Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

05-12-2008

san francisco

6 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 1 of 19

High pitched intermittent whine

2008-05-12, 1:22 AM
I have been getting a high-pitched (but not very loud) whine intermittently from the computer - it sounds like its coming from the top left hand corner of the keyboard.  It will stop if i move the computer, or turn it over, or hit it. but a few seconds later it will start up again. unplugging the power cord seems to help, but that doesnt work if i want to keep the computer on for more than 1/2 hour. the whine/squeal/noise has been happening more and more frequently.

I have an X41 Tablet, Type 1869-5CU
I'm running Windows XP Tablet.

Options

7 Posts

05-20-2008

Dayton, Ohio

35 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 2 of 19

Re: High pitched intermittent whine

2008-05-20, 20:48 PM
Mine does the same thing, but usually only when it's plugged in, and charging from below ~90% or so. I have several power adapters (since all thinkpads designed before lenovo have the same power adapter plug/voltage etc). I was using one older style adapter plugged in at my desk, and the one that came with my laptop in my backpack. It's weird, but the old one makes the laptop make the high pitched noise. Any louder it would hurt my ears pretty bad. It's definitely not the power adapter that makes the noise. I think my older adapter is damaged, or somehow creates a less clean power than the new one, but I would have to use an oscilloscope to find out. Mine is so loud, that I can't pinpoint where exactly the sound is coming from, it's just kind from everywhere.

Does yours change pitch or loudness at all depending on how much power it's using (like depending on the cpu step speed, screen brightness etc)? I really have no idea why it does it. My laptop is still under warranty, and I'm thinking about sending it in.
Options

6 Posts

05-12-2008

san francisco

6 Signins

24 Page Views

• Message 3 of 19

2008-05-21, 6:01 AM
It does not change based upon cpu usage. I"m using the adapter that came with the laptop. In a posting regarding another lenovo laptop line (the t something) people mentioned that if you were using an old adapter with a certain voltage it would make the whine but if you used the one that comes with the laptop it wouldn't. 
i do think it is the power adapter because when i take it out it stops whining, and when i jiggle it it stops as well. 
Options

30 Posts

05-16-2008

Canada

23 Signins

430 Page Views

• Views: 430
  • Message 4 of 19

2008-05-21, 19:44 PM
I had a similar problem on an old Dell laptop.  It took me a while to figure out, but it turned out to be a metal plate that sat above some circuitry near the left edge of the mousepad.  I'm not sure whether the metal plate was there for heat disipation or to protect the circuits from injury or both.  The noise was related to overall power consumption, and would increase quite a bit whenever the unit was charging.  It also would fluctuate with each hardrive access or any other change to overall power consumption.  I tried bending the metal a bit, hoping it would then vibrate less, but that never worked.  Ulitimately, I stuffed a balled up rubber band (pretty high tech, eh?) between the plate and the computer casing.  This solved the problem for about 8 months.  After that, the cheap plastic casing started to form a bump from the pressure of the rubber band against the inside of the casing.  Today, the computer still works, but it has a substantial chunk missing from the casing.  Oh, and the whining is back!
Options

31 Posts

01-06-2008

USA

112 Signins

435 Page Views

• Views: 435
  • Message 5 of 19

2008-05-21, 19:51 PM
This is a feature!

But seriously, I think the periodic whine is pretty standard.  Some say it is the CPU or the HD, not really the FAN.  It happens.
Options

40 Posts

05-06-2008

USA

46 Signins

500 Page Views

• Views: 500
  • Message 6 of 19

2008-06-11, 4:47 AM
Do you guys think this would warrant a new HDD from Lenovo?  I have the HDD whine.  It seems to be happening more and more now =/.
Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 7 of 19

2008-06-11, 16:34 PM
the high pitched noise is actually the noise of Core 2 duo processor high frequency oscillation in one of the component, this a design problem of the CPU when not running at full speed, and it becomes more noticeable when running battery.
Options

3 Posts

03-02-2008

Bug Me Not

11 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 8 of 19

2008-07-05, 15:09 PM

Some of you guys are wayyyyy off. This is not from the fan or cpu or hard drive.

I recently broke my power connector and bought one for $12 on ebay. I made sure it came from the usa and had an ibm logo on it and matched the original voltage and amperage.

It happens because of the power connector & jack. It stops when i slightly move the laptop or touch the connector. My theory is that our laptops may not be getting power 100% of the time but intermittedly because of a faulty connector or jack. It may be going off/on very rapidly. I think it's the laptop's way of telling us that. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can chime in.

*hoping this x40 lasts for another 5 years*

EDIT: the sounds never happened with my old power supply, before it broke while plugged into the x40. now, when i hear the sound, usually the plug moved out a little. sometimes windows shows it's not charging. most of the time it shows it is charging. some times the sound happens when i dont move the computer at all. most of the time it happens as soon as i move it.

Message Edited by bugmenot on 07-05-2008 08:17 AM
Moderator Note; please update your profile with your correct country location as per the forum rules. Products, options and services vary from market to market. Knowing your location helps us help you
Message Edited by andyP on 07-05-2008 05:28 PM
Options

28 Posts

07-03-2008

Deer Park, WA

41 Signins

792 Page Views

• Views: 792
  • Message 9 of 19

2008-07-06, 6:41 AM

A noise such as you describe can be caused by the fan (variable frequency) depending on CPU temp...  Or, this same noise can be caused by a dielectric capacitor...  If you hear the sound in the upper left corner, under the keyboard, this would most likely be the fan bearing...  It could also be the fan blades making slight contact with the heat sink fins...

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless it is just the fan slightly contacting the heat sink fins, you will eventually have a problem with either the CPU overheating due to a fan failure or you will have a cap failure that can take out other components.  Noises like this are NOT normal and should be investigated by a qualified service person...

Is this machine under warranty?

Hope this helps...

Dan 

Options

6 Posts

05-12-2008

san francisco

6 Signins

24 Page Views

• Message 10 of 19

2008-07-06, 19:35 PM
I don't think it's the fan as the noise happens whether the fan is on or off, whether the computer is cold or hot. When I switch power cords it still happens. However, if I run the laptop on the battery only the noise stops, and if i run the laptop on the powercord only the noise stops. So there must be some interference between the powercord and the battery.  Maybe it has to do with charging the battery? 
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms