Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

07-04-2013

United States

55 Signins

295 Page Views

• Views: 295
  • Message 11 of 90

Re: Brand New Helix: UltraNav unusuable

2013-07-05, 21:04 PM

Can someone from Lenovo comment ASAP? I need to decide if I should return my unit before the deadline.

Options

3 Posts

07-05-2013

United States

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 12 of 90

2013-07-05, 22:54 PM

Hi, 

I had a similar issue. Just go to the drivers page of the lenovo website and update the Synaptics drivers.

Here is the link I used - Drivers

Options

29 Posts

04-29-2013

Minnesota, USA

120 Signins

1489 Page Views

• Views: 1489
  • Message 13 of 90

2013-07-06, 0:31 AM

Mine works fine.

Options

31 Posts

07-04-2013

United States

55 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 14 of 90

2013-07-06, 1:27 AM

Would you mind trying those instructions very carefully to tell me if you can reproduce the issue? (The steps I give that lead to the red FAILURE case)

Options

31 Posts

07-04-2013

United States

55 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 15 of 90

2013-07-06, 1:28 AM

I've upgraded all of my drivers several times and nothing helps.

Options

112 Posts

07-05-2013

Appalchia

139 Signins

1447 Page Views

• Views: 1447
  • Message 16 of 90

2013-07-06, 13:06 PM
I wish I had my unit (helix) to test, as do have a U300 which I experienced some very similar issues with that version of UltraNav. However, adjusting the sensitivity for the mouse-buttons using the "Cypress" driver properties did help, some.
Helix: 3697 CTO.

Thinkpad user since IBM. I do not work for Lenovo or any entity working for Lenovo.
Options

11 Posts

06-22-2013

USA

8 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 17 of 90

2013-07-06, 22:13 PM

wrote:

Would you mind trying those instructions very carefully to tell me if you can reproduce the issue? (The steps I give that lead to the red FAILURE case)

I can confirm the behavior you described.

I have been struggling with TouchPad and TrackPoint problems from day 1.

Left-clicking with my thumb is particularly inconsistent. I am constantly having to lift my hands from the keyboard and using index finger to cautiously click on something. The maddening part is the inconsistency. For instance, as I am typing this I haven't any problem clicking around.

Middle-click is a joke, as you've already described.

Gestures are ridiculously inconsistent. Though I haven't figured out whether this is a Lenovo issue or if it's a Windows 8 issue or if I'm the problem. I will say this, gestures on my old MacBook Air were flawless. I've all but given up on gestures since my switch back to Windows from OSX, which sucks because they're **bleep** handy.

TrackPoint, after moving my mouse pointer with the TrackPoint it often meanders around the screen on its own. This isn't anything new in my experience with Lenovo, but it is happening WAY more often than I remember.

I really want to like the Helix but this particular issue is driving me nuts. Like you, I have been a Lenovo fan for many years, with the TrackPad/TrackPoint functionality being no small reason for my fandom. Unfortunately this TouchPad/TrackPoint problem may prove annoying enough to switch back to my MacBook.

Options

11 Posts

06-21-2013

Berlin

25 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 18 of 90

2013-07-08, 17:49 PM

I have these issues as well, in particular I am suffering from

Left-clicking with my thumb is particularly inconsistent. I am constantly having to lift my hands from the keyboard and using index finger to cautiously click on something. The maddening part is the inconsistency.

As a workaround, I purchased a Thinkpad USB keyboard with the traditional trackpoint buttons which I use most of the time instead of the keyboard dock - I keep the dock just for traveling.

Options

31 Posts

07-04-2013

United States

55 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 19 of 90

2013-07-09, 3:46 AM

hds: Your issue is the same as the one I described. Wherever your last finger started touching the pad, is where the click occurs - regardless of where you press the button. In your case:

1. If you touch with your left thumb on the far left of the pad.

2. Then lightly take your right thumb and put it on the middle button.

3. Then press down on the left side with your left thumb (even though it's already touching)
4. FAIL - It will show up as a middle click, when it should have been a left click.

It's the same problem that I described only in reverse. All of the buttons are jacked because the core logic for determining which button was pressed uses the wrong piece of information!

want the Helix to succeed. I really do. Heck, I even paid an additional thousand dollars pretty much (only) for this UltraNav/trackpoit experience. The Helix had one job - the UltraNav. And it's failing at that.

Please don't consider this a slanderous rant on Lenovo - I'm sure they'll do a recall on these units to fix the underlying issue but my time on the return period is running out. If I don't hear a response describing the plan for a fix, I have no choice but to return this faulty unit.

There are some other issues others may have experienced that seem solvable with updates, or are forgivable.

• 1. Exterme heat (assuming they can fix this in an update).
  • 2. Does not play HD video. Seriously, this is marketed as an HD media deivce + work laptop. Try watching HD video in iTunes - it will crackle and skip the whole time [Forgivable if they fix in an update]
  • 3. Shipped with misaligned back flap [Forgivable - Lenovo will fix this for me, I'm sure]
  • 4. Lots of junk software installed by default (can we please have a minimal install option?) [Forgivable]

All those are forgivable and/or covered under warranty. But the UltraNav/trackpoint? That is Lenovo's bread and butter. That's why I didn't purchase a Macbook Air. That's why I paid $1,000 more than a comparable tablet alternative. That was the Helix's one job. Again, other than this one mistake, I have a lot of respect for Lenovo's bulid quality and product, but Lenovo has left me feeling scammed out of an additional 1,000 dollars. I say additional because the first thousand dollars for the tablet portion seems more or less fair. Lenovo (Mark_Lenovo): Would you please redeem the situation? I really want to help. I really want this to be a story about how even a big giant company like Lenovo can see a lifetime fan/customer in distress and do the compasionate thing with a personal touch. I know you have it in you. Please don't let me down. My time is running out for my return policy.

Options

31 Posts

07-04-2013

United States

55 Signins

295 Page Views

• Message 20 of 90

2013-07-09, 3:48 AM

Note: people who naturally rest their right hand/thumb on the trackpad/middle-butotn will be more likely to say that the middle scroll doesn't work. People who naturally rest their left hand/thumb on the trackpad/left-button will be more likely to say that the left click doesn't work.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms