Options

8 Posts

04-21-2013

Australia

11 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 1 of 18

Helix touchpad inaccurate / horrendous / faulty?

2014-01-25, 1:53 AM

Hi,

I have had a Helix since launch and have always found the touchpad problematic. The problem I have is that it is extremely difficulty to accurately 'press' the touchpad without the cursor moving when I do it. One work around is to use the soft touch settings so that I don't actually have to 'click' the touchpad, although this is not an effective solution for either right clicking or drag&drop/area selection. 

I have used numerous different laptops and currently also use a macbook air and macbook pro. For comparison I have also recently used an IBM T42p, Dell XPS M1330, ASUS G73JH and several different Macbooks. The touchpad on the Lenovo Helix I have is inferior to all of these (except for the G73JH which is also a dog).

I have adjusted all the settings for the touchpad in an attempt to make it better, although none have solved this issue. I have been hoping that Lenovo might have fixed it with a software update although none so far have changed it's function.

I wonder whether :

(1) this is common and accepted for the Lenovo Helix?

(2) my unit is faulty and worth a review by Lenovo?

I am currently at the point where I don't want to use this top of the line Helix because of this issue (it makes spreadsheet work an absolute pain for cell selection). Using the Macbook touchpad is an absolute dream compared to the Helix. I shouldn't have to actively focus on pressing the touchpad the 'right' way every time I want to select something accurately - it should just work, especially for a premium product. 

I look forward to any advice and thoughts. 

Tim

Options

8 Posts

04-21-2013

Australia

11 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 2 of 18

Re: Helix touchpad inaccurate / horrendous / faulty?

2014-01-26, 2:52 AM

Even if anyone is able to confirm whether this is 'normal' behaviour or not for this model, it would be greatly appreciated.

Options

9644 Posts

12-27-2009

CA

3312 Signins

95273 Page Views

• Views: 95273
  • Message 3 of 18

2014-01-26, 2:55 AM
I've heard this here and there from people with the new clickpad. Maybe it's normal, maybe it's by design, but the opinion seems to be that it's undesirable.

Lenovo also apparently issued an updated firmware and drivers for this, so check for updates using System Update.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Options

8 Posts

04-21-2013

Australia

11 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

2014-01-26, 3:00 AM
Hi Colonel,

Thanks for the reply.

I have updated the firmware and all software for it, however it doesn't seem to have helped. A compromise would be if I could allocate the lower region of the touchpad for clicks/buttons only, and allocate the upper portion for cursor movement - that would at least let me select items accurately.

Any other experiences from other people?
Options

1 Posts

01-29-2014

Canada

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 5 of 18

2014-01-29, 2:46 AM

I have had my helix a week.  Generally a good device, but the track pad / touch pad is horrible.  I have gone through all the settings in the 'mouse' section of the control panel and have 'properly' configured the pad.  However, what I input into the config is not what is actually happening.  I cant figure out what is right click, what is left click.  Sometimes I click, and there is no reaction.  Tonight I had to restart the device because no matter what I did or where I clicked, it just kept right-clicking.  I do a lot od CAD, and right now this thing is useless for me.

Options

85 Posts

06-16-2013

Poland

279 Signins

1019 Page Views

• Views: 1019
  • Message 6 of 18

2014-01-29, 9:21 AM

I rarely use the touchpad, but when I do I simply lightly tap (without pushing the button in) anywhere for left click and tap with two fingers for right click. Works perfectly.

Options

8 Posts

04-21-2013

Australia

11 Signins

64 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2014-01-29, 9:30 AM

wrote:

I rarely use the touchpad, but when I do I simply lightly tap (without pushing the button in) anywhere for left click and tap with two fingers for right click. Works perfectly.

My issues with this are:

(1) it does not allow drag&drop or area selection properly (MAJOR PROBLEM)

(2) it should not be necessary to compromise on the most basic function of what is allegedly a premium product.

I have since gone back to using my MacBook Pro & Air until some form of solution is found for this crippling problem. The touchpads on the Mac products are vastly superior and allow me to be much more efficient in my work. Even under Windows 8 the Mac touchpad is in another league. 

To be honest this issue has sadly put me off Lenovo products, and I have suggested friends & colleagues NOT to purchase a Lenovo product unless they have the opportunity to personally and extensively test them. I certainly expected more from Lenovo. 

Options

3 Posts

03-25-2014

south carolina

4 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 8 of 18

2014-03-25, 22:28 PM

I have recently purchased a thinkpad helix through the Lenova Outlet.  It has 8G and 256 SSD.

I like it a lot as great for travel for a photographer needing lots of power in a small package.

HOWEVER, the trackpad is driving me nuts.  sometimes it just won't work at all.  sometimes it only works after multiple tries.  Rebooting usually gets it working, but that is not a sustainable solution.

i have experimented with various setups in the mouse dialogues, but nothing makes any difference.

I wish Lenova could come up with some help for me.  I don't need anything exotic, just a left and right click that work.

Options

260 Posts

07-03-2009

US

545 Signins

4675 Page Views

• Views: 4675
  • Message 9 of 18

2014-03-27, 2:49 AM
  1. The touchpad may stop working completely, sometimes after undocking and docking the tablet from the keyboard base. The fix appears to be resetting the keyboard base by a paper clip. This does not occur very often though. The bigger issue is that when it works, it works awefully. 
  2. The bottomless design makes it difficult and very inaccurate to perform click-and-hold or click-and-drag operations.
  3. Two-finger scrolling is too sensitive, scrolls too fast, and lacks precision.
  4. I am sure there are more, but I don't know more because I already stopped using it.

Strong suggestion to the Lenovo engineers: learn from Mac but don' t mimic it! Any poor ergonomic kills productivity and pisses off loyal customers.

Options

3 Posts

03-25-2014

south carolina

4 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 10 of 18

2014-03-27, 3:49 AM

But, i don't undock my helix.  The touchpad will work OK for a while and then for no apparent reason completely quits.  I have to do a restart to get it going again.  Sometimes, it just becomes unresponsive to left clicks for a few seconds and then begins working again.

Please Lenovo, please come up with some solution.

gearoidin

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms