Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

68 Posts

06-21-2011

United States

201 Signins

699 Page Views

• Views: 699
  • Message 1 of 4

Buying a new Battery

2012-09-06, 16:28 PM

Hey, 

So I've had this thinkpad x220T a little over a year. i7-2620M, 8 gb, 128gb ssd.

The battery used to last about 6 hours. but now it is down to 3 hours. Is this normal? Is there a way to increase battery life? 

According to batterybar, there is 24.4% wear on the battery. Full Charge capacity is now 43,630mWh. Orginally 57,720

Battery Manager says that I have done 553 charge cycles.

I just changed my system performance to low from balanced to see if that does anything.

Should I buy a new one?

Thank you so much for the help

Options

6213 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28806 Signins

1649348 Page Views

• Views: 1649348
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Buying a new Battery

2012-09-06, 16:50 PM

'morning.

batteries are wear items and you've used yours pretty vigorously (553 cycles in a year), so ~25% drop in capacity isn't surprising depending on your charging habits. out of curiousity, how deeply do you generally discharge before plugging in? and, what charging thresholds, if any, do you have set in Power Manager? for reference: http://batteryuniversity.com/ has lots of good info on modern batteries.

i'd recommend getting another battery if your work style requires extended unplugged periods.

regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

68 Posts

06-21-2011

United States

201 Signins

699 Page Views

• Views: 699
  • Message 3 of 4

2012-09-06, 17:06 PM

thanks for the reply.

I usually try to use almost all of of the battery before I charge so I plug in around 7-10%. Occasionally I would plug it in on various percentages.

I am usually on my laptop all the time, and I was told to not leave the laptop plugged in for too long so I just unplug as soon as it is fully charged. 

I have no thresholds in place actually. Do you recommend I set some?

and I do not use power manager that often. I never have in the taskbar. I usually just open it and look at the settings then close the program. I dont know if it runs in the background.

Do you recommend me only use power manager over batterybar to keep track of the percentage?

Options

6213 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28806 Signins

1649348 Page Views

• Views: 1649348
  • Message 4 of 4

2012-09-06, 18:20 PM

'afternoon.

i have thresholds set in pm to start charging at 40% and stop at 100%. everything i've read states that regular deep discharges isn't good for li-ion batteries, so mine seldom gets below 20%. there is even some controversy about whether complete, "conditioning" discharges serve much purpose with modern li-ion batteries. i'll leave that to others to debate.

if you set %s like mine, even plugged in it won't charge until it gets down to40%, so no danger of being plugged in more often. also, these batteries have protection circuits that will slow the charging rate when it gets to ~95% and then trickle up to 100%.

i don't have pm's taskbar displayed either, just windows power icon. i can get to pm from there if i need to.

hth.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms