Texas

42 Signins

309 Page Views

• Views: 309
  • Message 1 of 19

Interesting article regarding Helix and Haswell

2013-05-13, 22:28 PM

and some benchmarks at the end.

http://www.afr.com/f/free/technology/digitallife/lenovo_tiny_new_thinkpad_may_be_YqHFwrGrTODxvnDLhuy2hN

Options

229 Posts

10-08-2012

md, us

501 Signins

5976 Page Views

• Views: 5976
  • Message 2 of 19

Re: Interesting article regarding Helix and Haswell

2013-05-14, 1:21 AM

it seems the test was done without using the keyboard, which is a pity given half of the juice of the helix comes from the keyboard with a second battery and more cooling.

Options

50 Posts

04-27-2013

USA

65 Signins

273 Page Views

• Views: 273
  • Message 3 of 19

2013-05-14, 2:03 AM

I disagree with this review. Let's get real, we won't see a Haswell device of the Helix's quality any time until 2014 Q1, if then. This device is still a Thinkpad, and its fit and finish is beyond the average in the market, to say nothing of the Wacom pressure sensitivity not found in other models out today. This is just more examples of how the press will destroy companies like Lenevo, and Micorosft, without giving them an ounce of slack. They literally can do no right.

Options

45 Posts

05-02-2013

US

203 Signins

847 Page Views

• Views: 847
  • Message 4 of 19

2013-05-14, 22:24 PM

I counter that he did give credit - to the point that was fair.  I believe Lenovo had a great idea and terrible execution.  I ordered my Helix only to be told that it will be fall before it is ready.  That is after being told twice that it was soon ready.   I cancelled my order... 

So, if anyone is doing any damage to Lenovo, it is Lenovo.  In addition, look at all the threads on this forum about Helix issues. 

The proof is in the results from us customers... Not rhetoric from the media...

Options

50 Posts

04-27-2013

USA

65 Signins

273 Page Views

• Message 5 of 19

2013-05-14, 23:39 PM

stso9daa, with respect, I think you're retort misses the mark. First of all, the credit given by the review was in my opinion thin cover for a very empty set of criticisms. Second, their critique centered around the strategy of the device's timing, and not around features or execution, which are issues that you are pointing to personally. Third, your complaints and the evidence to support them (citing first adopters' issues with device), are inconclusive and frankly not proven to be any substantially worse than when Apple releases new devices that contain flaws.

In fact the point of my gripe is that companies like Apple and Google are constantly releasing deeply flawed products, and yet are still given dozens of passes by the same types of "journalists".

The fact is that the media is prone to the same kind of group think that all humans are, and Apple and Google's success has been as much about marketing as substance. Companies like Lenovo and Microsoft may indeed drop the ball on releases, but they're not given the benefit of the doubt that their "cooler" competitors are.

I am not a Helix fanboy (yet). Mine sits unpacked after arriving today. I have yet to judge it on a personal basis. But as this article was about the device specs and strategy, it was deeply biased and used very cheap tactics to cover that bias. It was a fail.

Options

229 Posts

10-08-2012

md, us

501 Signins

5976 Page Views

• Views: 5976
  • Message 6 of 19

2013-05-15, 14:50 PM

the delivery is affected by the supply and demand, which in this case is very unbalanced.

Options

45 Posts

05-02-2013

US

203 Signins

847 Page Views

• Views: 847
  • Message 7 of 19

2013-05-15, 15:11 PM

RedPuppy:

your reply is valid and correctly points out my personal critques of which is based upon threads posted to the forum and not hands on experience.  I cannot provide hands on review because Lenovo cannot produce the UU model for unknown reasons. 

I still feel like the article was more positive than negative.   I agree that Apple and Google don't come close to comparison. 

I am now holding off in hopes that  that MS will offer the Surface PRO with LTE in the not to distant future.

Regards,

Randy

Options

3 Posts

05-23-2013

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Message 8 of 19

2013-05-23, 17:34 PM

The key issue in this article is largely on-point: The Helix is, in many ways, an excellent device but also one that screams for a Helix CPU. Other OEMs will have Helix-like tablets and convertibles by early December. If Lenovo wants to compete, it will likewise need to meet that timeline. Unfortunately, that means the Helix is difficult to buy now given that it appears a major upgrade in battery life (and/or weight) will be here before the year's end (though maybe not from Lenovo).

Options

50 Posts

04-27-2013

USA

65 Signins

273 Page Views

• Message 9 of 19

2013-05-23, 17:54 PM

I seriously doubt that other IHVs are going to have a device of this quality by December, sporting a Haswell configuration. This device includes a very high quality pressure sensitive Wacom, its display quality is superb and exceeds that of anything I've seen in its class. Frankly, the display on the Macbook Air was of lesser quality in terms of brightness and resolution.

I just think this analysis is off point and comparing apples and oranges. Wil there be devices that sport similar features using Haswell by Q4 2013? Maybe, but nothing in this class for sure. 

Not making excuses for Lenovo's poor marketing, and release strategies. They need to work harder on building the brand around these machines, and rewarding the first adopters. They clearly lack even an ounce of the marketing genius that Apple thrives off of. But their engineering prowess IMO still is an industry leading.

Options

5 Posts

08-05-2011

US

60 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 10 of 19

2013-05-29, 12:34 PM

RedPuppy:  One thing you can't forget though is the price difference between this and Apple's and Google's similar products. This is a premium product, with a premium price, and therefore people expect more. That said, this device does look amazing, and makes me seriously debate whether I will go against the fact that I swore to myself I would not buy another Lenovo product after the disappointment with the purchasing process and the quality of my X220. Though it looks like they may make that decision for me. If it were readily available right now, I would be in serious debate about it; however, since, in typical Lenovo fashion, it's just a big guessing game as to when it will actually be available, in a few months when I might actually be able to get one it'll just be that much closer to a possible Haswell version, as well as other companies' alternatives hopefully already running Haswell.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete