Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Views: 1199
  • Message 1 of 17

Pressure Sensitivity

2009-11-14, 4:59 AM

I wondered if anyone has had success enabling pen pressure sensitivity for an x200 tablet in programs like, e.g., Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.

I have an x200 tablet, model 7448, with the older multitouch (pen and single touch) on which I recently installed Windows 7. Pen and touch seem to work fine for the most part but pressure sensitivity doesn't work in at least those aforementioned programs (I'm not sure what other programs I might use to test it out).

Back when I was running Vista it didn't work either with the Lenovo drivers.  I enabled pressure sensitivity by downloading the Wacom Bamboo driver and installing it. That worked but killed the touch, but by then reinstalling the touch driver I got it all working again.

However, that doesn't seem to work with the Windows 7 version of the drivers, unless I'm forgetting a step somewhere: I did it a while ago and unfortunately didn't take any notes, and I remember trying about a half-dozen combinations before it finally worked.

Has anybody else got pressure sensitivity working in Windows 7? And if so, what'd you do?

Right now I'm using the touch driver from Lenovo's Windows 7 beta page. As far as I know that's the most recent one.

Options

1 Posts

01-03-2010

Raleigh-Durham, NC

1 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 2 of 17

Re: Pressure Sensitivity

2010-01-03, 20:26 PM

I'm having the same problem with my new tablet.  Neither Photoshop nor Illustrator recognizes the pressure sensitivity.  It worked effortlessly with my Wacom tablet on my previous laptop, so I'm not sure what the problem is.  

I have been able to get pressure sensitivity to work with another program (K-Sketch from www.k-sketch.org), but not Photoshop or Illustrator.  If you got it to work, that's fantastic!  I'd love to know what you did.

Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Message 3 of 17

2010-01-07, 21:49 PM

Was your previous laptop a Lenovo?

My experience with my X200 is that the pressure sensitivity didn't work out of the box, at least in those programs, but I was able to get it working in Vista by fiddling with the drivers.

Unfortunately I have been unable to experiment with it any more because I have a bigger problem: the pen/touch doesn't work in tablet mode at all. I'm waiting to sort out an issue with my warranty, and once that's fixed, maybe I'll try to get back to this.

Options

71 Posts

02-09-2009

Washington, DC

139 Signins

1199 Page Views

• Message 4 of 17

2010-01-17, 17:21 PM

Now that my other problem is fixed, I'm back to trying to get pressure sensitivity to work. I've tried a couple things.

I downloaded the latest Bamboo drivers from Wacom's web site and installed them on top of the Lenovo drivers. That seemed to work at first: pressure sensitivity was enabled in both Photoshop and Illustrator.

However, it screwed up my touch a bit. I have an older x200 with single-input touch, but after I installed the Bamboo drivers Windows thought I had 2-finger touch.

Then, for no apparent reason, pressure sensitivity stopped working in photoshop. I did not change anything so I don't know why. It still worked in Illustrator. I tried reinstalling the Wacom drivers but it didn't help.

I cleared all my drivers and reinstalled Lenovo's drivers. Then I tried installing Wacom's Tablet PC driver. There's no Windows 7 version available so I just used the most recent one, which is for XP/Vista.

After this pressure sensitivity worked in Illustrator but not in photoshop. You'd think the two would go together.

Anybody have more success?

Options

39 Posts

11-06-2009

Portland, OR USA

37 Signins

485 Page Views

• Views: 485
  • Message 5 of 17

2010-01-26, 19:09 PM

I've been trying the same thing. I don't use Illustrator, so I can't tell you if it worked, but I tried all the same things you have without success in Photoshop.

However, in software that uses Microsoft's pen/touch input system, it works fine, for example Sketchbook Pro and Artrage.

This is a REALLY BIG DEAL. The whole reason I chose this machine is because it has Wacom hardware, so it would (should) work in Photoshop. But, if it doesn't, I might as well have purchased a refurb Dell tx2.

If there are any Lenovo employees reviewing these forums, I think that this is one of the most important issues you need to address. I know that there are hundreds of artists who have purchased x200 tablets specifically for the Wacom hardware for Photoshop compatibility.

Seth

Options

39 Posts

11-06-2009

Portland, OR USA

37 Signins

485 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

Re: Pressure Sensitivity Doesn't Work in Photoshop!

2010-02-03, 20:41 PM

Bump. To go along with all the other threads I've posted this issue in.

This must be fixed. 

Options

1 Posts

03-16-2010

Switzerland

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 7 of 17

2010-03-16, 1:48 AM

Thanks to some guy over at tabletpcreview.com bugging the wacom support, there's a solution now. The wacom support said it: The Fujitsu has it. And what should I say? It works!!! =) x200 tablet with multi touch and pressure sensitivity in photoshop!

1.) uninstall any driver from wacom or lenovo for the digitizer/touch screen
2.) Reboot
3.) Get the driver here: http://webdownload.ts.fujitsu.com/download/FileDownload/fileDownload.aspx?SoftwareGUID=3DCECDE5-CC85-46C7-809F-0DB2DED683DC&FileFolder=Downloadfiles&FileTypeExtension=zip&FileNameClient=FTS_WACOMDualPadTouch__1043540.zip&FileSize=9346875&From=V3h2aWVxSm1waVhzRnZze3dpdi80, unzip, install it.
4.) Reboot
5.) Enjoy =)

Options

39 Posts

11-06-2009

Portland, OR USA

37 Signins

485 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2010-04-14, 19:28 PM

Thanks a lot for the tip, Xtin! I haven't tried it yet, but I'll mess with it this weekend and see what happens.

However, this still doesn't address the fact that Lenovo's not enabled a CORE functionality of this hardware.

I recently met up with a Wacom VP (on another matter) and brought up this issue during our conversation. He says that the hardware in the x200t is the same as the Fujitsu and the HP tm2. The only reason WE don't get pressure sensitivity in WinTab software is because Lenovo OPTED OUT of that functionality when they designed the drivers. My guess is that they didn't want to pay the additional licensing fee to the WinTab license holder.

PLEASE FIX THIS, Lenovo! Just plunk down the WinTab license fee and have done with it! Why force us to use a driver from your COMPETITOR to enable basic functions on your hardware?

In case you're interested, if I can't get this unit to work in Photoshop, my next tablet will specifically NOT be a Lenovo product.

Ranting over -- for now. :)

Seth

Options

39 Posts

11-06-2009

Portland, OR USA

37 Signins

485 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

2010-04-14, 19:42 PM

Reading over the thread in TabletPcReview, there are a couple more, less user-friendly steps required to make the Fujitsu driver work properly.

I suggest that anyone wanting to use this method/hack, please review the instructions here:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showpost.php?p=179216&postcount=30

Seth

Options

63 Posts

06-13-2008

Idaho

56 Signins

490 Page Views

• Views: 490
  • Message 10 of 17

2010-05-09, 11:46 AM

xtin:  That driver works, however, after coming out of sleep something always fails to work correctly, or at all for some reason.

Lenono Forums,

After hours and hours of driver file swapping, deleting, ect., I have found a combo that works perfectly for me, and hopefully it will for everyone else with 32-bit Windows.

MY SYSTEM:

I have Win 7 Pro 32-bit, factory installed and fully updated (except for the Lenovo multi-touch driver, of course); the new 2-finger input touch screen.

So far, -and it works after an overnight sleep, so far- I haven't ran into a single problem with the pen, pressure sensitivity or touch not working after coming out of sleep.

How I got to this point and got this to work is a little bit of a blur, mostly because I've tried so many different combos, ect.. However, I basically did what sinkpoint said on page 3 (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/lenovo-ibm/22915-x200-touch-screen-wacom-tablet-driver-conficts-3.html#post179216), but I deleted 2-3 files, exchanged 1 or 2 for ones from the Lenovo or fujitsu drivers. And I deleted all but the 4 files that are required to make the 2-finger multi-touch actually work, which are actually from the original Lenovo driver package (surprise!) - no other touch drivers seem to work, even-though they’re newer file versions.

HOW-TO:

1: Remove any driver package that says Pen or Tablet; use Revo Uninstaller to make sure that any extra files will be deleted; reboot.

2: Download my custom driver packages: http://goo.gl/hkJb

3: Install the Lenovo package first; reboot. (The touch or pen might work - it's random. )

4: Install the Bamboo + Fujitsu driver package; reboot.

Note: If you install them in reverse order, everything will work like normal, however, Windows sees the Wacom pen as a mouse and not surprisingly, it acts just like a mouse, not as pen/pointer, therefore the pen flicks don't work with the pen, only the touch.

Let me know if it works for you, or if you run into any problems that I haven't yet. Haha.

Dear Lenovo, get your **bleep** together and support the products that you make.  I always buy lenovo and sell it to my clients, and I've never had a problem with anything you make - so I, and I know a lot of other x200/x201 Tablet owners will agree, you should support them with new, updated drivers, not some really old Wacom Penabled drivers with touch drivers thrown in ontop - which is how it is currently - and whatever the GUNZE drivers are, they're old and unneeded, so you can dump them too!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)