Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
levon
Punch Card
Views: 1,214
Message 1 of 3

x270 hd vs fhd - which to get?

I need some advice about the displays for the x270 – is the HD display on the x270 an IPS? I didn’t find this info here https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/ThinkPad-X270/p/20HNCTO1WWENUS0/customize?...!

My current x240 with has HD resolution (I can’t tell if it’s IPS or not) model 20ALCTO1WW – I’m considering replacing it with the x270.

I’ve heard good things about the FHD display but I’m concerned that with the FHD panel my font size will be too tiny for my 50+ year old eyes in its native resolution. I’ve heard that scaling the display results in suboptimal rendering/quality of text/fonts.

Has anyone looked at both versions of the display? How do they compare? I’ll be using the system for mostly coding/writing and perhaps watching some videos. No Graphics or PS intensive work. Might hook it up to the tv from time to time (not that often)

The display on the x240 isn’t the greatest (could be brighter for sure) but it works fine, so I could probably do fine with the same type for the x270 – or is there something that I ought to consider?

Thanks!

PS: FWIW, I’m planning to get the i5-7300 model with 16 GB RAM and the 500 GB drive (that I plan to replace with a standard SSD 500 GB or 1TB drive – hopefully not a problem).

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 1,202
Message 2 of 3

Re: x270 hd vs fhd - which to get?

According to the PSREF of the X270, the HD screen comes both in IPS and non-IPS variants. Here are the possible display types for the X270.

• Some: 12.5" (317.5mm) HD (1366x768), anti-glare, LED backlight, 220 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 500:1 contrast ratio
  • Some: 12.5" (317.5mm) HD (1366x768), anti-glare, LED backlight, IPS, 300 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 800:1 contrast ratio, 170° viewing angle
  • Some: 12.5" (317.5mm) FHD (1920x1080), anti-glare, LED backlight, IPS, 300 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 700:1 contrast ratio, 170° viewing angle

The PSref document can be found here: http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20X270/ThinkPad_X270_Platform_Specificatio...

Are you planning to buy from a store, second hand or from Lenovo? If you can get the exact model number, you can check in the PSref if it has an IPS display or not. Here you can find the different model numbers and the exact specs: http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X270

So if the model is 20HN0003US then you would look up 20HN0003** in that table and see that it is a HD screen with IPS. But not all HD screens are IPS. The last two characters of the model are usually the country/area identifier.

I have an X1 Yoga (first generation, from 2016), and have been using display scaling on its screen since day 1. I choose the higher res WQHD screen. In native resolution, fonts would be way too small for my taste. Windows 10 has improved since then, and current versions of it support display scaling quite well. Unless you run some really old Windows software that doesn't support proper scaling, I would say you can get the FHD screen. So all browsers, Office apps, etc support display scaling properly nowadays. 

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | C630 WOS | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
Kevliu78
Token Ring
Views: 1,178
Message 3 of 3

Re: x270 hd vs fhd - which to get?

If you can and don't mind to add a little bit few more bucks, try to get FHD non touch screen display.

Guarantee you won't be like those users, after usage for few months and looking for upgrade.

Cause due to HD TN screen was too bright.

Unless you plan for words and non web browser and no entertainment laptop.

Get the HD specs shouldn't be bigger issue in future.

Thanks 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors