Portland, OR

433 Signins

1763 Page Views

• Views: 1763
  • Message 1 of 3

Dragging a window makes high pitch noise

2009-02-07, 2:11 AM

Hi,

I have a x61 tablet. When I drag a window(any window) using my track pointer or digitizer pen, or even external mouse, there is always this high pitch noise comming from somewhere. I think it is comming from the hard disk, but the HDD activity light isn't on while this happens. When the hard disk is on load,I only hear the hard disk noise which is even more quiet. When I move a window while the hard disk is working hard, I can hear the high pitch noise again. Maybe it is not from the hard disk. Where could this noise be comming from? This happens in both XP and Vista x64. This is very annoying!

4GB RAM, Multitouch, Bluetooth, WD 5400RPM 320GB HDD

EDIT/UPDATE

I should have posted an update much sooner, like a year ago. After I got my motherboard replaced, the noise is gone. The noise was coming from a circular device which looks like a capacitor.

Options

159 Posts

02-07-2009

Portland, OR

433 Signins

1763 Page Views

• Views: 1763
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Dragging a window makes high pitch noise

2009-02-19, 17:49 PM

I tried with original HDD that it shipped with, Hitachi 100GB 7200 rpm, same noise whenever I drag a window. WD 320GB 5400 rpm makes the same noise. I also tried intel SSD X25-m 80GB, same problem. The intel SSD is completely silent, so I know for sure that this noise is not comming from the hard disk.

Before I sent it in, I explained about the problem with a upper level technician since the first technician I spoke was completely a moron saying this is a software problem.

I called customer support today to check the status of my tablet. I was told the HDD and the keyboard was replaced. The 100GB hitachi was working perfectly fine, I even reimaged it using their own OS recovery disc right before sending it in. I was told the software was faulty, and they had to replace the hard disk for reimaging. For the keyboard, I don't know what the heck they were thinking. What a waste on time (for lenovo & me) and money(for lenovo). The reason I sent it in to depot was because the noise comming from somewhere on the motherboard and digitizer not working properly. I tried both XP tablet and in Vista. I'm going to get to the bottom of this.

My case number is 30TS6J9. I sent my laptop last Friday (2/13), and was told I would be receiving it today (2/19), though I have no tracking information.

7764 CTO Thinkpad x61 tablet

-Hoon

ps. btw, it really sucks that thinkpad x61 and t61 have a speed cap of SATA1 while the intel chipset supports SATA2.

Message Edited by hp79 on 02-19-2009 09:53 AM
Edit on 4/14/2011: SATA2 mod was done couple months ago. Go google. I'm getting SATA2 speed with my intel x25-m now.
On my third year of usage before my warranty expired, the motherboard was replaced. The noise was comming from a capacitor on the motherboard. It has a black thick sticker that kind of covers it and dulls the high pitch vibration. Once they replaced my motherboard, I no longer have that high pitch noise.
Options

77 Posts

11-03-2008

United States

79 Signins

560 Page Views

• Views: 560
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Dragging a window makes high pitch noise

2009-02-19, 20:00 PM
This sounds like the infamous "Penryn Whine".  It is unfortunately quite common with newer computers (especially those with quiet fans).
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms