Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

01-17-2009

New York

48 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 11 of 14

Re: an interesting read-Re: Hinge Failure and Screen Garbling...

2009-09-23, 19:52 PM

A month later and i'm in no picnic-

I brought my x60t to a lenovo warranty service provider in my area.

After 2 days I recieve a call that the machine has been taken apart, but an LCD cable that may or may not be faulty is 'backordered' and may take an undefined period of time to arrive.

They asked if I wanted a new hinge to which I really have no use for if the screen itself fails to function.

This runs me $60 bucks for the inspection... which seems kind of senseless since the part I want isn't even around.

My screen functions okay under certain angles and is distorted to high heck on others.  Especially solid blacks...    

I can't believe that nobody around does these repairs in house?!  The machine is built with open information about the parts and the repairs.  

What should I do now?!

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 12 of 14

2009-09-23, 21:28 PM

GrantTedaldi,

The servicer should be able to provide a solid quote for the required parts, and hopefully with that in hand you can make an informed decision about whether or not to fix this.

Having just done this repair for someone else, I'll offer the following explanation with the understanding that not having seen your particular system, I'm speaking in generalities....

The swivel hinge is 'T" shaped and hollow where it mounts into the LCD assembly.  There is a wiring harness that comes up through the hinge and splits into two cables passing through the hollow left and right branch of the hinge.  If one side has cracked through, the LCD will just flop over with no tension.  The two ends of the broken part will grind against each other and chaff the wiring harness, cutting into it.  As some of the wires become broken, they are only pressed together and make electrical connection at certain angle positions of the screen as the tilt of the screen causes the bundle of wires to be rotated.  This can cause black screens, solid colors (like green), or scrambled display patterns depending on which wires are affected.

Bottom line, you will need a new wiring harness and a new hinge.  You may also need a new LCD bezel (recommended) as the adhesive is affected when it is pried off after removing the 9 screws that hold it on.   You may also need new wireless antennas if they have been cut by the hinge. (some models have 2 wire, some have 3 wire antenna sets, and these wires also pass through the hinge).

If the parts are backordered, I don't believe that they will be so indefinitely.  Perhaps a week or two.  At times there may not be an ETA and parts will honestly say they don't know when the part will be available, which can be truthful, but not particularly helpful.   Obviously, we have warranties and extended maintenance agreements to cover, so the parts will become available.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Options

23 Posts

01-17-2009

New York

48 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 13 of 14

2009-09-23, 22:55 PM

Thank you, that is very informative-

... and I take it I need a screen wire that incorporates Bluetooth, Wifi, the LCD, Multitouch, and the Fingerprint Sensor.

I'd imagine that must make the part on the rarer side of these cables.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 14 of 14

2009-09-24, 3:21 AM

GrantTedaldi,

There are two circuit boards below the LCD one on the left and the right.  The one of the left has the buttons and the status LEDs, the one on the right is the inverter for the display.  The wiring harness (1 part) has connections that go to each of these boards, plus two flat ribbon cables that go up to the LCD itself.  The finger print reader is also part of this harness.  The Wifi antanaes are ordered under a seperate part number.  ( You may not need them to be replaced)  I don't believe the bluetooth is affected by this wiring.

Please let us know what we can do to help you with the repair.

Mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms