Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

10-18-2013

Sydney, Australia

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 61 of 79

Re: Helix Keyboard Docking Issue

2013-10-18, 21:54 PM
Okay tried two different combinations and AC Adapter still not recognised when connected through dock

First try-
Press reset of tablet for 5 seconds
Press reset on keyboard dock for 5 seconds
Connect tablet to dock
Connect power
Turn on
After Windows starts, check power icon - AC adapter not recognised

Second try-
Press reset on tablet for 5 seconds
Press reset on keyboard dock for 5 seconds
Connect tablet to dock
Turn on and let Windows start
After everything is running, connect the AC Adapter
Check the power icon - AC Adapter is not recognised

This has to be a software/firmware issue
If I turn the tablet and dock off, connect power to the dock, then the tablet and dock is charged correctly

More ideas?
Options

43 Posts

06-09-2011

Cary, NC

60 Signins

213 Page Views

• Views: 213
  • Message 62 of 79

2013-10-19, 0:03 AM

is your bios up to date? have you ran system updater lately? i'd hate to say it but if that doesn't work i would try a factory restore. if that don't solve it I would call Lenovo and send it in for repair.

Options

9 Posts

10-18-2013

Sydney, Australia

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 63 of 79

2013-10-21, 10:43 AM

wrote:

is your bios up to date? have you ran system updater lately? i'd hate to say it but if that doesn't work i would try a factory restore. if that don't solve it I would call Lenovo and send it in for repair.

Thanks for your help - still no joy. here is what I have tried so far

1. uninstalled the lenove power management software. reset tablet, reset dock plugged in AC adapter and icon still doesn't recognise its attached, can't install Enhanced Keyboard Update either

2. completely reset system, back to factory settings. plugged AC adapter into dock, still not recognised. plugged AC adapter into tablet, icon changes

3. started to debug the battery state with powershell - found something interesting

if I plug ac adapter into dock, even though the icon in windows status bar doesn't change, wmi tells me the dock battery is charging. so assuming it has recognised the ac adapter, I try and run the Enhanced Keyboard Update - and it says there is not AC Adapter

so there must be something specific in Windows that makes the icon in the dock change from just a battery to a battery with a power plug. and I am assuming that it is this check that the Enhanced Keyboard Update uses to see if adapter is connected or not

So now I am wondering if anybody else has the little power icon change to show battery and power plug when ac adapter is connected to the dock?

also I have just noticed using wmi that for some reason now the batteries are not charging despite being connected to AC Adapter

this is very hard to diagnose and maintain

Options

3 Posts

11-08-2013

USA

3 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 64 of 79

2013-11-08, 16:37 PM

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum. I bought a Helix about 5 days ago and generally really like it. However, the dock is really finicky and I'm not sure if it is supposed to work like this or if mine is defective. Basically, it works fine until the dock hits about 0% battery. The tablet battery is naturally fully charged. Anyway, whenever I take it off the dock and use it, then reattach it, the dock doesn't power up or the entire computer freezes. In addition, if it is in sleep mode when the dock hits 0%, I can't get the tablet out of sleep and it just never turns on until I shut it off manually, unplug it from the dock, and turn it on.

Is this normal? It kind of limits the usefulness of this device if the dock battery is the limiting factor here. I like to dock and undock the tablet throughout the day but if I can't use the keyboard or the computer decides to freeze when the dock is at 0% battery, it doesn't give me the freedom to use it as I like. I suppose I could take my charger everywhere I go but that isn't very practical for me either. I came from a Surface Pro 2 and am considering going back to it but I really like the keyboard and 2 USB ports on the dock.

Any insight? Thanks!

Oh yeah, I have updated the drivers and BIOS for the dock and computer.

Options

9 Posts

04-26-2013

Netherlands

58 Signins

136 Page Views

• Views: 136
  • Message 65 of 79

2013-11-09, 4:30 AM

Lenovo has removed the battery save option from their latest Settings software. The previous version could be set to extend battery lifetime while the laptop is plugged in all te time. I used that option and had similar behavior as you describe. Since the upgrade, the battery lifetime option is gone but also the keyboard freeze. I no longer experience freeups that I have to fix by resetting the keyboard. It seems that the keyboard battery is drained to approx 3 percent and then the main battery will be used. It will now properly give a warning when to plug in the power adapter.

When working plugged in al the thime, both batteries will be charged maximally. So when full, I unplug to save the batteries. Maybe Lenovo can provide a better working battery save mode.

Options

3 Posts

11-08-2013

USA

3 Signins

18 Page Views

• Message 66 of 79

2013-11-09, 5:54 AM

Thanks for the reply! I think I have the latest application/driver and mine still drains to 0% before the tablet battery drains. If it were to stop at 3% that would solve all my problems. Is there a setting you had to enable or anything? What version do you have? Thanks!

Options

11 Posts

10-19-2013

Stockholm

20 Signins

191 Page Views

• Views: 191
  • Message 67 of 79

2013-11-12, 19:45 PM

My Helix will rarely boot if the keyboard dock is attached when the computer enters standby or is powered off. If I power it off while the computer is not connected to the dock and then connect and disconnect dock, it will not boot.

If I power both devices off, disconnect the power supply, reset both devices (hard reset with the reset pin), connects the devices and power on I will have a better chance of the computer booting (maybe as good as 50%).

There are no issues at all if keep the computer away from the keyboard dock. I am also able to use the dock as long as the computer is running, I just need to detach the keyboard every time I leave the computer.

The computer will not make it to the splash screen for the bios whule connected.

I'm on bios 1.16 and keyboard fw 1.15.

I think the computer was ok before bios 1.14.

I would like to downgrade the bios but i will not let me, I've changed the settings to allow this but it keeps telling me "This BIOS does not update this system". I'll look into later.

Options

9 Posts

10-22-2013

USA

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 68 of 79

2013-11-19, 5:28 AM

@DanHoff

I've experienced the same problem since I got the computer in the beginning of October and provided detailed post with log information from my troubleshooting -> http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Helix-Keyboard-Dock-Starts-Up-Tablet-after-10-15-min-of-shutdown/m-p/1280789

The issue is either in keyboard firmware or Helix BIOS. I love the tablet for functionality and usage; however, I must carry it separately from the keyboard dock. I'm waiting on firmware updates and bios updates hoping to resolve the issue.  

Options

3 Posts

11-08-2013

USA

3 Signins

18 Page Views

• Message 69 of 79

2013-11-19, 5:53 AM

I got around my problem for now by disconnecting the tablet and hard resetting the dock when it hits 15% battery then reattaching the tablet. That then discharges the tablet battery. When I want to recharge both units, I have to shut the unit down and restart it to reset the dock and power options. Kind of annoying but at least it works for now!

Options

11 Posts

10-19-2013

Stockholm

20 Signins

191 Page Views

• Views: 191
  • Message 70 of 79

2013-11-19, 22:20 PM

I have to keep my computer undocked. Battery level does not seem to make much difference for me, the conmputer will rarely boot if docked, no matter what battery level I have.

My issues also started early october after a bios update, unfortunately the computer will refuse to downgrade below 1.15.

I've actually set my computer to "hibernate" instead of going into "stand by" and disabled the "fast start" feature. As the conmputer will fail to load bios when docked it will actually be able to resume from hibernate after several failed boots while docked. This will cause boot up to be much slower but it will make the computer much more stable.

My computer is a 3698-6CG version, maybe other versions are stable? I'm requesting hw service for this computer.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms