Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

33 Posts

09-07-2012

United States of America

29 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 1 of 5

Helix Win 8.1 update horrors

2014-09-12, 1:28 AM

So, trying to update my Helix to 8.1...   It is been just completely traumatic in so many ways (dramatic flair intentional)

The boatload of windows updates required before you can download the main 8.1 update from the store has failed over a dozen times.  I got the dreaded "Failure configuring Windows updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer" numerous times.  Had to do many hard resets with my trusty paper clip, then do a recovery from the recovery partition.

I had to repair Windows update several times.  I had to manually select and install a dozen or so of the "Critical Updates" from Windows update and do that around 20 times until I got most of the updates installed without a failure.

I've probably rebooted over 100 times, and burnt a solid 2 days trying to get this thing to work.  I tried updating just about everything but it just continues to be nearly impossible to complete this update.

My network adapter stops working randomly, and disconnects me from the download, etc, etc, etc

We have about 7 Thinkpads of all sorts in our family, as well as Lenovo tablets and I have NEVER had so much trouble getting any Lenovo product to work correctly.  

Still not sure I can successfully get Windows 8.1 to complete

Options

258 Posts

06-25-2011

Vienna

1897 Signins

11744 Page Views

• Views: 11744
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Helix Win 8.1 update horrors

2014-09-12, 7:22 AM

IMO the described behaviour has nothing to do with the Helix device itself but with the MS Windows. I had the same issue upgrading to Windows 8.1 not only with Helix but also with Samsung Ativ 500 model and in both cases I've ended up installing Windows 8.1 from scratch.

That is definitely not very encouraging and this time Microsoft did not do any good work with Windows 8/8.1, to pronounce it very mildly. On the other side, once Windows 8.1 was installed on both devices from scratch, I experience flawless operation, much better experience than with Windows 8, no glitches, no issues at all.

I can only speculate here but it seems that Windows 8 and the update to Windows 8.1 is a kind of banana software - maturates at customer costs.

ThinkPad W520, i7-2820 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro 2000M 2GB GPU , mSATA Samsung Evo 840 1TB + 2x Samsung SSD EVO 840 1TB & Lenovo Helix i7 8GB RAM & ThinkPad W540, i7-4800MQ, 32 GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K1100M, OS on M.2 2242 Transcend MTS400 256GB + 2x Samsung SSD EVO 840 1TB
Options

85 Posts

06-16-2013

Poland

279 Signins

1019 Page Views

• Views: 1019
  • Message 3 of 5

2014-09-12, 10:11 AM

I would recommend installing a clean Windows 8 (not the "Lenovo Bloatware" version), applying all Windows Updates, upgrading to 8.1, all updates again and only then install the Lenovo System Update tool and upgrade Lenovo drivers where necessary.

Options

39 Posts

07-01-2013

United States of America

104 Signins

650 Page Views

• Views: 650
  • Message 4 of 5

2014-09-18, 19:15 PM

I'm going to have to agree with Wolfindersteppe, this sounds more like a Windows issue. I recently reinstalled my custom built desktop and experienced many of the problems you described. However, I ran out of time and I had to let it sit for a couple days and all by itself it updated everything to Windows 8.1/8.1.1. My guess is that 8.1 was delivered via Windows Update, which is a first for me. If you can, let the Helix sit for a couple days and let Windows automatically install the updates. Not sure if that will work in your case, but I was pleasantly suprised. Apparently it doesnt like to be micro-managed :smileywink:

Options

33 Posts

09-07-2012

United States of America

29 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 5 of 5

2014-09-19, 0:14 AM

Turns out that indeed you were all correct for the most part.  It clearly doesn't like to be micro managed....   However, the Helix, because it is mostly a tablet, but runs a desktop OS, has some specific peculiarities that I clearly wasn't prepared for.

There's no simple way to reboot, or more appropriately, get into safe mode and roll back it seems.  This may be stupid user error on my part for sure, but every trick that usually works with a traditional laptop or desktop just didn't work for me, so I had to stick a paper clip into the reset hole about 10 times during the process.

Ultimately, I had to to a complete OS "refresh" with the paper clip, then do small amounts of Windows update (pre 8.1), and reboot.  Then do a few more.  Clearly these were Windows update issues for the most part, but the lack of control over the firmware of the system was frustrating, and I'm sure we're all gonna have to get used to it in all these combo devices.

I'm actually not convinced that the keyboard interacts with the tablet portion the same way a traditional keyboard interacts with a traditional laptop, which was much of my frustration.

You're all correct though, that most of the issue was around Windows 8 and its recalcitrant behavior with its update methods.

However, after a couple of days of work, and the addition of both Start8, and ModernMix, the Helix is an awesome machine.  The BIOS updates cured the frying pan heat and fan screeching, and now, with Windows 8.1 and Start8, its like a super machine, usable as a traditional laptop, OR a supersized tablet!   My wife loves it for her graduate studies, and I may even get one for myself

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms