Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-19-2008

Rochester, New York

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 2

Maximize Life of Main and Backup Batteries

2008-07-19, 22:24 PM

I have an X61 ThinkPad Tablet that I love!  I recently purchased a backup 8-cell Lenovo battery. Under Battery maintenance, I have the radial button “Optimize for battery lifespan (automatically change for me)” activated with “Notify me when thresholds change” option checked.  My question is, should I rotate these batteries as my “main” battery every week or month or should I simply keep one as backup until the one I use most of the time fails?

Thanks, 

jagmeister

Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Maximize Life of Main and Backup Batteries

2008-07-20, 1:37 AM

By the fact that Li-ion battery will decrease the capacity over the time [and its cycle], but its capacity will retain much longer if it stays around 40% or so while not using it.

So, what I recommend is leave the spare one at 40-45% of capacity if you decide to use only one at a time. Then check back several months at a time to charge it back to 40-45% (you could set a threshold in power manager) This way your spare one will be in good condition for quite a long time.

However, if you are on the go daily and using your tablet more than 5 hours regularly, I recommend you to carry 2 of them with you since it's not that good to drain out the battery to <25% every time. That will count as a full cycle. You may swap when it reaches 50% in order to prolong your battery capacity. But if you are using around 3 hours on battery regularly--which is about 50% or so, you may use only 1 battery. It's good enough since it would be only 1 cycle after several days of usage.

It's just depending on your scenario really. But what I would say is don't be serious about this much. Just do it only when you can, your batteries won't wear after a heavy use for only a year anyway. It will show significant capacity drop after that =) At that might be the time you decide to get a new one.

Hope this help

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms