Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DWSpiro
Paper Tape
Views: 1,421
Message 1 of 12

x270 M.2 SSD Upgrade to 1TB not recognized

I have a 512GB 42mm (2242) SSD in the M.2 slot.  I use that as my primary for boot, etc.  Have a second drive in the conventional slot.

I just bought a 1TB of the exact same drive to upgrade the M.2 - but my Thinkpad isn't recognizing it.  I know the drive is good because I have a M.2 - USB adapter and it recognizes it there.  

Any thoughts?  Do I need some sort of driver or BIOS update that I'm unaware of, or does the hardware simply not support this?  I suppose I could initialize and format the drive in the USB slot and then see if it works in the M.2 slot, but wanted to ask the community first.

David

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,386
Message 2 of 12

Re: x270 M.2 SSD Upgrade to 1TB not recognized

Hello and welcome,

How/where is it not recognized?  Not seen in BIOS?, not in the boot menu?, not seen by your Windows (or other OS?) installer?, ...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

DWSpiro
Paper Tape
Views: 1,382
Message 3 of 12

Exactly - doesn't show up in the BIOS, doesn't show up in the Boot Menu, doesn't show up in the Disk Management.  The 512GB shows up fine, but when I put the 1TB in there, it's as if nothing is in there.  But I know it's not the drive because it works fine in the M.2-to-USB adapter.  It could be that the BIOS doesn't support larger drives in M.2

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,381
Message 4 of 12

Checking parts list:

https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/x270_20k5_20k6_20180305.pdf

The M.2 2242 Sata 6 GB/s would be in the WWAN slot.

The traditional Sata slot would hold a Sata 6GB/s  2.5 " SSD or a Sata HDD

-or-

would be a M.2, 2280, PCIe 3x4.

Storage:
System has one HDD slot or one M.2 2280 slot exclusively for storage

Some: HDD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high, Active Protection System

Some: SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high (e.g. xxxGB SSD)

Some: M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2, 16Gb/s

Some: 128GB M.2 SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, in WWAN slot as 2nd Storage, mutually exclusive with WWAN and WiGig   ****this is 2242*****

http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad_X270

If I understand, you are trying to put 1TB  M.2 2242 Sata SSD in the wwan slot, to upgrade what is there(the M.2 2242 sata SSD 512 GB)? 

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,368
Message 5 of 12

You need to put the 1TB 2242 in your adapter and clone the 512GB over, then swap them.

The 512GB is your boot drive.

=

What is your machine type and model?

Your setup sounds strange.

Your boot should  be a HDD spinner or a pci/e NVME per PSREF.

http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad_X270

If you added a 2242 Sata in the wwan slot, it would be a data drive, secondary, not a boot drive.

You state:

doesn't show up in the Disk Management. 

This implies your other drive is the boot drive. 

Just go into disk management and format it. 

==============

Shop lenovo shows this:

• 500 GB 7200 RPM
  • Up to 512 GB PCIe SSD 

DWSpiro
Paper Tape
Views: 1,356
Message 6 of 12

I have a 20K5S24A08.  In all of my Thinkpads, I've had both an SSD in the WWAN and a conventional HD in the main bay - BUT I've used the WWAN as my C: drive to boot from and with my operating system, etc. and the conventional HD as data - because obviously it's slower but has a higher capacity.  But, that conventional drive also has an operating system on it (because I once had an SSD die, so I need to be able to have a backup in case of emergencies)

The M.2 in the WWAN slot can only be 42mm, and up until recently, the largest 2242 you could find was a 512GB. For the past 6 months or so, I had the 512GB.  When I put that in, the BIOS recognized it immediately and I was able to install an operating system, or clone it, or whatever.  The 1TB is now in there and the system does not detect it - as if there is nothing in the slot.  So, even if I clone it via the USB adapter, I don't think that it will be detected.

The reason I was able to say it wasn't recognized even in Disk Management is I did a test of booting from the conventional drive.  The 1TB in the WWAN slot is not detected.  Nothing is detected. 

So, my hunch is that the BIOS doesn't support a 1TB in the WWAN - because obviously the drive works in the USB adapter.

But if there's something else I could try or any other ideas, that would be gre
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,351
Message 7 of 12

Understanding now. Your OEM drive(your now secondary is bootable) as is your 2242 512GB in wwan slot.

Booting your OEM drive with 1TB 2242  device shows nada and you want this to be your future boot drive.

Will research and tell you what I find about 1 TB 2242 sata restrictions in WWAN slot.  Thanks for clarifying your setup.

=

I added a Sata SSD to my system. Cloned the Sata HDD to SSD since I have several bays, I keep the HDD  boot drive unplugged with OS there. ie, got burned as you say.  My data drive is in 3rd bay HDD. I have a desktop.

I clearly understand your setup now.

DWSpiro
Paper Tape
Views: 1,345
Message 8 of 12

Thanks.  Yeah, it's odd.  Not only that but, as I said, the 1TB isn't recognized in the WWAN under any circumstances, but IS recognized in the USB slot with the adapter.  The only thing I can think of is that a controller on the M.2 isn't somehow being recognized by the BIOS, but through the USB adapter, it is....odd.  

I'm still experimenting so maybe someone has insight.  Since I don't know anyone that has gotten their hands on these new 1TB drives, I guess I'm the guinea pig!  :-)

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,341
Message 9 of 12

Oink.  I think your hunch is right, will verify.

*disclaimer*

I do disaster recovery for a living on mainframes. 

As you state, burnt. Clever works.

No one wants to boot to a blinking cursor or worse.

DWSpiro
Paper Tape
Views: 1,339
Message 10 of 12

I should add that when the 1TB M.2 SSD is in the WWAN slot and the computer is booted from the conventional drive, it also doesn't show up in the Device Manager - not even as an Unknown Device.  Again, it's as if nothing is in the WWAN slot...which, again, leads me to believe the BIOS doesn't recognize it at all.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors