Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

07-22-2020

Bulgaria

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 5

Helix type 3702 - Bluetooth adapter missing, can I install a compatible one?

2020-07-22, 19:04 PM

Greetings!

I bought a Thinkpad Helix (type 3702) second hand (at a very nice price I might add), and I've been pretty happy with it so far, with a few exceptions.

One of those exceptions is that the bluetooth adapter appears to be missing completely from my unit. The specs clearly list a bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, yet I couldn't find a bluetooth adapter under Windows 10 or Linux. I read in a forum that there was a whole batch of Helixes that had their bluetooth adapters missing, which I assume mine is a part of. The people from the forums suggested I take it to lenovo so they can install the missing component, but the problem is that mine has had its warranty expired for 3 years now (it was bought in 2015, by a different person AND in a different country ontop).

So my question is, can I install a bluetooth adapter internally that would be compatible (I assume the connector in the device is free if the adapter is missing), and where could I find a compatible adapter? Perhaps from the official lenovo parts shop or there could be a compatible 3rd party adapter that could work? Any help would be appreciated.

I tested an external adapter that connects via USB, and it worked, but I would rather not waste one of my precious 2 USB slots on bluetooth. Carrying a usb hub around is not ideal either.

Answer
Options

11 Posts

07-22-2020

Bulgaria

11 Signins

70 Page Views

Re:Helix type 3702 - Bluetooth adapter missing, can I install a compatible one?

2020-10-29, 9:26 AM

UPDATE:

I ordered a new adapter from Aliexpress (5$), changed it to no avail, so I thought that the problem is in the cable.

So I ordered a cable (14$, why would it be more expensive than the adapter?!), waited ANOTHER month, changed it, and voila, I have bluetooth!

So now I have a spare adapter and the knowledge that if you have no bluetooth on your helix, but the adapter is physically there, it's probably the cable :D

-The End-

Replies(4)
Options

8981 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77787 Signins

2228030 Page Views

• Views: 2228030
  • Message 2 of 5

2020-07-22, 19:26 PM

Hi,

Not something I've done with a Helix, but going to SUPPORT above and digging up the parts list, it looks like the card is a 60Y3303 or 60Y3305.  You may also need a cable.  eBay is one source:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-X1-Helix-Bluetooth-Cable-50-4WW08-001-Card-BT4-0-60Y3303-60Y3305/274242198266?epid=2255363656&hash=item3fda1bdafa:g:Dy4AAOSwWy5eNIHV

Please double-check the part numbers before buying anything.  I'm just going on what I read in a quick scan...

It doesn't look like a whole lot of fun to replace the card:

https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/helix_hmm_en_0c10337_03.pdf

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

11 Posts

07-22-2020

Bulgaria

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-07-25, 18:24 PM

Thank you for the quick and helpful reply.

I found parts for the Europe region, albeit on a pricier side, but I'd rather open up my Helix first and see what's missing and what isn't so I can order exactly what I need. The .pdf you linked will help a lot with that, so thanks a ton for that as well. I need to open it up to clean it from dust (and perhaps change the thermal paste too) anyway, because it has some heat problems and I don't think it's been cleaned since it's been bought by its previous owner back in 2015.

Thanks again :3

Options

11 Posts

07-22-2020

Bulgaria

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2020-08-02, 18:21 PM

I opened my helix up to dedust it and found out that I actually DO have a bluetooth adapter and it seems to be connected with its required cable, as far as I could tell.

Is there anything else I can do besides replacing it maybe?

Answer
Options

11 Posts

07-22-2020

Bulgaria

11 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-10-29, 9:26 AM

UPDATE:

I ordered a new adapter from Aliexpress (5$), changed it to no avail, so I thought that the problem is in the cable.

So I ordered a cable (14$, why would it be more expensive than the adapter?!), waited ANOTHER month, changed it, and voila, I have bluetooth!

So now I have a spare adapter and the knowledge that if you have no bluetooth on your helix, but the adapter is physically there, it's probably the cable :D

-The End-

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms