Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

12-16-2007

Michigan, USA

42 Signins

315 Page Views

• Views: 315
  • Message 11 of 22

Re: Has Lenovo heard of customer service?

2008-02-01, 13:11 PM
disappointed,

It's generally safe to assume that a Notebook PC will have an optical drive. However, if you're posting in this forum, you've ordered a pretty specialized PC -- ultra mobile PC with tablet features. There's TONS of data on the web in these forums, on Lenovo's site, and elsewhere about "what's in the box". Furthermore, there are countless reviews online, and many of them list the lack of a built in optical drive as a con. Many folks, myself included, could care less if there is an optical drive built in and would rather have the machine be a quarter to half pound lighter and strap one on/plug one in on the rare instance that one is needed. I have the X6 Tablet Ultrabase, and I use it with an optical drive from one of my other Thinkpads, but it's been used about 3 times for a grand total of about 5 hours since I've had it. In retrospect I would have gone the USB route, as I have never plugged a single thing into the base besides a DVD drive (and, of course, the power cord).

Buying a PC sight unseen is a pain, and crappy customer service is inexcusable, but like others have mentioned, caveat emptor, empower yourself by doing as much research as possible before pressing the magical "buy now" button.

I'd cut your losses and pick up a USB drive. There's CD virtualization software included with the unit which will let you create an image of commonly used CD's on your hard drive. Once this is done, you really won't need to cart around an optical drive anyway.
Options

69 Posts

01-26-2008

United States of America

102 Signins

2056 Page Views

• Views: 2056
  • Message 12 of 22

2008-02-02, 0:21 AM
where is the "thumbs up!" smilie..?
i have one on my website.. :smileysurprised:

well, anyway, well put, laptopguru..! THUMBS UP to you..!

:)  <--THIS smilie they DO have..
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com
30+ thinkpads from 755CDV to S30, tablet 1 to X1C Extreme
----
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
Mark Twain
Options

9 Posts

01-29-2008

USA

6 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 13 of 22

2008-02-03, 3:41 AM
FYI, I took full responsibility for the over sight.  I tried to negotiate a compromise, tried to get a little service, but no, it wasn't to be.  I have moved on to Dell, who has fantastic customer service...

I can't believe this silly blog has gotten so much feed back.  Just goes to show that there are people out there wanting to vent their frustrations as well.  I hope, for the sake of Lenovo, IBM and their employees, that this gets to the right eyes/ears and they can change their policies before it is too late.  Best wishes all...
Options

8 Posts

12-16-2007

Michigan, USA

42 Signins

315 Page Views

• Views: 315
  • Message 14 of 22

2008-02-03, 15:32 PM
I'm not sure what Lenovo could have done for you, other than possibly taken pity and waived the restocking fee. Clearly the machine wasn't a good match for your needs. They've got to take back your machine and sell it as refurbished for a loss.

I'm assuming you bought a different Dell, not a similar computer (Latitude XT).
Options

69 Posts

01-26-2008

United States of America

102 Signins

2056 Page Views

• Views: 2056
  • Message 15 of 22

2008-02-04, 22:47 PM
when dell service becomes better than IBM/lenovo service i'll eat my hat..!

seriously, you should not make snap decisions when you are angry or frustrated..
you took 2 months to GET the thinkpad, you might consider allowing a month or more to judge it..

someone once said: Judge slowly..

if i had made such a purchase (and i have, many times) i would take some time to let it prove its value..

and..

this is not a blog..
though it might seem that way..

further, there are always going to be some people who are angry for no real reason or for a percieved slight or the like..
you, for instance, showed up here with a username dissapointed and challenged and threatened and so forth coming on very strong blaming lenovo for just doing what their purchase agreement says they will or will not do..
FWIW they (IBM and lenovo) have regiments of lawyers all writing these agreements..
they cover everything from soup to nuts (present company excepted of course :) ) and you were cought up in it..
you had (and may still have) the choice to pay the restock fee and move on to a dell or other more appropriate thinkpad model..
you chose not to do so..

i wish you better fortune with dell, though i have great confidence that i will not be dining on my hat anytime soon..  :)

Message Edited by billmorrow on 02-04-2008 05:50 PM

Message Edited by billmorrow on 02-04-2008 07:28 PM
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com
30+ thinkpads from 755CDV to S30, tablet 1 to X1C Extreme
----
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
Mark Twain
Options

2 Posts

02-07-2008

United States of America

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 16 of 22

2008-02-07, 3:11 AM
Well, getting through to Atlanta was not one call. Then, no solution. I have an x61t and couldn't get the    transfer software to work with my desktop (vista). lenovo said they didn't give help on software, Microsoft said they couldn't help because the operating system was preinstalled .  I have a problem now that secondlife crashes the system. Who should I talk to?

Mod Edit - removed long blank spaces

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 02-08-2008 08:04 AM
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 17 of 22

2008-02-08, 16:03 PM
Doug,

Rather than focus on customer service as a topic, why not start a thread outlining what you are trying to do, and what is / is not happening on the system.  The community can then try to lend a hand in helping you out....

Transferring information?  Are you using migration assistant?   What step of the process are you having trouble?

Second life... when does it fail, what are the symptoms?
Options

11 Posts

02-08-2008

Wilmington, Delaware

7 Signins

271 Page Views

• Views: 271
  • Message 18 of 22

2008-02-08, 16:14 PM
Please read my post too! A very frustrating experience! The Customer 'Service' people are mostly polite, repeat (i am sure the manual tells them to repeat) every word I say, and then say, 'may I put you on hold for a few minutes?' and come back to say nothing useful that will solve the problem, and recite their policy blindly, and what they are saying is not even related to the problem I am having!
Options

11 Posts

02-08-2008

Wilmington, Delaware

7 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 19 of 22

2008-02-08, 16:24 PM
I would like to agree with the suggestion that the broad issue of customer service (or the lack of it, quite frankly) will not solve a specific problem for a specific user. However, the idea is to NOT have such problems, right? And to determine the root causes of them, right? Isn't that what a good customer service department is good at, rather than recite and parrot useless information, undecipherable techniques, and totally frustrating attempts supposedly to solve the problem of a customer who just plunked down a lot of money to not have his computer work? Yes, one of the people who posted said, 'Judge slowly..' I would love to turn the other cheek and do that or try to...but after the darn thing works like it is supposed to...like connect to my network?

May be then I will have time to appreciate the inherent beauty of the judgement process and may be I will be calm enough to let it simmer slowly...and cook my judgement in a crock pot?

Options

11 Posts

02-08-2008

Wilmington, Delaware

7 Signins

271 Page Views

• Message 20 of 22

2008-02-08, 16:28 PM
You are so right!! One of the customer 'service' people told me to go get an external media drive to re-load the software! Gee!! If I wanted to lug several pounds of weight when I travel, I would have bought something else! Counterintuative! I say it is ridiculous to keep providing accurate information (from someone's point of view!) that is totaly useless!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms