Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmtrich
Paper Tape
Views: 5,039
Message 1 of 9

x61 BIOS update with BIOS Update Utility 7nuj21us.exe Failed

I just restored my x61 to original settings due to a problem with blue screens, and decided to update the BIOS right afterwards.  I followed the directions precisely and it installed all 21 of the individual components for this model. 

I then shut down the computer and turned it back on this morning to continue loading software.  The system started with the fan running at high speed and stopped at the ThinkPad Screen.  However, nothing happened after pressing the ThinkVantage button and F1 or any other button for that matter.  I left it for a couple hours, but finally determined that I could not turn it off or do anything with the machine.  It just hung there.  I did finally remove the battery and replace it, and now there is no power registering when the machine is plugged in and it won't start.

Is there something I can do to recover the system?  I suspect the answer is a board replacement.  The BIOS update failed in conjunction with something on my computer.  I am just 2 years into the warranty period in the US, so if I need to replace the board, what are the best options?

Thanks for your help and comments....this is a very frustrating turn of events, since it is my work machine.

dmtrich
Paper Tape
Views: 5,001
Message 2 of 9

Re: x61 BIOS update with BIOS Update Utility 7nuj21us.exe Failed

I forgot to add, this BIOS version 2.21 that came out on 11/4, and I downloaded it on the 6th.  Can there be a problem with the BIOS version?

Former Administrator
Views: 4,913
Message 3 of 9

Dmtrich,

We can certainly download it and flash a system here just to be sure.  

Sorry that you had this trouble, I've sent you a PM and email and we can follow up there to work through your specifics.  Thanks for letting us know about your troubles!

Best regards,

Mark

dmtrich
Paper Tape
Views: 4,677
Message 4 of 9

Mark, thank you for being so responsive and helpful with my issue.  My system is now running just fine, so you have helped convert what I thought was a door stop back into my favorite laptop!  This is why I buy Lenovo's in my company....for not just the great engineering, but also he great support.

Dave Rich

www.myeego.com

noochi01
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,165
Message 5 of 9

Mark,

I was wondering if yo uhad any thoughts on this.  I had a brand new, perfectly good working Thinkpad x61s until a few minutes ago, when I updated the bios per the thinkpad System update.  That was the only update I performed.  Power was connected, but during the bios update, the system blue screened.  I shut it down, turned it back on, but the device won't boot.  At first, the Numlock, CapsLock, power and battery lights illuminate, but then only the power/battery, and z with circle light are illuminated.  Pressing CapsLk does not turn the caps link  back on.

I've removed the battery and power, and let it sit for a while, then reconnect, but no luck.  The screen does not present a display and remains black.  Any thoughts?

The X61s does not have a CD drive.

dogfluffy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,815
Message 6 of 9

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem. I boot to a black screen only after the system rebooted itself during a BIOS update. Could you also send me those instructions? Thanks, John
piatpif
Paper Tape
Views: 3,421
Message 7 of 9

Exactly the same thing just happened to my x61. It is still under warranty. Is there anything I could do myslef or just need to send it to lenovo?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 3,398
Message 8 of 9

@piatpif wrote:

Exactly the same thing just happened to my x61. It is still under warranty. Is there anything I could do myslef or just need to send it to lenovo?

you should send it in for repair, there is nothing that you can do from your end, the motherboard needs to be changed out. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Involute
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,534
Message 9 of 9

So I'm on BIOS v2.20 and I'm having trouble upgrading my HDD.  I figure I should at least upgrade to the latest BIOS version, but doing so seems to be bricking a number of people's ThinkPads.  This as recently as March, even though the latest BIOS version has been out since last November, with no sign of any change.  What am I supposed to do?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors