02-19-2008

Australia

17 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 1 of 8

x61 vs x61s

2008-02-19, 8:32 AM
The Lenovo website is not very informative. I know the x61s has the low voltage processor. Can someone fill me in on the other differences?
- The x61s has an option of an ultralight screen. Is this better or worse than the standard screen? I'm particularly interested in viewing angles. Is it much lighter?
- Does the non-ultralight x61s have the same screen as the x61?
- Are the two machines the same size?
Thanks.
Options

302 Posts

12-12-2007

Germany, near Hamburg

310 Signins

8837 Page Views

• Views: 8837
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: x61 vs x61s

2008-02-19, 10:47 AM
You can take a look into Lenovos Tabook, a PDF document which lists all actual common US Thinkpad models and also most of their specs, see...

--> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pcinstitute/psref/tabook.pdf

...and compare the two models. The dimensions of the X61 and X61s are nearly identical, thought the X61s weights a little bit less than the X61 and is also some millimeters slimmer. However there are some X61s models available with an TMD Ultralight (UL) TFT panel, which is more luminant and weights less than the other offered panels. If you want the most luminant TFT panel available for a X61-Series notebook, than you should go with a model which has that UltraLight panel build in.

All the other X61 and X61s non-UL panels are mostly similar in specs and there aren't much differences in their viewing angles.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Options

9 Posts

02-19-2008

Australia

17 Signins

196 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2008-02-20, 0:14 AM
Thanks for the reference, it provides useful information on the differences between the x61 and x61s. Shame it doesn't have the model numbers available in Australia.

Has anyone seen both the standard and ultralight screens. Apart from brightness, are there any quality differences (colour, viewing angles etc)?
Options

302 Posts

12-12-2007

Germany, near Hamburg

310 Signins

8837 Page Views

• Views: 8837
  • Message 4 of 8

2008-02-20, 11:08 AM
You can find some comparison pictures of the X-serie panels on the net, for example at the thinkpads.com forum...

--> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=40404

Do some search for the X-serie panels there and also take a look into the X-serie section there, you should find a lot of postings, informations and opinions related to the X61 vs. X61s notebooks and their panels there.

Also if you have possibly some Thinkpad-Center near the place you stay in Australia, which might have both models exhibited, you maybe want to visit that center, in order to take a closer look yourself after the panels. - Of course I don't know if you have such Thinkpad-Centers in Australia, in Germany for example we have some of these in the bigger cities.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Options

9 Posts

02-19-2008

Australia

17 Signins

196 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2008-02-21, 6:28 AM
Thanks. However, looking through the US model sheet referenced in one of the posts above, it looks like all the ultralight models have been withdrawn. Finding out which models are actually available in Australia is not easy. Lenovo's Australian website seems to  have only a weak relationship with reality (eg one model is listed as New on the website, but our supplier says it is now EOL!).
Options

7 Posts

02-23-2008

US

9 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 6 of 8

2008-02-23, 4:26 AM
My x61s with ultrlight screen cme  on Wednesdy. Note on this computer I m missing some letters- sorry- hope you cn red it nywy!

I dislike the screen! It is giving me so much eyestrin I my hve to return the computer! Even on the lowest brightness setting, it cuses eyestrin. I'm not exctly sure why, but I think its brightness/glow mkes it look like the screen extends closer to me thn it relly does - like it's hovering in spce - so my eyes try to focus on the wrong surfce, which produces the eyestrin.

I wish I hd seen the site mentioned in this emil. I hd tried to get specs on the screens before I bought it, but ws unble to. I hd gone to the forum to discuss the x series nd followed dvise which turned out not to work for me. I ws told with its 15 levels of brightness, you just turn down the brightness. So I thought it would be fine- i selected it becuse it ws lighter nd I wnted  mchine tht ws s light s possible. I know i'm unusul becuse mny people seek out bright screens nd I do not like them - but I wonder how mny people hve eye strin from it wihtout relizing its cuse.

But i've never seen the regulr screen, so I cnt be sure. I'm in the US nd cn not find either model on disply nywhere nerby to exmine them (I tried before I bought).

here's  question tht I hve - if nyone could possibly direct me to the nswer, I would be gretful. I hve n old thinpd - ncient- it's n X21. I love the mchine nd the screen. I cn't find specs on it either (not even on the mchine itself). Does someone know how to get specs so I cn compre tht screen to the new screens. I would love to be ble to duplicte this one exctly- is tht impossible now? Did they lso use the florescent bcklights bck then too? (i've wonder if its tht tht bothers me too). I think my x21 is ctive mtrix, but m not 100% sure nd it would be gret to compre the specs. bsed on the x61s specs from tht link, the ultrlight is 180 nits nd the regulr is 150 nits. I"d like to know wht it is on my x21- if it cn be compred.

I note ll the screens on those spec sheets sy "nti-glre" is tht the sme s "mtte" finish or is tht someting else. my x21 I beleive is mtte. the new x61 s tht I got looks like there's tons of glre-looks glossy to me even though I thought it ws supposed to be mtte (bsed on the forum info- it does not stte tht on the website).

thnks

it will suck to hve to return it, but I might hve to. nd presumbly hve fight on my hnd over the 15% restocking fee.

help on the X21 question gretly pprecited. nd if nyone hs seen the two screens, like the originl poster, I'd like to here their comments on how they compre.  

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23522 Signins

803300 Page Views

• Views: 803300
  • Message 7 of 8

2008-02-23, 4:43 AM
eyeshurt wrote:
Does someone know how to get specs so I cn compre tht screen to the new screens.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

7 Posts

02-23-2008

US

9 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 8 of 8

2008-03-16, 16:20 PM
Thnks very much for posting the site where the specs on discontinued models re. It ws most interesting. So my old X21 ws only 125nits! Sure wish I knew ll the specs before I bought. The relese dtes re interesting too - I remember I got mine when it first ppered nd got one of the very first ones fter I kept bugging the becuse so much time hd pssed nd htye didn't send it.  couple of months lter, bsed on those specs, it looks like they strted using the screen tht ws 150 nits. The X61s with the ultrlight (ultrbright) screen is 175 nits. No wonder it ws so bright...The X61s nd X61 with the regulr screen is 150 nits. Not sure if the scle is liner. If so, the ultrlight screen ws 40% brighter thn m old one, nd the regulr screen should be 20% brighter. The old one I use on the second to lowest setting (8 grdtions), so hopefully the new one on the lowest setting should be cceptible.

Guess I shouldfollow the threds now of the X300. If i'm not mistken it hs n LED bcklight. I don't like string into florescent lights, so perhps I'd like the LED bcklight better-perhps cn even tolerte greter brightness.

(nd the X61s lso got so hot it turned my wrist red. Besides the screen, I cn't sy I ws ll tht crzy bout the mchine fter I tried it out for  few more dys).

thnks gin for those specs
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms