07-08-2013

Germany

52 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 131 of 236

Re: Helix Fans Always Running

2013-07-19, 7:44 AM

Yes, that's true. My Helix stays on 48° (even below) when idle, and maximum 52° when i work in Office-Programs (OnenOte or Word...), and this whatever the fan state is. And with TPFC, i set the "BIOS-Control" beginning by 53°. So it's still acting like Lenovo has adjust it, simply on a higher temperature. And for the normal work i don't need the fans.

Options

18 Posts

07-08-2013

Germany

52 Signins

214 Page Views

• Views: 214
  • Message 132 of 236

2013-07-19, 7:49 AM
But i agree with you ynohtna,
For a device with such a price, lenovo should arrange that in an update or so!
Options

8 Posts

07-11-2013

Palo Alto, CA

11 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 133 of 236

2013-07-22, 18:43 PM

My Lenovo Helix was also purchased through CDW. (TYPE 3701-2PU)

The fan noise is unacceptable. I am calling Lenovo Support to see if it is something they believe they can fix, or if it is just "working as designed". If that is the case, I am contacting CDW to return it.

If it is truly working as intended, I have no idea how Lenovo's review process thought it was acceptable and allowed it into general release. In a meeting, my tablet should not be the loudest thing in the room.

Options

8 Posts

07-11-2013

Palo Alto, CA

11 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 134 of 236

2013-07-22, 19:04 PM

Well, couldn't get through support call, so I opened a ticket with them online. I have been assigned a service center in Atlanta, GA whilst I am in Palo Alto, CA. Will see what happens. :)

Customer service / 1-800-IBM-SERV

Service representative:  ECI/xxxxxxx

My thinking is if they cannot resolve this issue in a timely manner, it may be worth it to return it, and get by with a cheap $350 SurfaceRT and wait and see if Lenovo comes out with an improved design with the Haswell chipset. Right now my $2000 Helix, while handy, is also a headache generating device.

Moderator note; employee / associate ID edited Forum Rules

Options

58 Posts

02-23-2009

Vancouver, BC

137 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 135 of 236

2013-07-22, 20:03 PM
My set up is baically
helix in presentation mode
Dell 24" via display port
Dell 24" via ThinkPad USB3.0
Bt keyboard
Wireless mouse

And just sitting there doing pretty much nothing except word, internet browsing, has constant fan noise. Not even under load
Options

8 Posts

07-11-2013

Palo Alto, CA

11 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 136 of 236

2013-07-25, 0:55 AM

Update:

Lenovo Support aka IBM Electronic Service Call did not call me or get in touch with me in any way (although their log shows a couple attempts at calling my cell phone, which I have no record of), but an empty box with shipping container appeared at my door within 48 hours.

Also, our local Lenovo sales rep and her field tech were in the area and dropped by to take a look at our two Helix'es. Great response and support on their part. They wanted to take a personal look because the field tech had not heard of this issue before.

Take-away is they don't think the fan noise/volume is too abnormal. May be working as intended. Field tech kept fiddling with power saving settings after making sure I had all the latest updates, both Lenovo, Firmware, and Windows 8.

In the process, he somehow got my dock to display the KEYBOARD FAN ERROR that some others have reported in this thread.

Power button was also very inconsistent. Doesn't always turn system on. Sometimes it seems system is on, but screen is blank and power button doesn't do anything. (He confirmed he has had other reports of this.)

TL;DR: Fan noise may be normal. Can play with power settings in UEFI bios to change when they kick in, but in the end it is all probably normal. They recommended I send laptop in for keyboard dock replacement.

Edit: Oh! I was also informed that since the Helix is so new, they would be skipping the Haswell chipset entirely, so there is no point in waiting for an update if you're considering one. They said whatever Intel releases after Haswell (Spring 2014), is what the next Helix refresh will get.

Options

58 Posts

02-23-2009

Vancouver, BC

137 Signins

642 Page Views

• Message 137 of 236

2013-07-25, 1:13 AM
radreck, thank you for this follow up.

This and other issues are tough to completely nail down because is it the helix? or windows 8? :)
Options

26 Posts

10-29-2009

UK

122 Signins

733 Page Views

• Views: 733
  • Message 138 of 236

2013-07-27, 7:50 AM

OK, just another me too post, in case Lenovo think we might go away! A long-time ThinkPad user I am appalled at the noisy fan on the Helix I received yesterday. Far too loud to use in meetings so will have to stick to my lovely quiet but rather large, old and heavy T400.

FYI I have a 3698 6CG UK Helix and, like some other posters, I have updated the keyboard bios to 1.14 (to no effect). Like others my fans start on boot and do not vary with temperature. Also, as with others, all seems to work ok when the tablet is undocked. It is a laptop mode problem.

Lenovo, I sent two Twists back at Christmas for fan noise (because the blades were hitting the casing) and now this expensive machine also has fan issues, although this does seem not to be a hardware problem so I have some slight hope you might provide a timely fix, or am I just a hopeless optimist who should simply send my Helix back to you and give up buying ThinkPads?

Options

58 Posts

02-23-2009

Vancouver, BC

137 Signins

642 Page Views

• Message 139 of 236

2013-07-27, 8:01 AM
Using an IR temp gun, I measured the temp of the back of my helix with the below configuration. Pretty much just sitting pretty there and the temp was 120F 48C.

So in a way the fans are needed but should it be running that hot?

My set up is baically
helix in presentation mode
Dell 24" via display port
Dell 24" via ThinkPad USB3.0
Bt keyboard
Wireless mouse
Options

112 Posts

07-05-2013

Appalchia

139 Signins

1447 Page Views

• Views: 1447
  • Message 140 of 236

2013-07-27, 14:22 PM

wrote:
Using an IR temp gun, [snip] the temp was 120F 48C.

So in a way the fans are needed but should it be running that hot?

I had the same results with my temp gun, averaging between low 40-50's depending on resource overhead and configuration(tablet plus with heavy resources was hottest).  But, unlike others complaining here, I expected that for ambient temp in such a small form factor. I also expect the more I push the resources the higher/louder the fans. The Helix is, after all, a top performing tablet and those components require a lot of power and, therefore, must dissipate the heat generated from the power.

The juxtaposition of threads about the fans working too loud and concerns about heat are just too ironic. I'm not saying BIOS and firmware aren't necessary,  or that some users dont have defective units. There are just too many chicken littles in this(every) forum.

wrote:

OK, just another me too post, in case Lenovo think we might go away! A long-time ThinkPad user

Here's my "me too" post. Most of these threads had me worried I purchased a poorly designed device. Since my unit arrived (US 3697CTO) last week, anything could be further from the truth. After two weeks, and no issues, this is my favorite Thinkpad yet. Im definitely not going anywhere!

Helix: 3697 CTO.

Thinkpad user since IBM. I do not work for Lenovo or any entity working for Lenovo.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms