10-08-2012

md, us

501 Signins

5976 Page Views

• Views: 5976
  • Message 21 of 30

Re: Biggest Disappointment- Helix

2013-07-16, 2:39 AM

Try to download tpfc (someone posted a link above), which is not complicated at all. The default fan speed is very conservative.

wrote:

Hi there,

Following on the problem with the Fan that I worte about few days ago, I sent my Helix to Lenovo repair center and got it back after 6 days. 

There was an enclosed notice claiming that they replaced LCD, system keyboard and WLAN. 

When I switched it on, the first thing that occurred was the fan went insane again making high noise.

I restarted but the problem persists.

I am disappointed and frustrated with this prototype called Lenovo Helix! 

Options

4 Posts

07-15-2013

United States

9 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 22 of 30

2013-07-16, 4:02 AM

After having my Helix for only a weekend I ended up sending it back. :smileysad:  At first I had the keyboard dock problem where it would drain the battery down even when plugged in. There was also the loud fans (though I could have lived with that). Then I realized that what I was sent didn't even match what I ordered. The Helix advertised a rear facing 5MP camera with autofocus and LED flash, but mine did not have any LED flash. Tech support told me no such thing exists even though it's still for sale on the site. This is all made worse by the fact that I still have a perfectly functional Thinkpad T22 and T30 from the 2000's. Isn't a decade enough time to work out this product?

What I'm most frustrated about is that it seems I cannot buy the device I want regardless of price or vendor. The Helix was spec'd almost perfect and it has a beautiful design, but if it doesn't work or meet specs or work it doesn't matter. My next runner up in equipment was the Samsung Ativ Q, but I don't like how the screen can't be detached or folded for protection, and it doesn't have the power of the Helix either (oh, and it's not for sale yet). The MS Surface is too small and has less battery life than my mobile workstation. Many other convertables don't have a stylus digitizer. I would have even bought one of the ThinkPad Twist series but they have only low resolution screens and are lacking in RAM.

I think I'm just going to strap a Wacom Cintiq display on my home built tower PC and roll it around on a battery cart for now...

Options

45 Posts

05-02-2013

US

203 Signins

847 Page Views

• Views: 847
  • Message 23 of 30

2013-07-16, 10:54 AM
you summed up my feeling about it and I haven't even purchased one...

thanks
Options

16 Posts

02-28-2014

United States

21 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 24 of 30

2014-03-24, 23:22 PM

I had the fan trouble when I bought mine but that TCP program stopped it instantly. It's fine now although I will say it sucked to draw with until I installed the new Wacom Feelit drivers.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 25 of 30

2014-03-25, 20:26 PM

Milo,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the dock firmware update and updated wacom drivers.

Mark

Options

88 Posts

05-04-2013

AU

163 Signins

1026 Page Views

• Views: 1026
  • Message 26 of 30

2014-03-26, 0:20 AM

After having the Helix for nearly a year now, I can't say my dissapointment has waned. Driver support is abysmal, glitches are frequent, and while as a power user I can get around them, why should I need to do this with my device?  I feel extremely sorry for any consumer level user who has bought a Helix.

In the past year I have had dozens of people ask me what it is, how much it cost, and where they can get it. I tell them they don't want one, and they should buy a Microsoft Surface instead. They might lose out on the i7, but the new intel graphics make up for it, and it isn't plagued with driver and hardware issues like the Helix, while costing less money and being better supported.

____
Lenovo Helix i7 256gb... wish I bought a Surface Pro for better support...
Options

4 Posts

07-15-2013

United States

9 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 27 of 30

2014-03-26, 3:14 AM

I ended up buying a Sony VAIO Duo 13 a month or so after returning my Helix. I've had it for many months now and it has been amazing. There were a few hiccups with initial driver updates and again with the change from Win 8 to Win 8.1, but nothing that a few cycles of the update tool couldn't fix. This machine is just as powerful as the Helix, has a bigger screen, more accurate pen input and better battery life yet it feels smaller and lighter weight than the Helix. I paid $1800 for nearly the top of the line (went for the 256GB SSD vs 512GB). Oh, and Sony was brilliant in providing the option of a factory-installed screen protector. Putting a screen protector on the Helix (or any other tablet sized device) was miserable. The Helix did have a better typing feel on the keyboard for sure, but the VAIO's is fine and has a more intuitive key/function layout.

Options

7 Posts

10-10-2013

MD

18 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 28 of 30

2014-04-03, 17:12 PM

I don't know what is the bigger disappointment, the Helix or Lenovo poor customer service.

I have had my Helix worked on 6 times now:

3 dock fan errors and keyboards had to be replaced

1 docking station went bad and they sent a new one

2 screen replacements due to the pen not working and then the touchscreen not working.

My company has paid for the next day guarantee for work on this device.  This has worked once as my usual wait is three weeks.

Screen was just replaced again today, and now the stylus works but touch screen won't.  This thing needs to be thrown off a bridge.  I keep contacting customer service but that's a waste of time.

Options

1 Posts

09-03-2014

brooklyn nny

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 29 of 30

Biggest Disappointment- Helix

2014-09-03, 21:14 PM

i got a thinkpad helix for my high school gradution i was so happy thinking it was the best ever... the biggest dissapointment of my life. the unit get so crazy hot its unbearable and the fun runs to the extreme.. very noisy.. im so fedup  ive sent it to be fixed and they told me thats the normal temperature biggest lie ever.i have lost all hope in thinkpad helix. . i do not recommend this product to anybody.. worst experiece of my life. and the worst part is the repressentative told me to have a good day after this.. i will not buy any lenovo product ever.. i do not recommend this for anybody. u will be really dissapointed

Options

7 Posts

10-10-2013

MD

18 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 30 of 30

2014-09-03, 21:49 PM
Just wait it only gets better. Mine has been worked on 8 times now, 3 dock fan errors, screen quit working, all internal parts had to be replaced, docking station has been replaced twice. My work is getting rid of my POS and I am going with a surface pro 3. Plus there are no bags out there for the helix that suits my needs.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete