Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

02-18-2019

Switzerland

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Boot Mode (FastBoot) and SecureBoot

2019-02-18, 13:57 PM

Hi dear Lenovo Community

I'm absolutly new to this community and I hope am doing thinks right... :-)

I have a question about the Boot Mode configured in BIOS on the Lenovo X1 Tablet 3rd Gen (20LE). Has this setting something to do with SecureBoot? Let's say what happens with SecureBoot if I put Boot Mode to Fast Boot? Will SecureBoot still be active? Is there a relation between these two settings?

Thanks in advance for a short explanation.

Kind regards,

Matias

Options

19 Posts

05-04-2015

Kazakhstan

27 Signins

294 Page Views

• Views: 294
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo X1 Tablet 3rd Gen - Boot Mode (FastBoot) and SecureBoot

2019-02-18, 14:46 PM
First of all! Welcome on board!
I think you are right in same case
Modern laptops ship with a feature called “Secure Boot” enabled. This is a platform feature in UEFI, which replaces the traditional PC BIOS. If a PC manufacturer wants to place a “Windows 10” or “Windows 8” logo sticker to their PC, Microsoft requires they enable Secure Boot and follow some guidelines.

Unfortunately, it also prevents you from installing some Linux distributions, which can be quite a hassle.
IBM ThinkPad T60 and Lenovo Z570
Options

4 Posts

02-18-2019

Switzerland

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 3 of 6

2019-02-18, 14:56 PM
Hi Yralbiker

Thank you for your answer.

I already know what SecureBoot is. I just need to know if Fast Boot in BIOS has an impact on SecureBoot or not. Do you eventually know the answer to this question? That would be great.

Kind regards,
Matias
Options

19 Posts

05-04-2015

Kazakhstan

27 Signins

294 Page Views

• Views: 294
  • Message 4 of 6

2019-02-18, 17:39 PM
I've used Windows 8 and 10 with secure boot disabled, with no difficulty. I can't speak to others experiences. I would advise to disable fast Start up if stability is important to you.
Fast boot in BIOS isn't a good idea because what if you need to get into the BIOS sometime but won't be able to until you reset the CMOS.My opinion.
IBM ThinkPad T60 and Lenovo Z570
Options

12564 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40679 Signins

429779 Page Views

• Views: 429779
  • Message 5 of 6

2019-02-22, 17:35 PM

I don't think the 2 settings are related.  I tend to turn off fast startup as I have seen too many problems.  I also turn on secure boot when I install an OS to force a UEFI partition structure on my boot disk.  I then change to compatibility with UEFI first.  I am not saying that's what you should do, only what works best for me.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

9561 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78257 Signins

2252830 Page Views

• Views: 2252830
  • Message 6 of 6

2019-02-22, 18:01 PM

Hi,

I wonder if some terms are being conflated here.

1st, a 20LE is an X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, not a tablet.

2nd, Fast Startup is a Windows thing. When it's on, shutdown is more like hibernation.  It may speed things up a bit, but options to access BIOS setup and boot menu - among other things - won't be available without doing a SHIFT+shutdown or a restart.  Fast Boot, Quick Boot, whatever it's called in your BIOS is a BIOS thing.  If it's on, a diagnostic splash screen won't be shown during POST.  Turning it off (the default IIRC) will speed up boot.  Secure Boot is a BIOS thing that requires booting a signed OS.  It isn't directly related to the other things.

are you asking about the Windows setting, the BIOS settings, or ???

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms