Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-12-2008

Australia

4 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 1 of 5

ThinkPad Advance Ultrabay Battery : Irreparable Damage message

2008-06-12, 11:31 AM
I have an Ultrabbay battery which replaces my optical drive. This now does nothing at all - will not charge and displays 'Irreparable Damage' message on the Battery Information page. Less than a year old and only a few cycles on it.

How do I get this replaced?

Thanks

SJ
Options

83 Posts

06-01-2008

Dallas

116 Signins

3849 Page Views

• Views: 3849
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: ThinkPad Advance Ultrabay Battery : Irreparable Damage message

2008-06-16, 16:48 PM
Stumpjumper,

Please refer to the Lenovo support page: 
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-67765

If you're getting the "irreparable damage" error, then chances are you have a battery that's eligible for replacement.  There are instructions on that page.  There's also a battery verification tool you can run to verify if you're battery is eligible.

Hope this info helps. 

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 3 of 5

2008-06-18, 20:21 PM
Stumpjumper,

kr00zn is right in the recommendation. 

However, I don't believe the ultrabay batteries are typically affected and may or may not be flagged by the tool.  If the battery is not identified by that tool, but your system is less than a year old (from start of warranty) then your battery can be replaced under standard warranty. 

If the tool doesn't help you, give your local Lenovo support center a call.  They should be able to arrange a replacement.

Mark
Options

1 Posts

07-25-2008

Chicago, IL

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 4 of 5

2008-07-25, 18:23 PM

Hi,

I have an x60 tablet that is displaying the same "irreparable damage" error message about the battery.  My battery was in "good" condition yesterday.  Last night I shut down the computer, just now I turned it back on and suddenly it displayed the error message.  It has 80% charge, but the battery light is just flashing amber.   Unfortunately it is over a year old (has 330 cycles) and the battery verification tool's link tells me "this page cannot be found".  As a matter of fact, not a single link on the lenovo website's "support and downloads" page works for me.  Every one says "page cannot be found".

Any suggestions??

Options

111 Posts

06-05-2008

Columbus, OH, USA

275 Signins

1766 Page Views

• Views: 1766
  • Message 5 of 5

2008-07-26, 0:44 AM

This "Irreparable Damage" error message may be deceiving.   In my case the same message popped up for a brand new extended battery that fits on the bottom of the tablet (in place of the Ultrabay).   After Lenovo sent me a replacement, the same message popped up again, leading me to look for other issues.    The fix turned out to be fairly simple, I plugged in the laptop at the side (not through the Ultrabay), removed the primary battery and then attached the secondary battery to the bottom of the tablet.    This fully charged a battery that refused to charge before and also removed the error messages. No battery issues or error messages since that time.   While your situation is different, be aware that this message does not guarantee a hardware/battery problem and may be related to software issues.   

Joe

Full disclosure: Not a Lenovo employee, just someone with a X61 running Win XP SP2
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms