Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-20-2009

Canada

4 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 1 of 3

Operating System - XP downgrade questions

2009-06-20, 10:55 AM

Although Vista is said to be better and has more gimmicks related to tablet PCs, I really need to have Windows XP installed. So many programs I use work much better and faster with XP. (based test I made on clean installs on the same PC) And this is still just a tablet PC. So performance is an issue when compared with even a laptop for the same price.

The only option I see when I customize my order is a XP restoration disk. Will I be able to wipe Vista with this and make a clean XP install? Why would I have to pay for both OSs?

I don't want to waste disk space on a second OS and Vista won't work for me. 

Moderator edit: Added clarification to Subject.

Message Edited by bananaman on 06-22-2009 11:03 AM
Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Operating System

2009-06-22, 3:36 AM

wrote:

The only option I see when I customize my order is a XP restoration disk. Will I be able to wipe Vista with this and make a clean XP install? Why would I have to pay for both OSs?

You have options to buy XP license from anywhere you want, not just by Lenovo. It will work just fine if you want to do clean install.

For later question, it's obvious that you don't like the options Lenovo provided. So, you have 2 choices: add when you buy, or buy later =) anything extra is likely to cost you something.

Options

77 Posts

11-03-2008

United States

79 Signins

560 Page Views

• Views: 560
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Operating System

2009-06-22, 14:50 PM

You need Windows XP TABLET PC EDITION (a regular version you buy somewhere else will NOT work).

Officially Windows XP is discontinued.  However, if you buy a business class computer with Windows Vista Business you are entitled to a Windows XP Pro license at no additional charge. This is the method that Lenovo uses.

My x200 Tablet came with Vista Business 64 and an XP recovery DVD.  You should make your Vista recovery image first (in case you want to switch back).  Then you can use the XP recovery DVD to wipe the drive and install a Lenovo preload of XP Tablet with all the appropratiate drivers and software.  There is no "clean install" option, but in my experience the XP Tablet preload is very light on bloat.

Alternatively, you could try and buy a topseller model.  Some of these come with XP Tablet pre-installed.  Check the Tabook to see if one of these models comes close to matching your needs.  If so, Google the model number (e.g. 7449-8JU) to find a reseller.  These topseller models are often less expensive than a custom order as well.

I would recommend Vista or 7 do the superior tablet features, but if you need XP then you need XP.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms