Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-17-2008

Sunnyvale, Ca

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 7

Disable Power Saving on X61 SD Slot

2008-07-17, 0:30 AM

Hi all,

I have a X61 tablet (7764-CTO) with 2Gb ram, intel turbo mem (used as readydrive only, not readyboost) with the multitouch screen.

I'm trying to use my SD Slot as a ReadyBoost device and bought an 8Gb Extreme III for this purpose. Windows Vista recognises the device and I created a 4Gb readyboost partition on the SD.

Everything is fine but then all hell breaks loose after about 10 mins.

My machine is freezing up, programs become completely unresponsive and I can't even shutdown gracefully. Even the task manager won't start.

After a day or so of seemingly intermittent failures which I had blamed on Vista (it hasn't been the easiest adoption so far). I realized that when my machine was locking up, the little SD light wasn't lighting up anymore. I popped out the SD card and my machine sprang back to life!

It now appears that the SD card slot powers down to save battery or some such after about 10 mins.

Other than popping the card out and stuffing it back in after any 10 min idle period, is there a way to prevent the SD slot and inserted SD drive from going to sleep or low power mode?

Thanks very much.

Frank.

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Disable Power Saving on X61 SD Slot

2008-07-17, 6:01 AM

oddly, I just tried doing the same as your configuration, but I haven't found any freeze you mentioned yet (2 hours so far); probably I have to test this for a while.

Test configuration:

7764-CTO, multi-touch, 3GB RAM, Intel Turbo memory as ReadyDrive only, 4GB SD as ReadyBoost (only 2.4GB though since I have data on it.)

System is pretty similar. I will report after a day or two if I have the same issue or not.

Options

5 Posts

07-17-2008

Sunnyvale, Ca

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2008-07-17, 19:20 PM

So this morning, I turned off ReadyBoost on the SD card but left it in. After about an hour of use, my computer started to freeze also. Internet Explorer was Not responding. I clicked on My Computer and it wouldn't open up.

Popped out the SD card and angels' trumpets sound and everything comes back up.

Options

5 Posts

07-17-2008

Sunnyvale, Ca

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2008-07-17, 19:25 PM
What kind of 4Gb SD card are you running?
Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2008-07-17, 23:29 PM

I use Transcend 4GB SDHC class 6 :smileysurprised:

So far so good, though I don't notice anything better than using Turbo memory as both ReadyBoost & ReadyDrive =) Sleep & wake up time, boot time, and almost everything are the same. Probably I will notice when I change back to Turbo memory solely.

Options

5 Posts

07-17-2008

Sunnyvale, Ca

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2008-07-17, 23:32 PM

I'm curious, are you using Lenovo's Power Manager or the Vista built in Power Manager? Anything special in your BIOS settings?

Thanks very much.

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2008-07-19, 6:41 AM

Well, I think I might have something interesting for you. First of all, I use Vista's power setting, but I do have ThinkVantage Power Manager for the sake of viewing battery info. Additionally I use Vista Battery saver which turn off Aero and sidebar automatically on battery.

In BIOS, I just turn everything I haven't used off and that's it.

For freezing problem, I noticed a second or two freeze when opening webpage > 2 tab at the same time which I never found before. At first, I though it was a performance issue since I was on the go, performance on power saver mode should be a bit less anyway. However, I still found this problem persisted when I'm on AC. So, I suspected ReadyBoost immediately--while Firefox was freezing (the rest was working just fine), I noticed that SD led was blinking continuously too. Eventually I disabled ReadyBoost and the problem was gone as well. To my conclusion, I think it's the performance limit causing the problem here. I don't say that SD is not a good option though, but I have only one SDHC class 6 to test, it just fails me. If you have better SD, you might get better performance =)

Now, I'm back on sharing ReadyDevice & ReadyBoost  on Turbo Memory only. I feel it performs better, at least in my scenario. To my knowledge, it's probably because of the faster bus on Turbo Memory, I guess. You may know that Turbo Memory is on PCI Express x1 while SD host controller is on PCI only. That mean almost 2 times in term of bandwidth theoretically as well. I would guess Turbo memory 2.0 which has larger (than 1GB) option available will shine the potential of ReadyBoost & ReadyDrive underneath than what we got in Turbo memory 1.0. (probably we might be able to get to replace ours, we'll see)

Note: I just notice that SSD on my Eee PC using PCI-e as well. I might try swap them for testing purpose and then report what is going on later.

Message Edited by sipp11 on 07-19-2008 01:51 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms