Belize

71 Signins

560 Page Views

• Views: 560
  • Message 1 of 3

Restore Windows 7 from Recovery Media on brand new SSD

2013-12-04, 22:27 PM

Hey all,

a. I have a brand new Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD which I want to install on my x230t.

b. I have already created a recovery media disc on a 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive.

c. I have already updated all drivers (and BIOS) on currently installed mechanical hard drive.

So the question is simple, how do I use that to restore to factory settings on brand new SSD? I don't want to:

1. clone the current mechanical drive and

2. I don't want to follow this guide as this installs a fresh copy of Windows 7 by downloading the a standard installation ISO and then installing the drivers included in the "SWTOOLS" folder in the C Drive. I want to use the factory recovery disk I created on an USB flash drive as that install all drivers and turn computer to factory state (all at the same time).

Options

6643 Posts

10-29-2009

New Caledonia

17704 Signins

163157 Page Views

• Views: 163157
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Restore Windows 7 from Recovery Media on brand new SSD

2013-12-06, 3:18 AM

wrote:

I don't want to:

1. clone the current mechanical drive and

2. I don't want to follow this guide as this installs a fresh copy of Windows 7 by downloading the a standard installation ISO and then installing the drivers included in the "SWTOOLS" folder in the C Drive. I want to use the factory recovery disk I created on an USB flash drive as that install all drivers and turn computer to factory state (all at the same time).

Recovery media is actually a clone.  At the Lenovo factory, we preload your system by installing the OS, drivers, and software.  The very last step of the preload process is to create an image of the preloaded HDD using imagex, and this is what is on the Q drive of the Win7 preload.  So if you were to use the recovery media you created, all you are doing is restoring a image (clone) of the HDD as it left the Lenovo factory.  This is what you say you don't want to do.

If it were me, I would install the fresh copy of Win7, manually install the WLAN driver and System Update from the X230 driver matrix, and then let Windows Update and System Update do the rest...

Recovery media is OK, but you are left with a 1+ year old preload and still have to run Windows Update and System Update to download hundreds of updates.  Might as well just start with a fresh install and accomplish the same thing.

Options

68 Posts

03-02-2012

Belize

71 Signins

560 Page Views

• Views: 560
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Restore Windows 7 from Recovery Media on brand new SSD

2013-12-06, 20:14 PM

Hey thanks,

So it is possible!

When I meant, that I didn't want to clone the drive, I meant using Acronis or Ghost (or whatever) and clone the current contents of my mechanical drive into my new SSD. I've heard you may run into issues by doing that.

And then I want to stay away from an install from scratch cause I'm afraid I will not end up with how Lenovo intended me to use this machine. I've also heard that ThinkVantage software sometimes don't install the proper drivers. But anyways... If it's possible to install off the recovery media I'll just do that. I just got the machine 2 weeks ago, and the first day I ran updates it only took me 1 night to do all Lenovo (around 1.2GB) and Windows update (around 900mb).

So do I just temporary book into USB Drive and follow instructions or do I need to fiddle with anything else on BIOS to restore from HDD to SSD? Do I need to have any SATA or USB Drivers (given that the SSD is brand new and don't have any drivers on it) while installing recovery or just let it do it's thing?

Thanks,

Ron

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms