Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

27 Posts

06-20-2009

Chicago

59 Signins

804 Page Views

• Views: 804
  • Message 1 of 4

Prep work for hard drive upgrade

2009-06-20, 5:29 AM

Goal:  To replace existing drive of X60 Tablet with a new drive.  100 GB to 250 GB (already acquired from Lenovo) running XP sp3

Problem 1:  X60 Tablet with 100 GB hard drive with 2 GB free space.  I do have 4 GB RAM, but there's not much you can do with only 2GB disk free...  If Recovery owns 13 GB and I can identify 20 GB of user files - where is the rest of the hard disk being eaten up?  It can't all be program files.  I have done searches for larger files ( over 5 GB) and come up empty handed. How do I find out what is eating up my drive so I at least have enough space to defrag before I replace the drive.

Problem 2:  Of course, the security system and biometrics stopped working a few months ago, so  I SHOULD put a fresh OS (XP for which I have no disks) on the new drive.  Maybe I'm stupid, but I have tried to create recovery OS disks from the Rescue and Recovery partition, and it doesn't seem to allow me to create just the OS.  How do I do that, so I can fix the security problem before installing the new drive?

Problem 3:  Do the partitions for Rescue and Recovery have to be limited to a particular size,  i.e. the  size they are now or can I allow the new drive to allocate more space to them?

At one point I thought I was technically savvy, now my ego is deflated and I feel like an idiot - bested by my laptop.:smileysad:

X60Tablet 6365CTO Win 7 250GB HDD.
Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Prep work for hard drive upgrade

2009-06-22, 3:51 AM

wrote:

Goal:  To replace existing drive of X60 Tablet with a new drive.  100 GB to 250 GB (already acquired from Lenovo) running XP sp3

Problem 1:  X60 Tablet with 100 GB hard drive with 2 GB free space.  I do have 4 GB RAM, but there's not much you can do with only 2GB disk free...  If Recovery owns 13 GB and I can identify 20 GB of user files - where is the rest of the hard disk being eaten up?  It can't all be program files.  I have done searches for larger files ( over 5 GB) and come up empty handed. How do I find out what is eating up my drive so I at least have enough space to defrag before I replace the drive.

There is no reason why you need to defrag right before replacing hard drive or I don't see one. If you want to find what took all you space, I recommend to use some small tool like WinDirStat. but it will not show space taken by Shadow storage.That's it.

wrote:

Problem 2:  Of course, the security system and biometrics stopped working a few months ago, so  I SHOULD put a fresh OS (XP for which I have no disks) on the new drive.  Maybe I'm stupid, but I have tried to create recovery OS disks from the Rescue and Recovery partition, and it doesn't seem to allow me to create just the OS.  How do I do that, so I can fix the security problem before installing the new drive?

Well you can create recovery disk from R&R partition, it will be factory-default. Everything will be like when you first get the machine. There is nothing related to current issue in your OS.

wrote:

Problem 3:  Do the partitions for Rescue and Recovery have to be limited to a particular size,  i.e. the  size they are now or can I allow the new drive to allocate more space to them?

At one point I thought I was technically savvy, now my ego is deflated and I feel like an idiot - bested by my laptop.:smileysad:

Well, I am not so sure on this one, but there is no need to resize it since it will store all the image and minimal OS that need to recover the system. You can't update it anyway. It will be a waste space if you want to have bigger size than it has right now.

Hope this help,

sipp11

Options

277 Posts

08-01-2008

United States of America

508 Signins

3619 Page Views

• Views: 3619
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-06-29, 22:58 PM

I am considering the same jumping to the same HD: 250 or 320Gig because I have used a lot of space on my 160 in a tablet 7764. I also dowork in Adobe Creative Suite 4 on this machine and store photos. They usually benefit from fast disk access so I would opt for the 7200rpm: example from Lenovo:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=38&Code=43N3411&current-category-id=30DCE24D4AD945988722793CBEEC65B3

What are the tablet HD alternatives, both in capacity choice (from Lenovo) or different outside manufacturers like Hitachi?I would look for a longer warranty to show me the manufacturer planned to build it well.

I assume the only way to do this is clone the old info into the new drive while that new HD is in an external enclosure. Acronis, for example. I use Vista Business (32-bit).

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

jonathan7007

4276-37U -- W520. Keeping an X61t just in case.
First laptop in my house was a luggable Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
Options

210 Posts

12-20-2007

NY

560 Signins

2994 Page Views

• Views: 2994
  • Message 4 of 4

2009-06-30, 2:06 AM

Buying directly from Lenovo is just way too expensive.

If I were you, I would go get either 320GB or 500GB from somewhere else. Newegg.com for example.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150380%201035507776%201309733643&name=320GB << here is the list of 320GB you can use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374 << here is 500GB 

They all are both 7200rpm. Warranty is different by manufactureres.  If you decided to buy $150 one and wanted long warranty, I would prefer to buy 2 of drives above--main and backup one =)

wrote:

I assume the only way to do this is clone the old info into the new drive while that new HD is in an external enclosure. Acronis, for example. I use Vista Business (32-bit).

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

jonathan7007

If you don't need any configuration in each program, you can just copy files you need over thru external enclosure or USB adapter. That works fine.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms