Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

73 Posts

11-19-2009

North Carolina

89 Signins

924 Page Views

• Views: 924
  • Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Support Experience: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

2010-05-14, 11:15 AM

I thought I would share my support experience, and hope that some kind Lenovo person can help me with my lingering problem.

The fan wasn't working all the time, and making a terrible noise. I also had a problem with it just coming on if it was in hibernation mode. To the point that I would take the battery out when I put it in my laptop bag, to prevent it from coming on and overheating the computer any worse.

The Good:

Thankfully, I had already experienced the woes of "Depot" service. (Send us your laptop, we'll get it back to you in two to three weeks.) So I purchased next day on-site support for this computer. I was able to enter the ticket online, got a call back within two hours, they ordered the parts (funny when I said it would just come on by itself he said he would add a part for that too, like it 's a common problem) and they scheduled the service call around my schedule. All good so far.

The man came, with a new motherboard, which I was glad because I was worried about the heat damage to the original motherboard. He had a floppy drive, and when I asked what that was for, he said it was to put the serial number on the motherboard. Great!

The Bad:

EXCEPT, he didn't update the info. It says MFG_IN for the model number, and _OUTGOING for the serial number. If someone could help me with how to correct that, I would really appreciate it. What does that affect, other than updating the warranty status in the TVToolbox?

The Ugly:

While I was using the computer, it came up and said my copy of Windows wasn't Genuine. Makes sense, the motherboard was replaced. Message says call Lenovo for support. I get the call support center in Atlanta Georgia (this was a big deal in the recordings and the greeting by the technician.) He tells me..... Wait for it.... I have to reinstall Windows! Wipe out the hard drive, reinstall all my programs, can't reload from a system image because it will have the bad hash. Doesn't suggest I make a backup, doesn't say anything but gets ready to walk me through wiping my hard drive!

I hung up on him. I re-entered the product key, (which is worn very thin at this point, if you haven't recorded your product key off of the sticker yet, do it now!) and went through the automated system at Microsoft to get the verification code, and my windows is genuine again.

The support process itself was very good, the technician was very sloppy not to have actually updated the motherboard info though, and the idea that Lenovo phone support goes straight to reinstall windows is atrocious.

Any suggestions on the S/N issue in the Bios? I can see the information on the BIOS screen, but not replace it.

-Michele

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Support Experience: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

2010-05-14, 12:47 PM

the bios information that you want to update requires the hardware maintenance diskette set, which only the depot and the onsite service personnel has, so you would need to call support again and get them to send a technician to update the correct bios information.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

45 Posts

05-02-2009

United States

91 Signins

1255 Page Views

• Views: 1255
  • Message 3 of 7

2010-05-14, 14:13 PM

Sorry that I cannot help with your residual technical issues, but my experience with a similar fan problem (X200T) was quite different and is documented here: 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Fan-Noise-X200T/m-p/197732

The Lenovo depot service worked like a charm.   I removed my hard drive when the notebook went in for fan service.   According to the service record I received when it was returned, they actually replaced the motherboard.   I had no BIOS problems or other Windows recognition errors.  

I give Lenovo a perfect 10 for service quality and responsiveness.  

You might consider cancelling the sketchy on-site service and return to depot maintenance coverage. 

Ken Bour

Options

73 Posts

11-19-2009

North Carolina

89 Signins

924 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2010-05-20, 1:28 AM
Unfortunately (well, fortunately actually) I use my tablet for work, and have tasks that I perform daily. Going without my computer for several days would be disastrous to my consulting business that has supported me while I stay home with my kids as well. My biggest customer is in England, and I update the security radar page each and every morning. I could miss one morning, but not two without losing the contract. I wouldn't call the on-site service "sketchy", he did come with all the components necessary, and simply missed a step. They came on my schedule, met me where I asked them to, and performed the work. Can someone answer how this impacts anything? Only the TVToolbox warranty status information? Does this impact the ACTUAL warranty in any way? -Michele
Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2010-05-20, 2:40 AM

it won't impact the warranty as such, but it is wise to call up Lenovo and tell them about the missed step just in case, they think have swapped out the motherboard yourself (hypothetical).

The missing information in the motherboard bios won't really affect your every day running of the laptop, i have a T400 that have this problem, since the motherboard was changed by my friend whom purchased it off ebay, after he had a liquid spill accident (out of warranty machine). 

Regards,

Jin Li

Options

73 Posts

11-19-2009

North Carolina

89 Signins

924 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2010-07-06, 21:14 PM
Just a follow up: I did put in a new ticket with Lenovo and report the s/n and model number issue. The same technician came out, and said he was almost positive he did it. He went to put the information in again, and it said it was already there. However, when I booted into the BIOS as well as the OS and the TVToolbox, it showed the generic information. So he went back in and wiped out what was there, and then did the input again. This time it updated the bios, and the TVToolbox. Again, on my schedule, at my house actually. (working from home and all...) They did put me off for a few days, which is understandable since the problem did not affect usability in any way. So, I'm happy with how that worked out. It was funny, they even sent him out with a new motherboard, which I could not convince him to leave with me.....
Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2010-07-07, 3:26 AM

the motherboard costs 700 dollars, and he needs to send back either the new one or a defective one. He can't leave it with you. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms