Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

01-31-2008

usa

7 Signins

198 Page Views

• Views: 198
  • Message 1 of 7

Factory Restore

2008-01-31, 3:59 AM
I just received my X61 back from warranty service. XSGA monitor bevel was unglued. I seem to have a different monitor now. I have a label on top that I didn't have when I returned unit for service. Also, I cannot change resolution back to 1440x1050. I can only go as high as 1024x768. I haven't used that res in years!!! I called them and it's going back again ... but wanted to try a restore first.
They said they installed updates ... and they did a bad job ... when I turned on system for 1st time I was greeted with "Unexpected system shutdown." ... great job they did!!

I didn't have anything to lose ... I cleaned off files before it had gone back (and it took months to get Vista running decently so I never installed much software). I've done the factory restore a few times before but now when I go to do it the option to restory factory settings is gone.

Clicking "Resotre your system" only gives me 2 radio buttons ...
1. Restore HDD including all personal data from a backup ...
2. Restore only Windows OS .... and when I click next it says to choose the backup to restory from ... and lists local, second hdd, usb, network .... can't find factory restore.

any ideas about the restore option or the monitor issue?

thanks.

Options

69 Posts

01-26-2008

United States of America

102 Signins

2056 Page Views

• Views: 2056
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Factory Restore

2008-01-31, 6:19 AM
my GUESS is:
an obvious screw-up and..
1. you have the wrong display..

2. not sure WHAT happened to your HDD but it is an ancient trueism is to NEVER send a HDD in to EZ Serve unless it is part of the problem..
and you sent it in.. :smileysurprised:

here is what I would do:
ask for the correct SXGA+ display..
and one that is as perfect as the one you sent in..

IF you have something on the HDD that you want to retain, ask for a set of recovery CD's..
if NOT, then ask for a HDD re-image with an original and UP-TO-DATE factory OS..

be nice but be FIRM.. :)
<grumble, grumble> (what else i would like to say here i can not since this is not my forum)

Bill Morrow, kept by parrots
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com
30+ thinkpads from 755CDV to S30, tablet 1 to X1C Extreme
----
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
Mark Twain
Options

5 Posts

01-31-2008

usa

7 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2008-01-31, 12:19 PM
I surmised the same thing. They replaced my display with a lesser model. I will include a copy of detailed order that confirms I sent an SXGA+ to them and got back a different one.

I did ask them to wipe out HDD and resore factory state. Maybe if I said not to touch the HDD because I had important data they would have wiped it clean??

I'll try again ... thanks. I had a loooong conversation last week to try and tell them that in essence it appeared that they switched the hardware I sent and replaced it. It just needed a little glue! I was somewhat shocked when I discovered this. I expected more from them. We bought the X61 tablet because I have an X41 that was getting old and I loved that thing ... and I want to love this one too.

~m
Options

69 Posts

01-26-2008

United States of America

102 Signins

2056 Page Views

• Views: 2056
  • Message 4 of 7

2008-01-31, 19:38 PM
i don't know what they would do if you said nothing..
no one who has been down this road EVER sends the HDD back when it has data on it..

i had a customer years ago who sent his 760ED to ez-serve and the fedex plane burned to the ground on the tarmac with his 760ED aboard..
no one would take the blame for this..
IBM said "not us" and they did not have insurance on the thinkpad (as i recall)..
it took this man many months to get a replacement..

IRT the display, the M/T number will show what that thinkpad was.. in detail..
you can go online asnd learn which components it has and the manufacturer of each main component..

this is just one more sad tale of a big company trying to do its best, fast and tripping on their shoe laces..

just be patient..
sometimes it takes a while to convince them that they screwed up..
but they'll come around..

good luck..

Bill Morrow, kept by parrots
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com
30+ thinkpads from 755CDV to S30, tablet 1 to X1C Extreme
----
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
Mark Twain
Options

5 Posts

01-31-2008

usa

7 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2008-01-31, 22:18 PM
I will agree that they WERE fast. I shipped last Monday and got it back on Thursday.

X61 Tablet is now on plane (or truck) for return trip to shop to try and fix display and restore issues. A detailed inventory of parts from origin of purchase is enclosed.

HDD went for the ride again. As stated earlier, I would like the HDD wiped clean. No data on it I care about. It crashed so often and I had restored 4 times previously that I got to the point where I doubted the integrity of the image used to restore. Thought it best to start from scratch ... clean slate theory.

I have promoted the use of tablets for a long time. I purchase technology at a college and I didn't hesitate before to recommend the X41 for faculty/student/classroom use. I hope someday I can say the same for the X61.

thanks ..... I'll be patient and hope for the best. I will post when I get the tablet back.

-m
Options

5 Posts

01-31-2008

usa

7 Signins

198 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2008-02-14, 2:38 AM
Update ...

I did get the laptop back and the display was replaced with the SXGA+ but it still has the same problem and a new one.
The bevel is still unglued at the bottom and now the side where the wireless antenna is located is split .... and makes a creaking sound when opened and closed.

I never should have sent it back in the first place ... they not only didn't fix it but saddled me with another and more scary problem.

It's the not owning up to the problem and lack of pride in service that will send me looking at other vendors when I purchase next laptop for myself or purchase for work. I tried .....  but it's really sad when I have to resort to using electrical tape on a latop that is 4 months old and cost $2400.00 w/ bells and whistles and made 2 trips to the shop.

Options

17 Posts

02-26-2008

Austin, TX

15 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 7 of 7

2008-03-09, 5:06 AM
As I understand, you get hi-res video without a touch enabled tablet --OR-- a lower res video and touch.

I have touch and stylus tablet features, but run at 1024x768. If there is a way to run higher res -- with touch --
I have not found it.  I'd LOVE to discover what I'm missing (drivers, settings, etc) if that is the case?

~~~ Dan 0;-D
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms