Germany, Göttingen

4 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 4

x61s thermal problems

2009-04-05, 21:27 PM
Hello,

I got my 'new' x61s (7666-E3G) a few days ago and are now fighting with a problem. When putting some load to the machine (encoding audio files, some number crunching, disk backup with TrueImage, starting WoW ... ) the thermal sensor 0x1c will soon (~10 min) pass 63°C and the cpu will start to throttle heavily. This is even more of a problem if the machine is placed in the dock or the LAN is connected as it produces a higher default temperatur. CPU and MCH temps are allways below 80°C regardsless of what I try to make them sweat.

System is Vista/SP1 All drivers and apps on the latest version.

Is there any idea what could be tried beside trying to get the service to work on it (which is an adventure on it's own as I'm just learning with my x60s)? Or is t maybe a comman problem?

Regards, Lars
Message Edited by Lars on 04-05-2009 04:59 PM
Options

20986 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: x61s thermal problems

2009-04-06, 1:31 AM

The X61s with the lower TDP processor should have less of a temperature problem than for the X61 with T7xxx processor, but then again the problem that you describe may arise if the heat sink and the CPU does not have a perfect contact, either due to improper installation or/and lack of thermal grease, did you get this laptop new or second hand?

If it is reaching 80 degrees celsius then i would definitely give Lenovo service a call, the last thing you want is a fried x61s done the road.  

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

2 Posts

04-05-2009

Germany, Göttingen

4 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-04-06, 2:08 AM

As far as I can tell is the processor temperatur not the problem. Intel specifies it for save use up 100 °C (and the MCH up to 105°C). And the close to 80°C where only used by unrealistic CPU abuse.

The problem (throtteling/shutoff) seems to be solely related to the temperatur of sensor 0x1c, that is as far as I can tell close to the ICH. This also would explain the temperatur raise when connection the LAN port to an other active device. As far as I can tell drom the Lenovo Sevic documents, is the ICH place on the opposite side of the system board (relative to the CPU/MCH). So I'm not sure if it would be this direcly affected by the CPU heating. Then again the machine is pretty small. I'm woundering if the sensor is reporting garbidge or there is some cooling missing or blocked? Or the throttle value (63°C) in the AHCI Bios is set to low?

The machine it self is 1 year old bought via a dealer from a Lenovo demo pool and looked like brand new when it arrived. At the moment I'm waiting for the 4 year onsite warranty extension I orderd together with the machine.

Regards, Lars
Message Edited by Lars on 04-05-2009 07:13 PM
Options

20986 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 4 of 4

2009-04-06, 2:51 AM

There are reports of the sensor giving erraneous value, if the laptop is very hot, then the heat vent would be very hot too, does that seem to be the case? Sometimes a minor liquid spill somewhere can cause the problem. 

If the sensor do give 20 or 30 degrees of erraneous value, when you run your laptop to saw up end of 60 or lower end of 70 degrees, then the sensor would transpose that to be 90, which BIOS will induce the laptop for automatic shutdown to prevent CPU meltdown.

So service is still a good thing in the long run.  

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save