Did you mean: 
athibault
Paper Tape
Views: 913
Message 1 of 5

x40 strange beeps

Hi everyone!

I don't know anything about computers!

I bought a used X40, and now I am hearing strange beeps every now and then. It seems to be coming from the hard disk. I say "seems" bc I have read that HDs don't beep. Well, all I can say is that it "seems" to be coming from there. It is not the really loud sort of beep that happens when you open or close the lid or do other things. I've turned all those off. Nor is it the keyboard beep from hitting certain keyboard combinations. It's a quieter sort of beep. Just sort of a "blip".

I can't correlate it with any activity. It will beep every few minutes even when I'm not touching the computer. It seems to happen after I've been using it for a while - just typing a Word document. It also seems to happen after the computer has come out of sleep mode.

Any ideas about what this means, or how to deal with it?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 889
Message 2 of 5

Re: x40 strange beeps

Can you post a recording of it?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
athibault
Paper Tape
Views: 882
Message 3 of 5

I don't know how to do that. Maybe saying it's a "blip" was confusing. It's a beep. I just meant to convey that it is a very short, not very loud, but definitely noticable beep. It happens whether plugged in, or just using the battery. I've downloaded all updates for the BIOS.
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 879
Message 4 of 5

maybe load the sound to youtube, then post a link here. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 647
Message 5 of 5

i think i know the sound. kinda like snapping a lid on tupperware, right?  it's probably the hard drive. i have three x40s and i just changed the hard drives around. the one has a 40 gig that makes that sound. the 60 gig doesn't and the 20 gig doesn't just the 40. it'll do it in any computer i put it in. the internal disc reader makes the sound,  when i was cloning it i could really hear it. it just makes that sound whenever, especially when i'm downloading something, or running an application. put your ear on the left palmrest when it does it and see if that's where it's loudest.  as far as i can determine its a normal sound for that particular hard drive.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors