Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

10-09-2013

Canada

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 41 of 64

Re: Helix keyboard stopped working

2013-10-12, 5:04 AM
Thanks Azbiker - this makes a lot of sense! Thinking back, each time this happened my keyboard battery was always running pretty low (between 0% and 5%). Let me try keeping the keyboard battery sufficiently charged and see if that can minimize the issue until Lenovo finds a permanent fix to this. Thanks again for sharing the info!
Options

6 Posts

10-09-2013

Canada

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 42 of 64

2013-10-17, 1:43 AM

At this point I am very sure that this is a firmware issue and I hope that someone from LENOVO is reading this. 

After lots of testing, I have successfuly reproduced the issue on a consistent basis under specific conditions (see below).

Note that I have already installed the recommended firmware upgrade (see my previous post on this thread) at:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035554
And now I can still get the "keyboard dock fan error" to happen under the following conditions:

- Ensure your Helix is plugged in to AC power

- Open the "Lenovo Settings" app on the Win8 Metro screen

- Click on "Power"

- Under "Battery Health Mode", make sure the option "Automatically optimize for battery life" is selected

- Let your Helix sit - for some reason, after enough time, it will drain itself completely out of power even though it's plugged in

- When it drains itself completely out of power, Windows will crash (instead of hibernating), then the computer will shut down

- When you try to start the computer again, you will see the start up screen with the Lenovo logo, then you'll see the "keyboard dock fan error - press Esc to continue" message.  You will need to touch the screen to bring up the on-screen keyboard, then you'll touch the Esc key on the on-screen keyboard to boot into Windows.

- You'll notice that the physical keyboard no longer works - take a paperclip and insert it into the "reset" hole at the back of the keyboard doc to reset the keyboard and bring it back to life.

- Throughout the entire process the Helix has always been plugged into AC power

My conclusion is that something with the Lenovo Power Setting "Auto optimize for battery life" is not quite working with the Helix and its primary/secondary battery setup.  

I found that as long as I pick "Always fully charge" instead of "Auto optimize for battery life" under Lenovo's Power Settings, the keyboard dock fan error is pretty much eliminated.

I am happy that it's not a hardware issue, and despite this problem I do still love this laptop.... 

LENOVO - Please read this and release another firmware upgrade to fix this issue!!!  

I hope this info helps anyone else who's suffering from this.  Cheers!

Options

18 Posts

04-17-2013

usa

171 Signins

949 Page Views

• Views: 949
  • Message 43 of 64

2013-10-17, 14:18 PM

This isn't the case for me as I never have "optimize battery life" enabled and the error still happens all the time. Also I never had Windows crash in the way that you're describing.

Options

6 Posts

10-09-2013

Canada

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 44 of 64

2013-10-17, 21:18 PM
Have you tried installing the firmware upgrade that I've mentioned?
Here's the link:
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035554

Lenovo has actually tried replacing my keyboard and system board so the problem I'm dealing with is likely not a hardware issue. Have you tried replacing any of your hardware yet?

I hope you find a fix to the error soon...
Options

9 Posts

10-18-2013

Sydney, Australia

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 45 of 64

2013-10-18, 0:26 AM

I'm trying to install the updated firmware for the keyboard dock, but since my dock is not recognising the AC Adaptor the firmware will not run

any ideas?

Luke

Options

1 Posts

10-24-2013

adelaide australia

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 46 of 64

2013-10-24, 4:01 AM

Hi,

My Helix keyboard stopped working since I updated Windows 8 to its latest version.

What do I need to do? The tablet works fine on its own but it just doesn't detect the keyboard.

I'm in Adelaide, Australia but I bought the Helix online.

Is there a Lenovo store I can bring it to?

Thanks

WN

Options

6 Posts

10-09-2013

Canada

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 47 of 64

2013-10-24, 4:31 AM

Hi Wandernut - have you tried resetting your keyboard by inserting a paperclip into the "reset" hole at the back of the keyboard? 

Options

6 Posts

10-09-2013

Canada

9 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 48 of 64

2013-10-29, 17:38 PM
Further to my previous post on Oct 16, 2013, looks like Lenovo has updated their settings app to remove the "Automatically optimize for battery life" option for the Helix a few days ago. Theoretically this should prevent the issue from happening again.
Options

11 Posts

10-19-2013

Stockholm

20 Signins

191 Page Views

• Views: 191
  • Message 49 of 64

2013-11-12, 10:07 AM

I've been having issues with the keyboard dock for some time now. I'm fairly sure that it showed up after updating the bios but I cannot remember which version I had when it last worked.

As it is right now, my computer will not boot to bios while connected to the dock (it might succeed once in a while but less than 10% chance). If the computer goes into standby while docked it will not be able to boot up. If I leave the computer docked it will power on (but fail to boot) and drain the battery.

The computer works really well if I don't use the keyboard.

My solution is to keep the computer undocked and only use the keyboard when I have to. I'm not ok with this solution.

I've updated the computer bios and keyboard dock firmware This did not help at all (I actually think it made things worse). What I would like to try now is to downgrade my bios (from 1.16) as this version is terrible.

Where can I find old bios versions? I would like to try some version prior to 1.14.

/Dan

Options

11 Posts

10-19-2013

Stockholm

20 Signins

191 Page Views

• Views: 191
  • Message 50 of 64

2013-11-12, 11:25 AM

I've downloaded a few different bios updates (from the support site) but I'm unable to apply them. I've changed the settings in bios to allow bios "downgrade" but I'm still unable to apply an older bios.

/Danne

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms