Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-18-2008

Houston

7 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 1 of 12

Internal Slim DVD burner and Ultrabase

2008-06-18, 17:11 PM
I just got my new X61 tablet with the ultrabase and dvd-rom drive. the school im going to makes us buy that specific bundle. anywho, i'm a little disappointed that it is only a dvd-rom drive and not a burner. is it possible to pop in a slim dvd-burner? I would probably buy one off of newegg. I could get a external usb powered burner but I'd like to see if i can get an internal one first.

thanks,
Tin
Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: Internal Slim DVD burner and Ultrabase

2008-06-18, 17:39 PM
sn_85, welcome to the forum,

no problem, the Ultrabay Slim DVD Burner will work a treat.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

3 Posts

06-18-2008

Houston

7 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 3 of 12

2008-06-18, 18:51 PM
thanks andy. 

i should be a little more specific.  I am wondering if a non-Lenovo branded slim dvd burner can be used in the ultrabase.  Reason being is that the Lenovo drive is $200 whereas I can get a slim drive off of www.newegg.com for $50.

thanks,
Tin
Options

19 Posts

07-14-2008

United States

31 Signins

330 Page Views

• Views: 330
  • Message 4 of 12

2008-07-18, 5:18 AM

i belive that samsung black 8X slim might work looks the same,

well if something works do let me know as well.

Thanks

NAB
Options

4 Posts

07-19-2008

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 5 of 12

2008-07-19, 20:55 PM

Hi,

I am interest in getting a X series notebook or tablet.  I don't plan to purchase the Ultra base.   I have a question regarding that.

Since the system doesn't have built in CD or DVD drive, how can I do system recovery?  

Can I just get any other USB external DVD drive and will boot and recover from the drive?  

I heard problems that for all x Series notebook and tablet.  You got to have the Ultrabase, and a CD or DVD drive in order to do system recovery or book from the CD drive..

would someone please give me some insight?

Thanks in advance

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 6 of 12

2008-07-20, 0:51 AM

wrote:

Since the system doesn't have built in CD or DVD drive, how can I do system recovery?  

Can I just get any other USB external DVD drive and will boot and recover from the drive?  

would someone please give me some insight?

You could use service partition (Rescue & Recovery program) to restore your system as it was out-of-the-box. 

Yes, you may use external USB driver as well; it is able to boot and recover your system like a regular drive.

Options

19 Posts

07-14-2008

United States

31 Signins

330 Page Views

• Views: 330
  • Message 7 of 12

2008-07-20, 1:12 AM

Well if you check the option customize your tablet, you would see that Ultra xbase if for free.

when i ordered it online, i didn't had to pay for ultrabase.

i don't know whats the status now, i ordered it on 25th June, but do check it.

NAB

NAB
Options

4 Posts

07-19-2008

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2008-07-20, 3:27 AM

Hi NAB and sipp11,

Thanks for your quick response. I feel a lot better now to hear that I don't have to use UltraBase and its DVD rom drive in order to do system recovery. So, I can go to the BIOS and set that it can boot from a USB external CD-ROM or DVD-ROM ? it would be great. Hope in the future, it can boot or recover from our normal USB flash drive. :-)

NAB: I don't think the Ultrabase was ever Free, at least not since Jan 2008, and not from the "normal" consumer web site www.lenovo.com . UltraBase, for X series, has always cost from $150 to 200. That's just the Base. and it costs extra $60 to 130 for either CDRW/DVD or DVD burner. that's total of additional $2xx to $300 there. That's why I don't plan to get the UltraBase. May I know which link or site you see that Ultrabase if free? If you don't mind, would you please PM me or share it here. I would love to know. I have been eyeing a X Tablet since last Nov. Now that my notebook die, I just need a get it sooner.

About the ability to use the recovery partition, I did think about it for a second. However, I do plan to install Linux to it if it supports. And I may want to delete that partition to get more space. So, in the case I deleted the recovery partition, I can still use the recovery CD or DVD to create and copy back a "recovery partition" ?? hope you understand my question.

Thanks

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 9 of 12

2008-07-20, 4:19 AM

wrote:

Hi NAB and sipp11,

Thanks for your quick response. I feel a lot better now to hear that I don't have to use UltraBase and its DVD rom drive in order to do system recovery. So, I can go to the BIOS and set that it can boot from a USB external CD-ROM or DVD-ROM ? it would be great. Hope in the future, it can boot or recover from our normal USB flash drive. :-)

About the ability to use the recovery partition, I did think about it for a second. However, I do plan to install Linux to it if it supports. And I may want to delete that partition to get more space. So, in the case I deleted the recovery partition, I can still use the recovery CD or DVD to create and copy back a "recovery partition" ?? hope you understand my question.

Thanks

Right now, you can boot from your USB drive since I regularly use SLAX as a tool for a unix thing. =) Also, if you want to install linux on it, you could do GRUB and create a menu to access recovery partition as well. However, if you don't want to waste 5-6GB, just delete it. You could restore back via Recovery disc any time you want.

ps. If you want to install Linux, there is a place you have to visit http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki There is a lot of info here. Anyway, sadly you will not be able to use Touch in linux yet. Only active digitizer will work.

one more question, haven't you looked Dell Latitude XT? I mean I own X61 Tablet, but XT is just so charmed. In addition, X61T multi-touch is good, but not great; if you want multi-touch Thinkpad, I recommend you to wait a bit for X200 Tablet--it should have an big improvement about this. X61T is just about its time to go. =) 

Don't get me wrong, I really like my X61T but at this point, I just don't recommend since there will be better choices very soon.

Options

4 Posts

07-19-2008

United States of America

8 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2008-07-22, 2:51 AM

Hi Sipp11,

thanks for your prompt and quick reply.  I didn't know Lenovo has a new X200 series come out, and I did a search after you mentioned it.  they looks pretty good.  

Also I did check out the Dell Latitude XT, however, they are a more expensive than the X61t.  And they are the first Tablet from Dell, not sure how good they are.  Currently, I am thinking to get their XT  refurbish.  I have never bought any notebook in refurbish status.  As I had bad experience with refurbish stuffs, not sure how Dell's refurbish stuffs are.  What do you think?

the price now is fairly attractive for Latitude XT. ...  do you think their LED screen better or the DLV ??? 

Thanks 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms