07-11-2013

Palo Alto, CA

11 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 151 of 236

Re: Helix Fans Always Running

2013-07-29, 10:27 AM

I think most of the posts here posting about the fan noise are not so much that they are convinced that they have a defect, but more along the lines of how unexpected it was.

None of the reviews we read really called out the fan under the various modes of operation. I at least on my part, was really just hoping for a confirmation of whether it was normal, or if it could possibly be a defect.

The Lenovo field tech that took a look at my unit seemed to think that the fan volume was normal, but the fact that the fans kicked in even while idle but docked should not be happening, but from his fiddling with both BIOS and Windows power settings, seems to think it was a power saving vs. performance setting.

It truly is a great design, the fan noise is a slight let down. Yet as others have stated, they do need to keep the components cool for such a thin device. The technology will get there at some point, where we can have our cake and eat it too, in terms of small size and performance.

Personally, I wish they made a 13" version, as the 10" screen is a taaad too small for my liking. I also hope Microsoft gets the pen input updates in for Windows/Office, as using OneNote (my main reason for wanting a pen tablet) is kind of a struggle. It doesn't always detect that I have the pen out and should be ignoring my palm.

In the end, I expect Lenovo service center in Memphis will send me back a replacement dock due to the FAN ERROR I had, and possibly replace my system board on the tablet just to be safe, but odds are the fan level is normal.

Just for some perspective, I had my MacBook Pro Retina and the i5 Helix side-by-side, and put them both under heavy load by running some Virtual machines, and the MacBook Pro was much louder. (It also has an i7 vs. the i5 on the Helix). While idle however, the MacBook Pro is absolutely silent with no fans running.

Then again, I can't rip the screen off the MBP and take sloppy yet blissfully convenient notes with a Wacom pen. :D

Options

7 Posts

07-31-2013

Sweden, Stockholm

15 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 152 of 236

2013-07-31, 10:18 AM

Hello,

I have the same problems with fanspeed. At startup, the fan speed turns up in keyboard and noise too. Then after a while the fans stops, not always. Undock and then dock to the keyboard will start the fans again. Sometimes the fans just keep on going with no heavy duty program running, only Word. It,s very irritating!

My modell: 3698-6CG

Regards,

from Sweden

Moderator Note; s/n edited for member's own protection

Options

26 Posts

10-29-2009

UK

122 Signins

733 Page Views

• Views: 733
  • Message 153 of 236

2013-07-31, 11:09 AM

I agree with what you say, radreck. The fan noise is unexpected, and seems to have led to a sense of disappointment for many posters here, including me. You put it well.

And to those who seem to be getting hot under the collar, (as hot as a Helix?!) about some of us raising issues about the machine, rather than simply marvelling at its capabilities, let me say it is a great machine but yes, I was disappointed at the fan noise. It affected my work - the reason I purchased the Helix.

However, buy using Airplane Power Mode (not to be confused with Airplane wireless mode) and not having a couple of applications open that I would in other circumstances like to have open for instant use, I have achieved a compromise where the machine now runs docked at an acceptable fan noise level, and often completely silent, as it is at present, even with some IE tabs, Skype and a few Office programs running, and all the Lenovo software piled on (expect Norton of course).

I think the latest Power Management Driver may have helped with Airplane Power Mode but am not certain. I don't seem to recall that being selected as default when I first booted up but maybe I'm wrong? Anyway, I can't say I've noticed much impact from CPU throttling back, and the slower battery charge is not an issue when in the office with AC power. Obviously, one can change the power plan if necessary.

So, for those still with fan noise  concerns, perhaps worth checking on the power options, use Airplane Mode, and see if there is any deleterious affect on performance. Maybe everyone has already done this which is why this thread seems to have quietened down or maybe it's just coincidence on my machine - perhaps others could see if Airplane Power Mode is a significant factor?

Options

58 Posts

02-23-2009

Vancouver, BC

137 Signins

642 Page Views

• Views: 642
  • Message 154 of 236

2013-07-31, 16:52 PM

Coming from a x200T, also a 17W TDP processor, I expected similar fan performance.  Though while I agree about how much is packed into the helix is awesome, we are 4 years from my x200T and 4 years more technologically advance in every way.

Like at the lowest clock just sitting there, 790mhz, fresh boot, I figured the fan would be just going enough to have a tiny bit of airflow.  I wonder if the mesh grill on the keyboard dock is too restrictive?

What surprises me about this cpu is how often it kicks into 2500mhz to 3200mhz during the course of my day.  It's turbo boosting quite unnecessarily.   Manufacturer Design is for 2ghz.  I'm not complaining about the extra performance, but I do wonder about the logic of the CPU to go into turbo boost mode.

Right now from a fresh boot, cpu is mostly around 790mhz, with the odd spike to 2500+ with a few browsers open,skype and while typing this message.  The fan is humming, but I can live with this amount.  I do have two screens connected (one DP, one display link) and cpu utilization is a prety consistent 20%  (seems high to me)

Earlier, I had turned my computer woken from sleep and cpu was still around 20% but the clock rate was consistently above 2ghz and very often into 3.2 ghz territory.  So understandably, the fan was rocking.

Why doesn't it seem like clock speed is related to utilization?

Why is the cpu in turbo boost so often?

Here are some screenshots I took.  I was just sitting there watching number and picking good times to take screenshots.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-GrizNXJPk-ZwhX5iB4hHXN08mufIAHiBomlcKAygoE/edit?usp=sharing

Maybe you will say I have hyper V running so of course that's why, but on that note, I used XPMode a lot on my X200T and it didn't break a sweat.

Options

112 Posts

07-05-2013

Appalchia

139 Signins

1447 Page Views

• Views: 1447
  • Message 155 of 236

2013-08-01, 20:23 PM

wrote:

I agree with what you say, radreck. The fan noise is unexpected, and seems to have led to a sense of disappointment for many posters here, including me. You put it well.

And to those who seem to be getting hot under the collar, (as hot as a Helix?!) about some of us raising issues about the machine, rather than simply marvelling at its capabilities, let me say it is a great machine but yes, I was disappointed at the fan noise. It affected my work - the reason I purchased the Helix.

However, buy using Airplane Power Mode (not to be confused with Airplane wireless mode) and not having a couple of applications open that I would in other circumstances like to have open for instant use, I have achieved a compromise where the machine now runs docked at an acceptable fan noise level, and often completely silent, as it is at present, even with some IE tabs, Skype and a few Office programs running, and all the Lenovo software piled on (expect Norton of course).

Apparently, being realistic about bleeding-edge hardware is now "getting hot under the collar". My, my, some people are quick to jump to conclusions and assumptions..

I've had to unsubscribed from several threads where the issues are either a defective unit or when the problem exists between (touch or docked) keyboard and chair. 

There are valid issues and then there are user expectations. The truth
 of the matter is, s@mall, high RPM fans are loud -- in datacenters and on laptops. I wouldnt want slower fans @ 17w TDP. Maybe there are some quieter designs, but unless that is addressed all these precarious and nonsensical workarounds are a waste of time.

Either request an exchange or manually/programmatically control the fans speeds.

FYI, Spell Check is in the upper right of the WYSIWYG editor.

Helix: 3697 CTO.

Thinkpad user since IBM. I do not work for Lenovo or any entity working for Lenovo.
Options

112 Posts

07-05-2013

Appalchia

139 Signins

1447 Page Views

• Message 156 of 236

2013-08-01, 20:26 PM

wrote:

.  I do have two screens connected (one DP, one display link) and cpu utilization is a prety consistent 20%  (seems high to me)

Case in point.

What is the fan situation when NOT driving two monitors?

Thinkpad user since IBM. I do not work for Lenovo or any entity working for Lenovo.
Options

5 Posts

06-27-2013

japan

48 Signins

315 Page Views

• Views: 315
  • Message 157 of 236

2013-08-04, 11:08 AM
Hi,

I received my Helix from repair center last week.
The "keyboard dock fan error" seems not to appear by replacing system board.
However, the loudest fan running which I've ever seen was not treated as initial defective.
Docked helix with NO operation is louder than my x60tablet installed win8.

I gave up by using it.

Your discussions were very meaningful for me.
Thanks.
Options

7 Posts

07-31-2013

Sweden, Stockholm

15 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 158 of 236

2013-08-08, 16:48 PM

Hi,

Any news or progress from the supportteam?

Regards,

Options

112 Posts

07-05-2013

Appalchia

139 Signins

1447 Page Views

• Message 159 of 236

2013-08-08, 18:20 PM

wrote:

Hi,

Any news or progress from the supportteam?

Regards,

wrote:

‎07-31-2013 06:18 AM - last edited on ‎07-31-2013 06:35 AM by Community SuperMod andyP

Hello,

I have the same problems with fanspeed. At startup, the fan speed turns up in keyboard and noise too. Then after a while the fans stops, not always. Undock and then dock to the keyboard will start the fans again. Sometimes the fans just keep on going with no heavy duty program running, only Word. It,s very irritating!

My modell: 3698-6CG

Regards,
from Sweden

Moderator Note; s/n edited for member's own protection

anlo, what you describe is likely as designed. The small fans on the dock are high rpm and will produce an audible noise when spun up beyond 3000RPM. Ive found they are louder without the guard/shroud and when im working outdoors -- both expected.

You may choose to manually or programtically control the fans, but otherwise the most recent BIOS update resolves some issues with heat, dock, battery and fans.

Make no mistake, even if you are just using Notepad, if the thermal thresholds are reached, and the fans are controlled by the BIOS, they will spin up.

If you have already updated the BIOS  and your fans are running excessively or all the time, the fans are uncharateristically loud, or you unit is producing above-normal heat then I reccomend submitting a request for warranty work or replacement.

Options

9 Posts

07-29-2013

Sacramento

7 Signins

86 Page Views

• Views: 86
  • Message 160 of 236

2013-08-08, 19:00 PM

Hyper V prevents the CPU from clocking down. This is a known issue with Hyper V.. this behavior does not exist with VMWare workstation.

Regards,

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms