Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

156 Posts

01-05-2012

Seoul, Korea

500 Signins

3336 Page Views

• Views: 3336
  • Message 1 of 8

After a month of usage, Helix has been a total disaster to me.

2013-06-21, 12:07 PM

I bought Helix 16th of last month. It was the first day of release of Helix in Korea. I made a payment on 16th, and recieved the package on 17th.

The first one had a failing battery, and I had to replace it from the day one. Strangely these things happened to me quite often before, so I just thought **bleep** happened and went over it.

During the first weekend, My new Helix started to develop strange symptom. it had a ghost touch on the middle of the screen. At first it happened when I was holding it with my one hand. In-spec, only a **bleep**ty engineering, I thought at first, but over the weekend it developed and by tuesday it was virtually unusable. I sent in the device again, and I had it replaced for the second time. After 2 weeks of usage(a very frustrating one, due to those KB battery failure issues and crashing OSs), the phantom touch came back, this time, even worse.

I sent in my new machine earlier this week. They said they couldn't get me a replacement anymore, because I had it for over a month already(It was a month and a day, and that day had to be delayed because the previous day was f*****g sunday. BTW, I had it for two weeks, the rest of the time you guys had it.). They did offer a repair, and the replacement part was also defective, and had to be ordered again. Now I am even starting to forget that I even had a Helix at all.

I purchased 3Years TPP warranty, and I bought LCD protection film for every Helixs I got. The transportation cost to service center and for replacements weren't cheap(I wanted to get things solved fast and used quick courier services. Never knew I was only calling for other problems every single time). I think I spent like additional 500 dollars on this machine, only to get more and more frustration over time. I don't think I can handle this in-service-for-a-month-for-two-weeks-of-usage for the next three years, and I decided to bail out. As soon as I get the repaired machine, I am going to sell it. Of course it won't get payed well,(who would want to buy a used and repaired machine?) and I will probably lose enough money to buy another laptop. but I think it will save me a hell lot of money in the end.

I've been always on the defending side when people were complaining that Lenovo is destroying ThinkPad values, and I was a tenacious one. But only after a course of a month, I think I'll turn to the other side. It's never an easy thing to change a person's stance, and Lenovo sure proved they could.

If you cannot convince a user to stop leaving his old laptop in his office as a backup for the new machine, it doesn't quite qualify as a business machine. You don't even have to say if he actually had to use that Backup, and even more so if he had to use that backup more than the new one.

To anyone who is keeping the Helix, good luck, and god bless you.

W540(Sold), Helix(Sold), Tablet 2(Sold), Tablet 10, X120e(Sold), X201 Tablet, X41 Tablet(Sold), X41, S30*4, X32*4, 701C*4
You could throw around your ThinkPad because it won't break.
You can still throw around your ThinkPad because it will break anyway even if you treasure it.
Options

39 Posts

04-19-2013

Canada

135 Signins

867 Page Views

• Views: 867
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: After a month of usage, Helix has been a total disaster to me.

2013-06-21, 13:01 PM

Kim, your story is depressingly familiar. In fact, I posted a message just like this in the forum in early June ("Helix: give up hope or get a replacement?")

I've been promised a replacement for mine, and I surely hope it solves my many problems -- but your story is not giving me confidence that it will. I'm still curious to know if there are a few people like you and me who are just having terrible luck, or instead it's basically everyone.

As you say, from the point of view of the reputation of the ThinkPad line, the Helix story is shaping up to be a sad one.

Options

156 Posts

01-05-2012

Seoul, Korea

500 Signins

3336 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2013-06-21, 13:15 PM

I don't know...but considering the massive number of complaints on malfunctioning Helixs on this forum, I don't think anyone could dare to be 100% sure that one will get a perfect Helix.

In my case, I decided to Give up on Helix and wait for...I don't know, X240T, maybe? Thinking of the limited options when looking for a device with high-res display and a Wacom digitizer, I don't think I could be able to make up my mind anytime soon. This I can be sure about, however: Lenovo will never have any advantages over all other makers in my list from this time on(yeah, that list include those cheap makers that stamp out dispensable laptops like Haier, or Hasee.)

In general, ThinkPad Helix is a good example of a tragic outcome of solid concept that cannot possibly fail(i7 processor with 8GB ram, with Wacom Digitizer, a KB dock with battery, and you can even flip the docking direction. How could it fail?), that has met with a horrible, horrible execution.

If Lenovo was trying to present their idea of ThinkPad's new DNA through the Helix, then their Double Helix is nothing but a pitifully deformed, inferior one that will not survive the natural selection.

W540(Sold), Helix(Sold), Tablet 2(Sold), Tablet 10, X120e(Sold), X201 Tablet, X41 Tablet(Sold), X41, S30*4, X32*4, 701C*4
You can still throw around your ThinkPad because it will break anyway even if you treasure it.
Options

50 Posts

04-27-2013

USA

65 Signins

273 Page Views

• Views: 273
  • Message 4 of 8

2013-06-23, 11:48 AM

Loving my Helix, the poeple who dont probably hang around here much more than those who dont. Im too busy using mine. Sorry youre having this experience, Lenovo should white glove your case asap.

Options

156 Posts

01-05-2012

Seoul, Korea

500 Signins

3336 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2013-06-24, 8:40 AM

As a matter of fact, I loved Helix untill the third week.

When it broke down for the third time and Lenovo began to play bad jokes, like no more device replacement because a month and A DAY has passed since the purchase, or the replacement part coming in DOA, OR like they are not getting a new replacement part until wednesday(f***, I sent it in last monday!), I decided to give up on it.

Do all Chinese "business machines" have operating ratio, like 20%? Give me a break, obviously that's way below normal standards, even to Chinese.

Options

53 Posts

01-06-2013

Nebraska

67 Signins

392 Page Views

• Views: 392
  • Message 6 of 8

2013-06-25, 2:19 AM

You won't get a better replacement. I have had three already and they are all the same. Wobbly and loose fitting tablet and very wonky trackpad. It is very hard to write with the stylus while in clamshell mode when the screen wobbles back and forth so much. The other issue is that tech support doesn't even know how to support this device. Lenovo is really losing their mojo!

Options

156 Posts

01-05-2012

Seoul, Korea

500 Signins

3336 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2013-06-25, 8:34 AM

Lenovo called me to tell me another terrible joke(there's no other way I can describe it).

They called me today, and said the Helix should have to wait for another week due to the processing problems in their computers. Someone in Lenovo must have F***ed up in typing in numbers.

If they call me again and tell me there has been another problem, I will send a formal letter to Lenovo CEO to seriously propose to change their name into Lenovo Entertainment.

Their catch phrase will be "For jokes that suck"

Options

156 Posts

01-05-2012

Seoul, Korea

500 Signins

3336 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2013-06-28, 8:08 AM

Update : After several phone calls, they offered me a replacement.

Since Korea Consumer Protection Board will be officially backing me up for refund if this thing breaks down once again. I think I will keep this machine and see how it goes. If it does, I'll refund it immediately and that will be the end of me and Lenovo. I'll not break up with my old laptops, but with my old laptop MAKER.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms