Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 1 of 3

I got XP recovery disc instead of Vista as it should?

2007-12-20, 14:42 PM
I have bought X61T around a month ago. Today I just want to wipe the hard drive and setup a new Windows; I have used all my recovery discs, but unfortunately instead of Vista Business as it should be, it turns to XP Tablet Edition. Just so you know, there is no any information if it's XP or Vista on the discs at all. As a result, now I have XP and there is no way to get back to Vista Business as I want.

That's why I have this question. Is that strange to get XP recovery disc while I have Vista Business license and can I ask for the recovery disc from Lenovo since this is just their mistake shipping a wrong disc? If so, should I call 1-866-96-THINK now?

I don't know if this is appropriate for this section, but I found this is the most relevant.

Thank you in advance.
Options

7 Posts

11-25-2007

New Hampshire, USA

101 Signins

1270 Page Views

• Views: 1270
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: I got XP recovery disc instead of Vista as it should?

2007-12-20, 21:20 PM
From what I understand, the XP disks there so you can downgrade to XP.  Some of the newer shipments seem to include downgrade disks if your laptop shipped with Vista Business or  Vista Ultimate.   You are supposed to create your recovery CDs/DVDs on your own.  There is a program included that does that.

Did you also wipe your recovery partition?  If not you can recover Vista from the recovery partition and then create your Vista Recovery Disks.

If you wiped your recovery partition, you can call for Vista recovery DVDs.  They will ship exactly the ones that came with your Thinkpad.  Unfortunately you will be charged around $45 for them unless the customer service rep waives the fee.
Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: I got XP recovery disc instead of Vista as it should?

2008-01-24, 6:46 AM

Did you also wipe your recovery partition? 

Yep, I did; that's why I have this problem :-P and I hadn't backup the system yet as well.

However, I had contacted Lenovo service for several times after I posted here. They kept telling me to call another department and I did but no luck. Unfortunately, the last time I called, I just persisted to talk with only one representative that I did everything you said and it doesn't work. As a result, I got a Vista Business DVD recovery pack via 3-day UPS shipping for free. What a nice service from Lenovo (though the mail I got was from IBM)

I have heard that Lenovo service is suck, but from my experience so far they are quite impressive. Sorry that I post this so late, but I just want this to be a reference for anyone who got a wrong recovery CD that you can ask for a right one.

and more importantly, don't forget to backup your system before it's gone :-P ha h

Good Luck
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms