Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-19-2013

UK

19 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 1 of 3

Helix's second battery isn't detected except at 0% charge

2013-07-19, 20:24 PM

I have a Helix (i7 8GB model); I bought it with Windows 8 standard but I've run a clean install of Windows 8 Pro on it with an existing license. I've installed all of the current drivers and have run the Lenovo update tool to ensure everything is at the most current version.  I've also installed the latest firmware update for the dock.

The main problem I have is that the second battery (in the keyboard) does not appear in the Windows power popup - I only see the tablet battery. The exception to this is if I discharge the battery entirely, and it appears in the popup as "0% - charging" but will then disappear a few moments later.  I also only see a single battery in the "power" section of the Lenovo Settings app.

I've tried various combinations of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers as suggested by other posts on this forum, and I've pressed the reset button on both keyboard and tablet portions in various combinations (plugged and unplugged) too. Nothing has worked - the battery only shows when at 0%.

It also seems that my Helix doesn't charge *either* battery when shut down - it will only charge when in standby or when turned on. 

Finally, I've also seen the issue (reported by others) that the Helix seems to completely discharge the keyboard battery before running down the tablet battery. This means that a couple of times I've been left with +80% charge in the tablet battery, but a non-working keyboard.

My guess is that this could be a software-related issue, since the battery doesn't appear correctly in Windows (I only have a single battery listed in device manager, too) - but I don't know what driver(s) I should (un)install to resolve it and nothing else I've found on the forum has worked.

Beyond the power issues I'm very pleased with the device, but if I can't use it reliably when away from a power supply then it's really not fit for use - can someone help save me from having to return it?

Options

4 Posts

07-19-2013

UK

19 Signins

51 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

Re: Helix's second battery isn't detected except at 0% charge

2013-07-20, 11:20 AM

A further update:

- Last night my Helix was left on charge - when I started it this morning it said the battery level (in the single registered battery) was 100%.

- I disconnected it from the mains and used it for a few moments (maybe 5 minutes), then closed the lid to put it on standby.

- 3 hours' later, I resumed from standby to find that the 2nd (keyboard) battery had drained completely (it was showing in the power manager at 0%). The keyboard still worked at this point.

- On trying to reboot (on battery power), I found that the helix would not reboot with the keyboard connected. The fans would spin up, but nothing would display on the screen

- By holding the power button down for 4 seconds I could shut the device down again, but it would only start up if the keyboard was disconnected. If I connected the keyboard once booted, the keyboard did not function.

I've now plugged everything back in to the mains, but I can still only start my Helix with the keyboard disconnected. Presumably a long charge period will rectify this, but I would hope that I can get more than 3 hours' standby time out of the device!

Options

4 Posts

07-19-2013

UK

19 Signins

51 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

Re: Helix's second battery isn't detected except at 0% charge

2013-07-22, 17:55 PM

For reference, I've raised a ticket with Lenovo and they're treating it as hardware failure - the machine is due to be collected tomorrow.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms