Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Views: 748
  • Message 11 of 15

Re: External screen - Pen input reverse on X61Tablet

2008-01-19, 18:41 PM
Hey, thank you for the post, it is some sort of workaround, however will rather wait for true solution where un-assembling of the screen or lying upside down on the sofa to see the screen is not a must:-)

I have a comment to the explanation you did, although nice, it is not correct. I want to correct it so you and Lenovo/Wacom people know what really the problem is. You wrote: "Thinking about it logically the mouse works fine because it's input is local - on the screen where the application is. The pen input however must be made on the tablet screen, a different screen to where the yellow "write in" field is (it's now on the external monitor). This results in upside down and back to front results because the input, due to the settings, is rotated through 180° as is everything else."

Well, not true, the pen is always aligned according to the PRIMARY screen orientation, does not matter if it is tablet or external screen, not where the input application is. So thats why it works on the tablet screen when it is primary, because only in that case both screen and pen happen to have the correct aspect, because they are primary. The Wacom/Lenovo/workaround would be to change it, pen orientation should be the same as the orientation of TABLET screen, no matter which one is primary one.

I read that new Lenovo Presentation Director have some 180 rotating for tablet screen, however did not found it yet...

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 12 of 15

2008-01-20, 19:29 PM

wojciech_czyz wrote:
...snip..
Well, not true, the pen is always aligned according to the PRIMARY screen orientation, ..snip

sorry, i disagree. The pen and the tablet screen are always aligned / paired regardless of whether it is primary or not, they have to be concidered as one item, (the pen is useless without the screen).
You were talking about external screen as primary.
I think the problem is that the "write field" is correctly displayed on primary (ext), but, as you have to use the pen on the tablet screen, (in order to write in the "write field" ), the signal is getting rotated through 180° to the write field.

Message Edited by andyP on 01-20-2008 08:31 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Message 13 of 15

2008-01-20, 23:33 PM
Hello,
I am sure the problem of the Wacom/Lenovo driver is exaclty disalignment of the orientation of the pen and the orientation of the tablt screen, they simply follow primary screen orientation.

To be sure we define the case correclty, lets see all scenarios and lets see if we agree:
We start with one configuration common to all, we have External screen set as primary and tablet PC set as scondary one.

Scenario 1:
What we enter on the tablet PC using pen is affecting only windows on the Tablet PC. Applications visible on the External screen (primary) are controlled only with mouse. This is my desired configuration, I would work on my main application on the external screen and have OneNote or MindManager working on the tablet PC and make there notes using pen.

In that case it is clear, the Pen orientation must be the same as orientation of the Tablet, and follow rotation of the tablet screen only.

Scenario 2:
Pen is used as input for the primary screen. Personally, I do not see it of much use, as I do not see what I am writing on the same surface. However, if screen is blanked, it might be used in the same way as Wacom tablets are. I would still say, that orientation of the pen must be the same as orientation of the tablet screen, because if you can read the tablet screen you will also write on it in the same way. The only difference would be if tablet screen is blanked and used as Wacom pad, then you would have to say to the system how it is lying down in front of you. I would bet however, it would be the same orientation as last tablet orientation was.

So in 99% of cases I am back to the same conclusion: Pen orientation must be the same as orientation of the Tablet, and follow rotation of the tablet screen only.

Please correct me if I am wrong
Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Message 14 of 15

Microsoft is to blame/repair the issue

2008-09-17, 21:59 PM

Can any moderator / lenovo employee or friend of those follow up the issue to the Microsoft? 

I made more investigation with Wacom people, and it seems the bug sits in Vista itself. Here is the explanation of Wacom:

"The OS is in charge of rotation and cursor placement for integrated pen devices. The Tablet Input Service (wisptis.exe) on Vista takes the pen data from our driver and moves the cursor on the display [...] Unfortunately, it seems there is a bug in Vista that the Tablet Input Service uses the rotation value of the primary display to determine how to handle the cursor data."

So this proves the theory we discussed before and shows exactly where the bug is. Lenovo, please help in this issue!

Options

1 Posts

03-25-2011

HI

2 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 15 of 15

Re: Microsoft is to blame/repair the issue

2011-03-25, 2:03 AM

This issue has been around since 2008 without a solution that I have heard.  Anyone, especially some from Lenovo, know how to fix the problem of the pen input being inverted when the X201 (Win 7) is in tablet orientation and an external monitor is being used?  There is no problem when there is no external monitor in use.  There is no problem with an X60 (Win XP).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms