Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Views: 748
  • Message 1 of 9

Lenovo rip-out - Read before buying accessories

2008-02-11, 8:50 AM

Hello,

I want to share my warning to users that want to buy "ThinkPad Adjustable Notebook Stand", item 40Y7676

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=38&Code=40Y7676&current-category-id=34851FD360E5473EB9DFEB639312E18E&model-number=7764

it is listed as designed for Thinkpad X61tablet, you can look it up in accessories giving your product ID and it is also automatically looked up by Lenovo System Update software installed on my X61Tablet.

I just got it delivered home, guess what, it is useless with X61T!!! This stand is obviously designed only for much bigger Lenovo thinkpads, X61T is not lying flat on it, nor there is a way to attach it. I bought this "accessory" in Europe from a third party supplier, as local Lenovo web page is mostly down here.

I wonder if somebody from Lenovo would help me in getting my money back and take this product down from the X61T section on the web.

This is actually third useless accessory from Lenovo and I think the last one I went for. I have "travel power supply" that is an extremely heavy and big brick that could be used better as a door stop. Then I have the "Tablet Sleeve" that have the protecting screen scratched all over after 2 days of usage and the entire thing fitting the PC very badly.

Options

69 Posts

01-26-2008

United States of America

102 Signins

2056 Page Views

• Views: 2056
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo rip-out - Read before buying accessories

2008-02-11, 9:47 AM
i gotta go to bed as its 4:30am..
but i can't let this one pass by.. :smileysurprised:

the notebook stand even looks huge in the picture..
and the dimensions are right there in the specs..
but even so you should have the right to return it to the source..
even in europe..

the travel ac adapter is also a dc adapter,ight..
if this is the one you are referring to you're right..
its big.. at least the older version  is big..
there is a newer version i have not seen yet.

the sleeve for the tablet..
if the X60 version is as good as the X41 version then it fits quite well..
as for the screen protector, it is a softer plastic and for sure its going to get marked up..
thats what its there for, right..?
i used the one for my X41 tablet and was happy to have it..

i can't see how lenovo could have botched it up but maybe they did..
would you like to take a photo or two and post them so we could take a look..?

we'll be happy to help you get the most from your thinkpad..

meanwhile, goodnight from the georgia..  :)

Bill Morrow, kept by parrots
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com
30+ thinkpads from 755CDV to S30, tablet 1 to X1C Extreme
----
She was not what you would call refined.
She was not what you would call unrefined.
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
Mark Twain
Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2008-02-11, 11:33 AM
Hello,
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I wish you sweet dreams, as tomorrow you will have to help me out :-)
Now up to the original problems and you answers:

1. Notebook stand - the biggest problem is that X61T is not lying on it evenly nor attached. So there is really no point in buying it. Size is of secondary matter. I find it ridiculous to put this article as compatible with X61T. You could claim any notebook stand is "compatible" with X61 because you can put your X61 on top of it. Trying to write something on the screen or using keyboard is tilting X61T, as part of the back of the PC is not supported correctly.

2. The travel power supply is ... not for travelling due to it´s size and weight. It helps me out very little that now Lenovo got a smaller one, as when I was buying the Thinkpad I got option to buy this "perfect travel companion". Will Lenovo swap my power supply with new? My message is - do not trust Lenovo Web page offering you accessories, which in light of this and previous "perfect accessory" is kind of fair, is not it?

3. Tablet sleeve - well, if the item is scratching out so badly after few days, I would not offer it for sale or would put BIG RED  warning - "not compatible with stylus usage" - which would stop me from buying it.
Options

572 Posts

11-24-2007

Mt. Cobb, PA USA

618 Signins

20276 Page Views

• Views: 20276
  • Message 4 of 9

2008-02-12, 15:49 PM
I don't want to sound smug, but did you really research those items properly, before you bought them?
Did you check out the web, to find out if there are alternatives, not from Lenovo?
Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2008-02-12, 18:42 PM
I do not want to be smug either, but I wrote this thread to warn all possible buyers if going to buy accesories from Lenovo, however I am not advicing them to stop buying third party accesories.

Funny thing is, that you also adviced buying that stand, which is useless with X61Tablet, find your message at the end:
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=X_Series_Tablet_ThinkPads&thread.id=92

Now back to your question, yes, I did research, I even seen several general laptop stands, Trust power supplies and possible bags
for the laptop, and then compered it to Lenovo products:
- Stand "customized" to fit X61tablet, that in reality simply does not fit it nor support correclty,
- "Travel optimized" adapter that in reality nobody would want to use when traveling,
- "perfect fit" laptop bag that in reality is fitting X61T
 very loosely, being deformed at many times and that instantly scratches the screen window disabling its usage.

I decided to buy from Lenovo because it is Web only experience in europe so I could not detect a rip-out. It seems that lenovo spends more time on making up catchy wording of the item descriptions that actually verify their usefullnes or fit between products.
Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 6 of 9

2008-02-12, 19:29 PM
Let's get some facts on this; RBS wrote in a post started by another OP "Would this laptop stand help?" and had previously suggested another laptop stand from Logitech earlier in the post. I don't believe the ""question"", (he did write it as a question?) was addressed to yourself, but rather the OP. I had also suggested to the OP he might look at the same stand earlier in the thread.

The Travel adapter; it says on the Lenovo website that it weighs 0.43 Kgs. That to me says it's a brick without looking at the dimensions. If you compare that to the 65W adapter you received with your tablet which weighs 0.26 Kgs you do not need to be a rocket scientist to notice that there is a big difference.

Re the sleeve, I've never received complaints and believe me I have some very "picky" customers.

At the end of the day; if you purchased the items in a shop you can always go back and speak to them and see if they are able to help you find a better solution. If you purchased the products from an online shop, you need to speak to them.

As you know this forum is here to help and assist people who have problems or queries, i.e. "I'm looking at notebook stands, does anyone use the one from Lenovo in conjuntion with an X61 Tablet?"

If I am honest with myself I believe your post is more about "spilt milk" and "sour grapes" rather than being constructive help and advice to other forum members or visitors. Just my 2 cents.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2008-02-12, 22:50 PM
I was looking through this forum before buying stuff, as many customers do. Should I have found something like this message before buying my accesories, none of them would be on my list, so I think there will be people rechecking their lists as well. Thats it.

The other thinkpad stand recomentation was not personal attack, it was just a note showing how Lenovo web page product presentation results in mistaken idea that those products are compatible and matching.

I read your comments about articles on the web shop etc, I went back to mine regarding the stand, they are sending me back to Lenovo saying that lenovo is the one that made fault here, and they want to charge restocking fee that should be on Lenovo budget.
The "power brick" and the sleeve case were both bought in US and as the Lenovo order was delayed I had not time to do anything about them and they went to Europe, where I am simply stuck with them.

Options

572 Posts

11-24-2007

Mt. Cobb, PA USA

618 Signins

20276 Page Views

• Views: 20276
  • Message 8 of 9

2008-02-12, 23:27 PM

wojciech_czyz wrote:
Funny thing is, that you also adviced buying that stand, which is useless with X61Tablet, find your message at the end:
http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=X_Series_Tablet_ThinkPads&thread.id=92

Thanks andyP for the support. You hit the nail on the head.
No further comments.
Options

5884 Posts

11-24-2007

United States of America

12810 Signins

291275 Page Views

• Views: 291275
  • Message 9 of 9

2008-02-13, 3:05 AM

wrote:

I have "travel power supply" that is an extremely heavy and big brick that could be used better as a door stop.

keep in mind that 'travel' is not always synonymous with 'small and light'.   convenience also plays a factor, especially for business travelers.   considering that this adapts any thinkpad, ideapad, or 3000-series notebook, plus many PDAs and cell phones to home a/c, automotive d/c, and airplane d/c sockets, it's an impressive overall package.   it is certainly smaller and lighter than combining an original lenovo a/c adapter with a third-party automotive d/c inverter or airplane adapter.

i'm sorry that you aren't happy with it.   hopefully lenovo will facilitate a return or you end up finding a use for it.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms