Options

27 Posts

12-26-2008

USA

143 Signins

425 Page Views

• Views: 425
  • Message 191 of 663

Re: Does anyone have x220t pen working properly on edges?

2011-09-14, 21:15 PM
I have received my x220 tablet w/ multitouch screen and here I am! In the world of horrible digitizer accuracy. I had X61T before for 4 years and after a week I am still can't get used to this. It is off by the two edges by about 0.5 - 1.5 cm, also it is not as accurate as my X61T overall. All despite numerous attempts to calibrate that thing.
Options

6 Posts

09-14-2011

United States

5 Signins

112 Page Views

• Views: 112
  • Message 192 of 663

2011-09-14, 22:23 PM

Proposing a solution:  I'm not savy enough to implement this myself, but some of you are, and levovo people def are.  So near the edges the tablet does some crazy non-linear offsets, right?  But theres no good way to reflect the non linearities because you only have one input, the pen itself, and when the computer thinks the pen is someplace that it isn't, you need a way to effectively say, "Hey computer, you're wrong by this |--x--| much, so get your act together", and then with enough fit data, a map can be tailored to each personal computer.  So, in tablet mode theres no way to express this offset error, and in laptop mode, the monitor is too wobbly to do it accurately, so what do you use?

Answer:  Arrow keys on a plugged in external USB keyboard, or the arrow keys on the keyboard when the monitor is flipped back and resting stably (you need to stay very stable for this to work.  A tech could do this for all those with warranties, and a user who has their own USB keyboard could do so as well.

Here's my vision:

The first question is what does the non-linearity approximate?  It's probably exponential at the edges from the look of it, at least two edges, and maybe all four, and maybe with different exponentials as you go along each ea\dge, so the calibration fit could be linear in the central portion, and then exponential at the border.

As the user moves the cursor to each edge in calibration mode, they provide several offset data points using the keyboard.   So they notice the cursor is off the pen tip, and hit the left/right arrow keys, and see a length bar erupt ouf ot the cursor that looks like this |-----x------| and they keep hitting the arrow key until the extreme of the length bar lines up with the actual pen tip as they see it, or where the cursor should be.  If its off vertically, then they hit the up/down arrow too and a height bar erupts as well like:

__

|

|

y

|

|  

and once they have the adjusted point located proximate to the actual pen tip location, they press the pen tip down and the calibration programs saves the point offset.  Do this 4 times per side, or 100 times, whatever, and an exponetial offset line can be fit to the data so that the cursor follows appropriately with the signal the digitizer is receiving.  The more sections with individualized fits, the more accurate the thing can be.  Theres not one single reason why it shouldn't be perfect and smooth.

Okay I'm done.  X220, I want to love you.  Is there a reason why this wouldn't work?  I feel like it would also help for lefties versus righties, because we all tilt the pen differently too and this map would solve that.

Cheers,

Gigs

Options

61 Posts

11-01-2008

Ragley, LA

751 Signins

5480 Page Views

• Views: 5480
  • Message 193 of 663

2011-09-15, 2:00 AM

@Gigs

If you can stand to go without for a while, it's probably best if you send it back and get a Fujitsu or something. I wouldn't count on Lenovo solving this anytime soon.

Options

53 Posts

06-27-2009

Poland

882 Signins

2839 Page Views

• Views: 2839
  • Message 194 of 663

2011-09-15, 14:45 PM

College starts soon and still no fix.

From the video above I can say it's way more off then X200T/X201T series.

Of course l don't expect perfect accuracy but I don't understand how newer model could be worse then the old one.

Thinkpads are dead and support is too. I'm happy that I didn't extend warranty or something because it's so pointless. There is still no fix or any news at all.

Lot's of people here give suggestions for free and Lenovo doesn't  even bother to response.

l would be happy to know if they are going to provide a fix or not.  If l get it working properly l won't be looking for a replacement for a long time. As you can see it's not worth it.  Seems like I should buy earlier X61T.

Hah, For those who do. Now, lenovo you do something !

Options

4168 Posts

11-20-2007

US

23520 Signins

803285 Page Views

• Views: 803285
  • Message 195 of 663

2011-09-15, 16:05 PM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

3 Posts

09-15-2011

Germany

107 Signins

391 Page Views

• Views: 391
  • Message 196 of 663

2011-09-15, 21:20 PM
Keep tracking this topic
Options

69 Posts

05-22-2011

US

502 Signins

1376 Page Views

• Views: 1376
  • Message 197 of 663

2011-09-15, 22:26 PM

Greetings!

I am also a X220T owner and follow this thread and another over at tabletpcreview with great interest. Taking the "more advocates the merrier for getting this resolved" approach, on top of efforts already underway by Mark & Jamez, I sent an E-Mail to a columnist of "On Your Side" in the print version of PCWorld.

In the message body I refered to the two threads http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Does-anyone-have-x220t-pen-working-properly-on-edges/td-p/454883 and http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/41601-x220t-pen-input-screen-edge-sensitivity.html to add credence and emphasize that it's more than an individual case. Although a long shot as they probably get a lot of submissions while only being an advocate for two to three cases per issue, I thought I'll give it a shot:smileyhappy:

Rob

Options

4 Posts

09-15-2011

Covington, Louisiana

3 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 198 of 663

2011-09-16, 0:23 AM

a  resounding .........  Y     E     S  !    But first the story, of course. I had called Wacom to get the download of the long-praised ideal replacement for the Lenovo digitizer-pen version, but they said it is no longer available to the public, .....but he took me (remote access) to the Asus site for what he said is the perfect version for the Lenovo x220t. He downloaded it, but a message said it too is not compatible with Lenovo laptops, .....and, by the way, the attempt also disabled my touchpad and trackpoint capabilities. So I contacted the Atlanta Lenovo Support site and he re-downloaded the current version of drivers for touchpad & trackpoint bringing them back to mint condition,   . . . . . .but ALSO re-downloaded the CURRENT version of Lenovo's DIGITIZER PEN DRIVER, and now it is working PERFECTLY, including perfect ACCURACY settings !  SO, the solution for solving the digitizer-pen accuracy problem is therefore to have the (apparently repaired update) CURRENT version of Levono's digitizer-pen DRIVER downloaded. Hope this posting helps you all,  . . . .it sure made my day !

Options

4 Posts

09-15-2011

Covington, Louisiana

3 Signins

32 Page Views

• Message 199 of 663

2011-09-16, 0:41 AM

Y  E  S   !     I contacted the Atlanta Lenovo IBM Support team, and they re-downloaded their CURRENT version of the digitizer-pen driver, and the accuracy on my digitizer-pen is now .......... PERFECT !

Options

4 Posts

09-15-2011

Covington, Louisiana

3 Signins

32 Page Views

• Message 200 of 663

2011-09-16, 0:45 AM

Y    E    S     !,  . . . .see the 'doingthenumbers' reply below.  Thanks !

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete