Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephenfried
Paper Tape
Views: 2,728
Message 1 of 4

x300 port replicator problems with windows XP

just got my enhanced USB port replicator for the x300 and here's the problem--it won't let me make my separate monitor (which I work on when at home) the primary monitor with my desktop icons and the line on the bottom. the machine allows this when the vga monitor is plugged directly into the the thinkpad, but not when it's plugged into the replicator. can someone help me with this. I refuse to give lenovo $70 to answer a question I should be able to get answered for free on a new piece of hardware (but don't get me started)

actually, just to follow up on this, I found buried deep in the documentation for the port replicator information that it doesn't work properly switching displays with a monitor in windows XP--just in vista--and IBM is "investigating" this. In the meantime, I just discovered that the port replicator also disables the microphone on the internal camera on the x300 so skype can't use it. it still allows the camera itself to work, but not the mike. if I don't find out that there are solutions to this, I will be returning and uninstalling the port replicator, and I would recommend that anyone using XP give serious thought to whether the replicator will ever work for them (and, if not, whether this is a serious problem, since it makes unplugging the x300 and picking it up a lot more complicated.

if anyone knows how to help me with this, I'm really unclear how to proceed.
stephen
danandersen
What's DOS?
Views: 2,685
Message 2 of 4

Re: x300 port replicator problems with windows XP

The problem isn't with XP. The port replicator also doesn't work with Vista.
stephenfried
Paper Tape
Views: 2,681
Message 3 of 4

I assume you've seen this:
delicately titled:
"Known limitations for the Lenovo Enhanced USB Port Replicator (43R8770)"
mlbeep
Paper Tape
Views: 2,658
Message 4 of 4

I have the same setup (X300 and XP) and found that the best you can do is mirror the view of the laptop by useing the "Fn" and Spacebar keys (tap both at the same time and the screen on the external will flash between resolutions).  Works with my HP 2207 monitor.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors