Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

05-06-2008

Johnson City, TN

48 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 1 of 8

Bought X61T with Windows XP, How to Upgrade to Vista

2008-06-16, 20:03 PM
I bought my X61 laptop less than 2 months ago.  At that time I had Windows XP installed since that is what I was using at work.  This week I found out we are converting to Vista, so I thought I would upgrade my laptop as well.

From work I can get Windows Vista, Windows Vista Business, and Windows Vista Enterprise for free.  I can also purchase Windows Vista Ultimate for about $85.  (This is totally legitimate licensed software.)

My questions are:
  • Which version would be best for use with my X61 Tablet?
  • How challenging is the upgrade going to be?  What process should I follow? (Is there an easy location to download the needed firmware, etc.?)

Any assistance with this would be appreciated.

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Bought X61T with Windows XP, How to Upgrade to Vista

2008-06-17, 16:22 PM
Well, actually all versions of Vista besides Home Basic are included Tablet PC functionality. Thus, Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate are good for Tablet PC.

However, what Enterprise and Ultimate have more than Business Edition are Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA), Secure Startup (Cornerstone), Single Session Virtual PC, and Multi-Language User Interface (MUI), I believe.

Again Ultimate which is the flagship product will have all multimedia capabitiles as well while Enterprise does not.

So, briefly, they look like this.
Vista Ultimate = Vista Enterprise + media center
Vista Enterprise = Vista Business + some features above.

Now you have to decide which on you want to go with. I don't know if all media capabilities are worth $85 or not though.

For any drivers & ThinkVantage apps, you could find everything in Lenovo.com (Link)
What I can recommend is install ThinkVantage programs only what you need and have fun =)

Mod shortened URL to avoid breaking page format

Message Edited by sipp11 on 06-17-2008 09:28 AM

Message Edited by Tim_Lenovo on 06-17-2008 05:31 PM
Options

14 Posts

05-12-2008

USA

14 Signins

332 Page Views

• Views: 332
  • Message 3 of 8

2008-06-17, 17:46 PM
I would recommend vista business.  I usually disable most of the eye candy anyways (to speed things up).  Have you thought about 64 bit?  You might want to consider it, especially if you want to access 4gb memory. 

Also, do you have a 7200rpm harddrive?  Another worthwhile upgrade (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145160) Well worth the $144. :smileyvery-happy:

I guess I should also add something about your install questions....

Just use an external disk drive and boot your new OS disk from it.  Let windows it do its thing.  You can then go to the drivers site and download selectively (based on whats not working, and what is).  Or, you could also just use the software updater and let lenovo do the installs for you.  Be advised that this is an excellent time to prevent bloatware and unnecessary processes bogging your system down, so choose wisely... 

As for more detailed instructions...here is a handy guide for setting up an lenovo tablet from scratch: http://x61t.blogspot.com/ (Scroll down for the "Updated Clean Install for May 2008).  I'm sure this is what you were looking for.

-Buford

Message Edited by buford on 06-17-2008 10:54 AM
Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 4 of 8

2008-06-17, 20:07 PM
For 64-bit version, although it's good to be able to access full 4GB memory, you will lose some features because of compatibility as well. For example, a virtual printer in OneNote is not supported 64-bit yet.

If you don't have this kind problem with your regular program, you are good to go. :smileywink:
Options

287 Posts

11-26-2007

Raleigh, NC

580 Signins

11432 Page Views

• Views: 11432
  • Message 5 of 8

2008-06-17, 21:34 PM
Great advice in this thread!

Only other thing I'd think to add: make sure you have at least 2GB RAM. If you can afford it, go to 3GB RAM and a 7200rpm hard drive will help a lot as well.
-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
Lenovo Blogs
X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse
Options

14 Posts

05-12-2008

USA

14 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2008-06-18, 16:50 PM
Hey Tim_Lenovo: Can you remap your tablet pen?  :smileytongue:

-Buford
Options

9 Posts

05-06-2008

Johnson City, TN

48 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 7 of 8

2008-06-20, 12:15 PM
This has beeen a great thread.  The pointer to the X61 upgrade blog in particular was incredibly helpful.  I did the upgrade yesterday and all appears to be working well.  Thanks all for your help.
Options

14 Posts

05-12-2008

USA

14 Signins

332 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2008-06-20, 16:14 PM

tonypitt: For curiosity sake, upon a fresh system restart (after system settles down) how many processes are running? I have 97, but I've kept a few of the lenovo utilities (Presentation mgr, Wireless mgr, Power mgr).

I also have TPFan Control and Groove always running. Glad to be of assistance with your reinstall.

I used to have an x41 tablet, which had a super-slow 4200rpm harddrive. There were quite a few message boards dedicated to clean reinstalls of xp tablet, without the factory bloatware. (This was tough to do at the time because no one had access to xp tablet disks!!!) Doing this did make a huge difference, though.

However, I ended up going with Vista business when it came out. Yes, even on the super-slow x41--VISTA WAS BETTER. The machine was just way more stable and NEVER crashed or hung when coming out of (or going into) standby or hyb.

Things I would definitely advise you to do:

1. Set up Vista's indexing to your liking. Then set the power profile to max performance and leave the machine on overnight so windows can index all your files and emails, and settle down.

2. After everything is indexed you need to defrag your harddrive. Personally, I would uninstall diskeeper, or disable real time defragging. It just slows things down too much, imo. I also wouldn't rely on Vista's SCHEDULED defrag feature--Why? Vista will say, "Drive looks good!" But if you force it to defrag, it will often then spend 2-3 hours doing so. So just force it to defrag every couple of weeks.

3. Set up a power profile that doesn't suck. Most of the lenovo ones do. I'll give tips if requested.

4. Turn of Windows defender real time features and program checking--if defender messages annoy you and you don't want your HD always spinning.

5. ??? Others ???

Message Edited by buford on 06-20-2008 09:17 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms