cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkSchieldrop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,077
Message 1 of 9

x260 internal battery discharged first - is this normal?

New Lenovo x260 and I love the machine. I noticed that the system uses the internal battery and discharges it to 5 percent before switching to the external battery. This behavior seems contrary to what is stated in the Lenovo settings application that indicates the swappable 3- or 6-cell battery (i have both) will be discharged first, then the internal battery is discharged. It then charges in the reverse order -- internal battery charges first, then the external battery.

Is this something that can be adjusted? Will the system occasionally use the internal battery first? I am using only genuine Lenovo external batteries and both are healthy and get used and charged just fine.

The only thing that I can imagine I've done to create the problem is by reinstalling the system image from a recovery disk I created before doing anything with the machine. That story: The instant I booted into Windows 10 for the first time upon recieving the new machine, I created recovery media. I formatted the machine and tried to install Windows 10 professional using a serial I own but I encountered an activation issue. As a result, I abandoned my effort to run a clean install, booted the USB recovery key I created and restored the system to the Lenovo factory state with all the drivers installed and the nifty Thinkpad wallpaper, and so on. So I am using the system with a factory image.

Or is this just normal behavior?

Thanks in advance.

MarkSchieldrop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,032
Message 2 of 9

Re: x260 internal battery discharged first - is this normal?

So a small update. I kept using the machine until both batteries were mostly drained. Then, with the machine still running, I removed the swappable battery and then plugged in the AC cord to begin charging just the internal battery. I reconneced the external battery and the weird thing was that it didn't show as connected according to the Windows battery meter. But the main battery kept on charging. I rebooted and now both batteries are showing properly and the main battery continues to charge while the swappable battery is doing nothing, apparently waiting its turn to be charged. I'm going to let the machine fully charge both batteries and then disconnect the AC adapter and see what happens. I'm hoping that the external battery begins discharging first and this whole thing was just a fluke.

MarkSchieldrop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,020
Message 3 of 9

Last update: the machine is behaving normally. The secondary battery discharges first. 

I'm glad it works now but I'm wondering what I did to make it behave differently. 

Former Employee
Views: 6,786
Message 4 of 9

Think Engineering has identified an issue on X260 and T460 ThinkPads where the internal battery discharges before the external battery, instead of the external battery discharging first as designed.

A solution will be made available via BIOS release. I will post again when I receive the publish date.

Thank you,

MarkSchieldrop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,607
Message 5 of 9

I appreciate the response and the fact that this issue was explored, a fix was identified and I was kept informed through th eprocess. This is great customer service and one more reason I'm glad I bought a ThinkPad.

muaomadi
Paper Tape
Views: 6,358
Message 6 of 9

I had the same problem, My bettery for thinkpad X260 wont last more than 4 hours whether on internal/external. Is there any update on bettery draining issue from the support. I had last time they to get back on BIOS update
cgknight1
Paper Tape
Views: 6,296
Message 7 of 9

That's a different problem - our issues is the order the batteries are used - it hasn't impacted the length our batteries last. 

Former Employee
Views: 6,207
Message 8 of 9

In response to customer reports that the internal battery discharges before the external battery, instead of the external battery discharging first as designed, on X260 ThinkPads, Lenovo has released a solution via BIOS update.

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE

Version 1.21

[Problem fixes]

- Fixed an issue related to incorrect battery charge/discharge sequence.

BIOS v. 1.21 can be downloaded here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-X-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-X26...

Thank you,

Developer_Mode
What's DOS?
Views: 4,666
Message 9 of 9

The new version BIOS 1.25     23/12/2016 not charge the secon battery, i made roll ack for solution

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors