Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

01-02-2015

19 Signins

131 Page Views

• Message 1 of 6

Helix 2 (20CG) Wifi limited after wake or power-up

2015-01-02, 22:35 PM

Upon wake or power-up, the wifi always shows limited connection to the wifi network it was connected to before it went to sleep or was shut down.  Windows 8.1.  I can get it reestablished as connected by going to Network connections and turning the wifi off and then back on.  It will cycle through the limited connection to fully connected over a short period of time (approx 10 seconds).  This is with the Intel AC 7265 wifi card.

I have updated the driver and have looked for a power management tab for the device but none shows up in the device specific tabs.  So, I can't control anything there.  I tried de-installing the Lenovo Power Management driver and testing but that had no effect on this issue.  Not sure if there is a way to manage the Lenovo Power Management 

Anyone else having this issue?  Any other suggestions?

Switched from an IPAD and separate Windows Laptop to this configuration to get to one device.  Interesting that I can't get this one simple thing to work, reconnecting to my network, which always worked on the IPAD.

Options

37 Posts

01-09-2014

Columbus Ohio

32 Signins

420 Page Views

• Views: 420
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Helix 2 (20CG) Wifi limited after wake or power-up

2015-01-03, 1:56 AM

Hi,

Same issued, explained on my thread, but I'll explain it here too incase anyone else has this problem.

If I uncheck the box labeled connect to network automatically, the network stays connected but the internet is horrifically slow upon waking up, until I manually reconnect to the network.

If I check the box to connect automatically then the network connection is lost, and I still need to manually reconnect. Not sure what's going on, but it has to do with one of the following lenovo updates:

Realtek Audio Driver 6.3.9600.110

Intel WLAN Driver 17.13.2

Password Manager 4.70.2.0

Lenovo Quick Control 2.31

Realtek Integrated Camera Driver 6.3.9600.11054

or windows updates:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - December 2014 (KB890830)

Realtek - LAN - Thinkpad USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3000850)

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3013816)

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3013769)

Before I installed these updates the network would always stay connected by the computer wouldn't wake up from sleep mode 95% of the time. One of these updates fixed that problem but caused the network disconnect problem...

Hopefully someone here can help figure this out.

Thanks!

Options

13 Posts

01-02-2015

19 Signins

131 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2015-01-05, 23:44 PM

I updated the BIOS to the latest level and that seemed to help.  I was getting reconnected automatically occasionally.  New BIOS level is listed as N17ET41W (1.41) when I look at it through the Lenovo Solution Center -> System -> System Information report.  It was an optional update that I installed with all of the available updates with hopes they would resolve the issue.

However, i noticed something interesting when I took the machine to other locations with other networks I had connected to in the past.  It would always reconnect successfully, without me toggling the network off & on when I was at those other locations.

So, I started looking at my own network.  I have a router that provides both 2.4 & 5.0 Ghz signals and it provides guest Wifi setups.  My machine had both the normal 2.4 Ghz SSID & the Guest 2.4 Ghz SSID defined to it with the automatically connect box checked.  I tried in vain to get it to save the unchecked box config for the guest network but could not get it to save the config that way.

I then had it 'forget' the guest network and that did seem to get the network to no longer be set to auto-connect but it did not appear to have an overall effect on my ability to connect.

Finally, I turned the guest network off on my router altogether.  I set it up but never have given a visitor the key so no one was actually using it anyway.  Since that point I'd say it has reconnected consistently without my having to do anything.

So, based upon all the testing, my guess is that Windows 8.1 could not determine which netowrk to connect to and so never fully connected to either, hence the limited connection.  Once there was no confusion, since there was only one network available, it reconnects fine.  Not sure if the BIOS update played a part or not, but it did seem to reconnect more often after that update.

Hope this helps someone else.

Options

3 Posts

01-09-2015

13 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2015-01-09, 20:51 PM

Also have this issue on a new Helix2 20CG000KUS that has the latest BIOS, all updates including latest WIFI driver version 17.13.2.2 via System Update utility and all Windows patches including installing optional Lenovo PM update. It's connected via 5GHz 802.11ac to TP-Link Archer C7 v2 firmware 149929 dated 9/29/2014 that works fine with other devices. My Surface Pro 3 used to have this issue but Microsoft fixed it via driver so I'm hopeful this will get fixed too.

Options

3 Posts

01-09-2015

13 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2015-01-16, 18:29 PM
Have tried several things but the only thing that seems to make sleep/wake work consistently is changing the AC 7265 adapter Transmit Power from default Highest to Medium.

Lenovo, can you please investigate?
Options

6 Posts

02-23-2015

USA

12 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 6 of 6

2015-02-23, 0:53 AM

There is a discussion of the 'limited wifi after wake' for the 7265 over at Intel's forums:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/59327

The solution that has worked for multiple people (and for me) is to go to Device Manager -> Network Adapters, and right click on your 7265 wireless adapter. Choose 'Properties', click the 'Advanced' tab, and set the 'Wake on Pattern Match' setting to Disabled.

I have found this 100% fixes the problem, as have other people.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms