Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

06-29-2008

Australia

8 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 1 of 6

SD card reader doesnt seem to work

2008-06-30, 6:51 AM

Hope someone can help!

It would seem that the internal SD card reader on my X60 tablet doesn't work. The little indicator light doesn't come on to say it acknowledges the presence of the card; the card is only 1 GB; and i can't find any mention of the existance of the card in the directory. The card is a mini SD put into an adaptor, i don't know if that should make a difference?

I'm not a computer wiz, and there may be something simple like turning it on, or checking in the device manager... i'm not even sure that what i'm looking at in Device manager is what i should be checking!! ( I'm looking in the bit that says "secure digital host controller -->SDA standard compliant SD host controller" which apparently is funtioning correctly)

The only thing that is mentioned in the disk drivers section is my printer and something called FUJITSU MHV2120BH PL (which is probably my hardrive or something...)

Please help!!

(operating system is XP)

Options

111 Posts

06-05-2008

Columbus, OH, USA

275 Signins

1766 Page Views

• Views: 1766
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: SD card reader doesnt seem to work

2008-07-02, 13:20 PM

The card should show up as a removable drive in your Windows (File) Explorer Window, and since XP is plug-and-play you should not need to do anythinng special to see the contents. 

I would troubleshoot the problem:

First of all, a mini-SD card in an adapter would appear to the system the same as a regular SD Card.   Basically the adapter has the same connectors on the outside and mini-SD connectors on the inside which touch the matching connectors on your SD Card.   I would try a different SD card, one which you know works in a camera and see if it shows up as a removable drive in your ThinkPad.   If so, then you know you probably have a problem with the connectors on your current card.  

Also check your ThinkPad to see if it picks up ANY removable drive by attaching a camera with a SD card to the USB port, this should narrow down your problem to either not recognizing any removable drive or just the removable drives in your SD card reader.  

If attaching a camera works, then try placing the mini-SD and adapter in the camera and see if you can view the files on the mini-SD using the USB connector cable.   Once you've narrowed down the possibilities, then post again with some more details.

Full disclosure: Not a Lenovo employee, just someone with a X61 running Win XP SP2
Options

4 Posts

06-29-2008

Australia

8 Signins

16 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2008-07-03, 6:58 AM

Ok. this is what i've done (thankyou!)

The card works as it came from a camera and it works in the camera...but still doesn't show up on the computer when i put it in the SD drive.

When i put the drive back in the camera and plug the camera in the computer detects the camera (calls it SONY D:)

Next bit is harder because the camera uses a mini SD...not sure i have a camera that takes a normal SD.

When i put the card and adaptor into my printer, the printer seems to be able to detect the card (light comes on and images are displayed so i can print the ones i want).

its not looking good is it :(

i appreciate the help!

Options

111 Posts

06-05-2008

Columbus, OH, USA

275 Signins

1766 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2008-07-03, 14:19 PM

You've narrowed down the problem, but still could be multiple reasons why it is not working.   By the way, as a response to your Device Manager question in the original post, the FUJITSU MHV2120BH is the hard drive and your SD card would appear in the Device Manager right below the Fujitsu device in Disk Drives ONLY when the computer recognizes the card.  

So we know the mini-SD card works and the adapter for the mini-SD card works which probably leaves us with either a software configuration issue with the SD Card reader or a hardware issue with the SD card reader.    Probably want to try a different SD card (one that is not a mini-SD adapter) and is 1Gb or below (because not all devices are compatible with the newer high capacity cards.)   

Next step would be to reinstall the device driver for your SD Card Reader.   Your original Thinkpad specs or the third party card specs (if added later on) should provide you with the information needed to find the device driver for your card reader.      It may be that whoever set up your computer intentionally deleted this device driver.   You don't say if the card reader has ever worked in your computer.

There are other possibilities such as a bad connection between the controller and the card reader, bad connector within the card reader or problems with the software drivers for the controllers but these are less likely an issue than a problem with the device driver for your SD Card Reader. 

Full disclosure: Not a Lenovo employee, just someone with a X61 running Win XP SP2
Options

4 Posts

06-29-2008

Australia

8 Signins

16 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2008-07-04, 10:58 AM

I got a normal SD card today and it goes into the drive (fits beautifully) and the light comes on and the computer recognises it. And now that i look at the two things compared with each other the adaptor is completely different to the normal card as far as the connectors go.

So, obviously in my ignorance, what i though was an SD card and an adaptor is actually a Memory Stick Duo (and i'm told has no relation to an SD card).

So i'm a stupid git, and i thankyou very very very much, for your help and patience. and i'm really really sorry for wasting your time.

Thanks again!

Options

111 Posts

06-05-2008

Columbus, OH, USA

275 Signins

1766 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2008-07-04, 18:01 PM

Not a problem, easy mistake since the Memory Stick Duo adapter would only be slightly smaller than the competing SD standard.  

There are plenty of card readers that connect to the USB port, but not sure what the point would be since you can connect the camera to the same USB port.   Also you could probably find a reasonably priced PC Card (PCMCIA) that is a Memory Stick reader/writer.  

Have a great 4th of July weekend!

Joe

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms