Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-28-2008

Albuquerque, NM

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 1 of 6

Stylus problem on X 61

2008-02-28, 22:30 PM
I have a 5 momth old X61.  Like a couple of recent postings, my stylus just stopped working.  I was taking notes this morning, and then I imported some text  from the net. As I was playing with the text box, the computer froze for a moment, but everything seemed to be OK after I changed the screen orientation,  and started to take notes using the keyboard in a Word document. The email and net programs also responded. When I went back to  Windows Journal, the stylus wouldn't work - in any way - writing, closing windows etc.  The orientation didn't make any difference either. I had another stylus that also worked previously on this tablet, and it doesn't work now either.

I turned off the computer, but the stylus didn't work after I started the computer again.

Strangely enough I can use the mouse to mark in the journal, which would be some indication there's a stylus problem, but  I don't think so in light of neither one working.

I've tried to check Microsoft and other sites for some insight, but I couldn't find anything. I was going to call Lenovo, but the horror story also  recently posted, makes me think it won't be any more fruitful. Although I have the on premises support package, the post also indicates no one from Lenovo would even respond to the service call. If anyone has any ideas. I'd appreciate the help.  If anyone from Lenovo is reviewing these posts I'd appreciate your insights.

Because of how I use the computer, it is close to worthless for me if the tablet doesn't work.
Options

7 Posts

03-06-2008

California

4 Signins

146 Page Views

• Views: 146
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Stylus problem on X 61

2008-03-06, 1:24 AM

I sympathize with you, I’m having a similar (if not the same) problem.

But so far, my pen has started working again after I reboot, and my Tablet X61 is not more than a week old.

Options

17 Posts

02-26-2008

Austin, TX

15 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 3 of 6

2008-03-09, 4:35 AM
I had a similar problem and I managed to make it "go away." I don't know what caused it,
so I expect it will happen again. I suspect either a WinXX patch or a ThinkVantage update,
but I have no clue about the details.

I noticed that the tablet details said, "Wacom" and I have experience with several Wacom
pointing devices. I contacted Wacom, they said that the X61 was an OEM variant of the
Bamboo Fun tablet with a USB interface.

I loaded the driver v5.05-7 from the Wacom support and drivers download site.
I downloaded that driver, loaded it, and my tablet was back good as new.
Your mileage may vary.

Good luck,
~~~ Dan 0;-D
Options

7 Posts

03-06-2008

California

4 Signins

146 Page Views

• Views: 146
  • Message 4 of 6

2008-03-09, 20:23 PM
Thanks for the info :-)

I have an update myself.  I haven't found out anything new from Lenovo or Wacom, but I've been tinkering around, observing what happens. 

The pen/stylus still freezes once in a while, and I've have not been able to find a "direct" means to "reenabling" it, i.e., I haven't found an explicit source for the problem such as a bad driver, or some button I can do to make the pen/stylus and the laptop start to interact with each other again.

However, (interestingly enough), if I place my note book in "sleep mode," and/or "suspend," then bring it back the pen/stylus relationship is rebuilt/reconnected and it works fine.  I've tried this several times when it freezes and it works consistently.

With a little more information about a) Wacom / Pen relationship b) the Wacom / Pen relationship to the notebook c) the "sleep mode / suspend" operation, we could start to piece together what the cause is.

That is to say, what happens when the laptop is placed into sleep mode, vs what happens when it is brought out of sleep, i.e., what operations does the laptop re-initialize when it wakes up? 

The bad news is all of this, although, ultimately knowable, is probably too tecnical and/or would just take too much time to figure out.  Someone at Lenovo / Wacom, who is more technical, will ulitimately have to figure it out and fix it. :-)

All and all, I'm happy it is still working, apparently some people's stylus just totally stops working.

Thanks again for the update.

man qua man
Options

17 Posts

02-26-2008

Austin, TX

15 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 5 of 6

2008-03-10, 2:08 AM
I recommend that you wrap up what you know and see what Wacom says. They have always been
supportive of the tablets that I've owned prior to the X61.

~~~ Dan 0;-D

Options

1 Posts

06-23-2008

Boston, MA

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 6 of 6

2008-06-23, 12:29 PM
We've been experiencing this issue too.  Anyone know of any real fixes?

Message Edited by jimgon on 06-23-2008 06:01 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms