Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

38 Posts

02-20-2015

Germany

42 Signins

494 Page Views

• Views: 494
  • Message 1 of 1

Sound frequency response

2019-03-06, 19:53 PM

(I seem to be pretty unique here with my problem. I tried searching in here, as well as DisplayLink.)
Here is what I can't understand:

I'm connecting my lenovo Helix 2, sitting on its ProKeyboard, through a USB 3.0 cable to the ThinkPad Pro Dock and from there through DP to my monitor with speakers. 

It bugs me that the sound is modified in its frequency response, compared to exactly the same monitor (with speakers) on that same input, when fed from the micro-HDMI port on the tablet itself. While the sound from that micro-HDMI port sound like High Fidelity, the sound through the USB 3.0 and the ProDock and finally through DP has a frequency range of very few little bass, strong mid range and also reduced high pitch volumes.
In short: like through an equalizer set to render speech better. I found that DisplayLink has no equalizer, I also found no equalizer in or for the ProDock.

Now I am really curious where those alterations are actually effected? And how I can prevent it from happening?

Just to be very clear: There are no clicks, no harmonic distortions. 

Being an electrical engineer, I have one suspicion, since I was kind of astonished from the first moment that the correct sound setting to hear the sound from the Pro Dock is setting the output to "Think Pad USB 3.0 Pro Dock Analog Stereo". Strange? I think so, because where does that 'Analog' come from? It should be digital across the USB 3.0 link from the Helix 2 to the Pro Dock, and the DP to monitor also is digital. 

I would love to hear from someone in lenovo if they actually convert into analog in the Pro Dock, and then convert it back to digital for the DP port? Because I cannot see any other place to explain the changed frequency response (to the not initiated: changing the frequency response digitally is less simple and definitely must be intended).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms