Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

53 Posts

01-06-2013

Nebraska

67 Signins

392 Page Views

• Views: 392
  • Message 1 of 43

Lenovo is not honoring Helix on-site warranty!

2013-05-29, 15:05 PM

I was dumb enough to purchase the Helix after all of the problems I had with the TP2. I really hoped that Lenovo would get it right with the Helix. The product is excellent, except for a few design miscues but I have been happy with it for the first two weeks. I always purchase the 3yr Next Business Day On-Site ADP with Priority tech support for all of my companies Thinkpad laptops.

Unfortunately, from day one I have had three issues with the keyboard dock. The connection base seems to be bent or a manufacturing defect because my tablet is very wobbly while connected to the dock. This makes writing on the screen while docked next to impossible. I compared mine to another unit and mine certainly isn't right. The next issue is that my fan flap door on the back does not lay flat when closed in clamshell mode which indicates to me that there is probably some type of problem with the connection area of the base. My third problem is that the trackpad was not glued on straight and as a result I get clicks that aren't recognized and sometimes have erratic behavior.

The worst part of this story is that when I contacted Lenovo tech support yesterday to schedule service to replace the keyboard dock I talked with 4 different agents and not one of them knew what the Helix was or had even seen one in person. After 6 hours between calling warranty services and finally getting connected with a supervisor in tech support their response was: "we are not honoring the extended on-site ADP warranty on the Helix. It will only be serviced through depot repair channels and the keyboard dock is not a customer serviceable item." What? I have always purchased this warranty with every Thinkpad and never had a problem. Now they aren't honoring it with the Helix and the keyboard dock cannot be replaced by the customer. There is no installation or configuration required to put the tablet into the keyboard dock as you all know. Lenovo is becoming a three-ring circus when it comes to service, marketing and support. The website does not list that Helix will only be "depot" service eligible and also does not state when purchasing the extended warranty that the Helix is not eligible or compatible. Now I am outside of my return window with the Lenovo Authorized Reseller that I purchased the system from and will have to spend all day to day on the phone with Lenovo to either get them to honor the extended Thinkpad warranty or provide a full RMA to me and the reseller to return this item.

Many of you might be ok with depot service for the Helix, but after spending $2500 and it being my only computer It is not acceptable to wait 2 to 4 weeks to send the entire system in just so they can ship it back with a new keyboard dock. This also will keep us from purchasing anymore for my company and I will not recommend it to clients as an option either because they all use the on-site, next business day service option as well. Come on Lenovo, you have a great product here and you are charging a premium price but want to provide discount service. You better get someone to look into this problem or you will have more angry business customers on your hands and more bad press about your flagship tablet device.

Moderator Note; subject edited to reflect theme

Options

648 Posts

07-20-2009

United States of America

6225 Signins

23927 Page Views

• Views: 23927
  • Message 2 of 43

Re: Lenovo is not honoring Helix on-site warranty!

2013-05-29, 20:34 PM

I've owned only two ThinkPads, and for both the on-site service has been a life saver. I'm still hoping that there's some kind of corporate miscommunication going on, but if this is really the official stance (no on-site warranty for the Helix), I will be taking a long hard look at the next-gen Surface Pro when the time comes to replace my X220t.

Options

45 Posts

05-02-2013

United States of America

203 Signins

847 Page Views

• Views: 847
  • Message 3 of 43

2013-05-29, 20:41 PM

in light of all the problems I am seeing with this unit, I am not surprised by this.  Are you really surprised? 

late production, design issues and now support issues.  This product is a model for how to not run a business.

I am sure glad that I held off on my purchase... I will be using my laptop for a while longer until a better, well thought out product becomes available that has the same bells and whistles...

Options

33 Posts

05-05-2013

Fort Smith, AR

96 Signins

563 Page Views

• Views: 563
  • Message 4 of 43

2013-05-29, 20:45 PM
I hope this is not true. Lenovo needs to step up and correct this issue. They need to stop alienating their customers.
Options

213 Posts

06-21-2012

United States of America

252 Signins

3318 Page Views

• Views: 3318
  • Message 5 of 43

2013-05-29, 21:00 PM

wrote:
I hope this is not true. Lenovo needs to step up and correct this issue. They need to stop alienating their customers.

I don't think anyone working for Lenovo actually looks at this forum.

Options

29 Posts

04-29-2013

Minnesota, USA

120 Signins

1489 Page Views

• Views: 1489
  • Message 6 of 43

2013-05-29, 21:00 PM

This seems wrong.  

I just purchased this with top of the line 4 year onsite warranty... which is $549 rather than the $189 for the 4 year Depot coverage.

If your experience is correct, it's tantamount to fraud, and i don't think Lenovo does business that way... do they?

Did you pay for the onsite warranty?

Options

213 Posts

06-21-2012

United States of America

252 Signins

3318 Page Views

• Message 7 of 43

2013-05-29, 21:02 PM

wrote:

This seems wrong.  

I just purchased this with top of the line 4 year onsite warranty... which is $549 rather than the $189 for the 4 year Depot coverage.

If your experience is correct, it's tantamount to fraud, and i don't think Lenovo does business that way... do they?

Did you pay for the onsite warranty?

Well , I've seen Lenovo do odd things. I can't mention them on this forum since the mods will just remove it.

The OP said he bought the on-site warranty.

Options

648 Posts

07-20-2009

United States of America

6225 Signins

23927 Page Views

• Views: 23927
  • Message 8 of 43

2013-05-29, 21:39 PM

del_psi wrote:   I don't think anyone working for Lenovo actually looks at this forum.

They actually do.  

Options

213 Posts

06-21-2012

United States of America

252 Signins

3318 Page Views

• Message 9 of 43

2013-05-30, 0:24 AM

wrote:

del_psi wrote:   I don't think anyone working for Lenovo actually looks at this forum.

They .  

I've seen that guy before on the forums but he doesn't seem to have a high enough position to address the concerns that some of us have.

Options

53 Posts

01-06-2013

Nebraska

67 Signins

392 Page Views

• Views: 392
  • Message 10 of 43

2013-05-30, 2:45 AM

Yes. I paid for the 3 yr on-site next business day warranty with the ADP and priority technical support. I have confirmed with three different managers in different departments that the Helix will only be depot serviceable. The sales department is still claiming that it should be able to have the extended warranty, but I have not heard a definitive answer from their escalation team.

I can't return my Helix, even though I have only had it 19 days. I purchased from a reseller and they won't take it back, so now I am stuck with a defective Helix that is my only computer and my only option is to have depot service with a 4 to 6 week turnaround just to replace my keyboard dock. That isn't the main problem but rather that I travel for business and have always had the Lenovo or IBM next day on-site warranty to avoid the black hole of "depot" service. I paid $2500 for this laptop and now I am looking at a very expensive paper weight. If I don't get a satisfactory answer from them by Friday I will have to possibly look at legal action to get a full refund on this computer.

They are certainly misrepresenting this Thinkpad product by not showing any disclaimers that the Helix is not eligible for extended warranties. Plus the fact that they took my money for a warranty that is not compatible with the Helix is bordering on fraud. I was told that I could get a refund on the extended warranty but that does me no good because I can't keep this computer without the extended warranty. I am supposed to hear back from another tech support supervisor tomorrow. I will post an update of what happened and hopefully can save several others in this forum from not only purchasing the Helix but spending extra dollars on the extended warranty.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms