Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-30-2015

Chicago

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 6

Liquid intrustion bewteen digitizer and LCD on Thinkpad Helix

2015-07-30, 18:14 PM

I had a large diet soda dumped on me while I was riding the train to work, it got all over my laptop bag and I thought my helix was spared, I got most of the liquid off the bag and wiped the helix down the best I could at the time, I didn't see anything later that night when I got home.   However a day or so later, I noticed what appeared to be some liquid trapped between the digitizer and LCD, 2 small bubbles in the corner of the screen.  I could probably live with it, but I know me and this will drive me crazy knowing it is there.   A friend suggested putting the helix tablet in a bag of dry white rice for a few days to see if that draws out the moisture. 

I guess my question is, what are my options if this doesn't work?   Live with it, or replace the LCD and digitizer in one go?   How difficult/expensive a proposition is this likely to be?  

I'm especially mad since I can't afford to replace the whole helix, to buy a similarly specced device is cost prohibitive, unless I buy refurb and even then I don't want to spend quite that much money. 

Options

11953 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40254 Signins

423709 Page Views

• Views: 423709
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Liquid intrustion bewteen digitizer and LCD on Thinkpad Helix

2015-07-31, 3:03 AM
The screen and digitizer are one part. The screen is unlikely to be fixed by packing with rice. What is the model? Screen resolution?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

4 Posts

07-30-2015

Chicago

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2015-07-31, 4:34 AM
1st Gen Thinkpad Helix. 11.6" full HD (1920x1080) screen. I can probably replace the screen but not sure where the best place to get a replacement is or what I should expect to pay. I've seen them on ebay around $120 but don't know how trustworthy the sellers are. Would prefer to buy directly from Lenovo but not if it is 2x or 3x the price.
Options

11953 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40254 Signins

423709 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2015-07-31, 5:17 AM
you also need to know if it supports pen input

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Options

4 Posts

07-30-2015

Chicago

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2015-08-01, 19:16 PM

Yes it has pen input.    It has the pen and the silo for the pen.   The CPU is a Core i7 with HD 4000 if that helps narrown things down any further. 

Options

11953 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40254 Signins

423709 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2015-08-01, 22:16 PM

I have a few helix screens like yours (for pen and finger) that I got from a recycler and I was told that they were good, but I generally only believe what I see myself, even though other screens for other models from this source have been good. I was looking for one with a bad screen to buy to let me test the screens, so I would be interested if you decide to sell. I hesitate to offer to sell you one of these because I cannot be sure about the condition and it still leaves me in need of one with a bad screen to test the others. If you look for a screen on eBay, make sure the one you get has 2 digitizers, one for finger and one for pen. Many helix models did not support pen input. Pen input requires a different motherboard, screen and cable.  The screen you need is FRU 04x0374.  Going through Lenovo might not be practical for you.  I checked the retail sales site and they are quoting $1,514, which makes repair "unattractive".  Send me a private message if you wish to discuss

Rich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms