Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Views: 1199
  • Message 1 of 8

How often does your X61 tablet lock up?

2009-03-11, 23:29 PM

I have a question for anyone with an X61 tablet or similar model: how often does it lock up?

I had a problem with my computer where it was frequently locking up whenever I picked it up (as in almost every time). The symptoms were a frozen screen and it took a hard reset to get it working again. It's gone through warranty repair and it seems to be improved. Instead of locking up whenever I move it, it generally works.

However, in the 30 hours or so since it was repaired, it's still locked up twice, both times requiring a hard reset. I'm not sure if that means that the repair didn't do the job, or if these lock-ups are due to some other problem. I do remember getting occasional lockups before the problem became serious, but I don't know if that's normal or if my computer just has had something wrong with it all along. I was hoping for a little feedback to see how often other people have a problem with freezes.

Please let me know. Thanks. If it matters, I'm running Vista Ultimate.

(By the way, I've had a separate thread going for a while about the warranty repair. Short version is it went in twice to the service center and both times got returned without being fixed. I upgraded to the on-site service and someone came out and replaced the motherboard: that's the latest repair. The tech's suspicion was that there was a short in the motherboard that happened when I picked it up and the chassis flexed slightly.)

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: How often does your X61 tablet lock up?

2009-03-12, 6:41 AM

If it was a short circuit on the motherboard, you would not be able to turn it on. Electronic device is not that tough to resist short circuit.

However, none is my answer to your question.

Do you have Intel Turbo memory on your system? If you have, try to disable it first. I have heard a lot of people have such a problem. You might have to observe a little bit more of when the problem occurs. It might help finding solution much easier.

Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2009-03-12, 11:53 AM

I guess the guy didn't definitively say a short was the problem, he said he suspected that before he started work. Later he just told me the motherboard was bad and didn't specify why.

I did disable the turbo memory back when it was locking up repeatedly and it didn't help. Eventually I turned it back on since it didn't seem to be the culprit. Of course, the two post-repair lock-ups could be from a different source.

Options

58 Posts

05-31-2008

San Francisco

144 Signins

1060 Page Views

• Views: 1060
  • Message 4 of 8

2009-03-12, 15:55 PM

my X61t works hasnt had this problem yet.

Crlamb, did u try to contact Mark_lenovo again, to see if its posibble to get a replacement? since ur laptop has been fixed MANY times.

Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2009-03-12, 16:40 PM

wrote:

my X61t works hasnt had this problem yet.

Crlamb, did u try to contact Mark_lenovo again, to see if its posibble to get a replacement? since ur laptop has been fixed MANY times.

If it continues to lock up I will probably ask to have it replaced. I haven't asked yet. It's kind of inconvenient to replace it: I'll have to back everything up, reinstall my software on the new one, etc., etc., so I don't want to go through that unless it's clear something is still wrong with mine.
 I talked to the service center person (not Mark Lenovo) and he told me since my computer has locked up so many times while it had its problem, there might be a few residual software issues that need to sort themselves out. I'm not sure if I buy that or not, but I guess there's no harm in waiting a couple days and seeing if it continues.
So neither of you have ever had a lockup? Out of curiosity (since sipp11 brought it up) do you have the Intel turbo memory?

Options

58 Posts

05-31-2008

San Francisco

144 Signins

1060 Page Views

• Views: 1060
  • Message 6 of 8

2009-03-12, 23:07 PM

yes, I have turbo memory, but it never works on my Laptop since I upgrade to a new software version, dont know why.

you said the service center person from Atlanta Georgia told you its software problem? thats simply, backup all of your data, and recover the entire hard drive to see if the problem still exist.

Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2009-03-13, 0:19 AM

wrote:

yes, I have turbo memory, but it never works on my Laptop since I upgrade to a new software version, dont know why.

you said the service center person from Atlanta Georgia told you its software problem? thats simply, backup all of your data, and recover the entire hard drive to see if the problem still exist.

I think that he's wrong. I've actually had two more lockups tonight, both as I was moving it, so I'd say it still has the same problem I did before the last repair. The repair seems to have improved it but not cured it.

I'm going to guess that the root cause wasn't the motherboard but that my chassis is flexing more than it should. That could have damaged my old motherboard and it's probably in the process of beating up the new one. I'm no expert so I could easily be wrong, but seeing as they've replaced the motherboard (supposedly twice, although I can't guarantee they really did it the first time), the memory, and the hard drive, there's really no parts left other than the frame of the computer itself.

Mark Lenovo had already contacted me (before tonight's pair of lockups) and told me he'd arrange for some kind of expert to call me tomorrow to discuss the problem. I'll see what they have to say, but by this point, after two trips into the service center and one on-site visit, it looks like replacing the computer is probably the only option -- especially given that nobody else seems to ever have a problem with it locking up.

Options

4 Posts

03-13-2009

USA

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 8 of 8

2009-03-13, 5:44 AM
How often? Probably before I can complete this post. It wasn't a problem until I absent-mindedly allowed an auto-update of some kind - really wish I could reminder what it was. It was recently and I think was a hardware related, thinkvantage thing.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms