Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-20-2008

Sin City

7 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 3

Help with Combo Ultrabay Slim Drive

2008-07-20, 7:00 AM

I'm very new to Lenovo, just recently bought my X61. I was disappointed to find there wasn't a CD or DVD drive at all, so I went on the website to see what I could buy. After entering my product number on the accessories page, it pulled up a list of compatible products, one of which was the Combo II Ultrabay Slim Drive. I received it today and the installation manual has diagrams that don't even look like my X61. I can't figure out on my own how to install it. Is that because I should have purchased a dock instead and the slim drive won't hook up directly? I can't find any relevant information on the product page.

Much obliged to any help.

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Help with Combo Ultrabay Slim Drive

2008-07-21, 2:02 AM

From what I understand, you have to buy both Ultrabase & a drive to get DVD drive work.

It's such a expensive duo, IMO. That's why I ended up buying a USB drive :smileytongue:

Options

111 Posts

06-05-2008

Columbus, OH, USA

275 Signins

1766 Page Views

• Views: 1766
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Help with Combo Ultrabay Slim Drive

2008-07-21, 14:50 PM
I agree with SIPP11, USB is definitely the way to go even with an Ultrabase.    I ended up with the Lenovo USB 2.0 Super Multi-DVD Burner Drive at just under $200, but it was corporate dollars that bought it.   Personally, I could have had a less expensive USB solution from a third party that worked fine.   I also have the Ultrabase, but can plug the USB DVD burner into any computer or the Ultrabase.  
Full disclosure: Not a Lenovo employee, just someone with a X61 running Win XP SP2
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms