Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Tablet and Helix Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

83 Posts

03-28-2013

USA

168 Signins

786 Page Views

• Views: 786
  • Message 11 of 17

Re: ThinkPad Helix: educator/presenter corner I :)

2013-05-08, 14:19 PM

A quick overview for projections.  What I would like to be able to do is to wirelessly project for PowerPoint presentations both in the classroom for lectures and as well as for professional presentations.  With Widi this should work fine.  My other constraint is that in the classroom I also want to project in portrait mode.  Here I use the extended screen with the projection screen in landscape and my tablet rotated to portrait.  This simulates and overhead projector. 

I have done this tethered (direct hook up to projector) with my Lenovo x61 Tablet which the helix is replacing.  I can do this with the Helix with the HDMI to VGA adapter.  However, on some systems there is a resizing issue, but that is another topic.  Here I would like to talk about experiments with wireless projection adapters.  I have explored 2,  NETGEAR PTV3000-100NAS PUSH2TV 8 cm (3.25 in) x 5 cm  (2 in) 1 cm (1/2 in) and Belkin Screencast 17 cm (6.75 in) x 14 cm  (7 in) 3 cm (1.25 in).

My conclusions are that 1) neither was made for classroom/projection use but rather for tv use and 2) I think that with a firmware upgrade these could be made to work great in the classroom.  Having said that, they do project of course and can be used in the classroom/projection, but the image is sized smaller and different aspect ratio than the projection size available and what is typically used for ppt.   This does not happen for tethered presentations.

Belkin

Test using my portable Toshiba projector with a Cable Matters HDMI to VGA adapter

The adapter is a single small cable not powered

1. Works
  2. When screen starts up it says it is projecting at 1024 x 768.
  3. Before activating Widi there is the white projection “space” on the screen
  4. Activating Widi, the Belkin projects fully into this space
  5. Works perfectly for what I would like to do, but this is not the system I would use of course

Test in the classroom with a Cable Matters HDMI to VGA adapter

1. Works
  2. Does not say what resolution it is projecting at as was the case with the Toshiba
  3. I checked the projector, it is set to auto resolution, but results do not change using other projector setting.  Also as we move among classrooms we cannot always be fiddling with the projectors which in many cases are not easily accessed.  System has to work generically.
  4. Before activating Widi there is the white projection “space” on the screen
  5. Activating Widi, the Belkin does not project fully into this space.  The image is smaller.  Should point out that the Widi screen adjust is set at 15 which is the max.  This smaller size greatly reduces the effectives of portrait presentations as well as landscape.
  6. In extended mode the recommended setting are 1920 by 1080.  Setting the system to 1024 x 768 reduced the image size further.

Test in the classroom with a HDMI Video Converter ultimate. 

1. The adapter is 11 cm (4.25 in) x 8 cm  (3 in) 2.5 cm (1 in) and powered
  2. Same issue of projection image as with the Cable Matters adapter
  3. Setting image to 1024 x 768 does not reduce the image size as was the case with the Cable matters.
  4. Given the size and need for power, hooking this to the Belkin rather than the Cable Matters does not make sense

NETGEAR

1. Test using my portable Toshiba projector with a Cable Matters HDMI to VGA adapter
  2. Does not work
  3. Test in the classroom with a HDMI Video Converter ultimate. 
  4. Projects 16/9 aspect ratio and CMYK not RGB, image is pink

Test in the classroom with a Cable Matters HDMI to VGA adapter

1. Does not work
  2. Kept cycling through H___kHz and V___Hz settings (shown on the screen) and for each setting it said it was not supported.

Test in the classroom with a HDMI Video Converter ultimate. 

1. Works
  2. Same issues of projection as with the Cable Matters adapter
  3. Setting image to 1024 x 768 does not reduce the image size as was the case with the Cable matters.
  4. Given the size of the adapter and need for power  this really defeats using the NEATGEAR with the benefits of the small size.

In summary, both adapters work fine for HD TV, I have streamed movies and slide shows. The NETGEAR is smaller and supports Miracast as well as WIDI.  So the NETGEAR also works with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1.  But this is not the purpose of my review.  We need a system that can be used in the classroom, and I hope that either or both can work this out.  The other issue is that the HDMI to VGA adapter makes a difference and the units do not interact with them in the same way.  I have another adapter (similar looking to the Cable Matters) which works ok with the Belkin in the classroom but not with the Toshiba as it projects in CMYK not RGB and image is pink.  It does not work at all with the NETGEAR (in other words not even the cycle of H___kHz and V___Hz settings are seen on the screen on the screen).

Options

88 Posts

05-04-2013

Australia

163 Signins

1026 Page Views

• Views: 1026
  • Message 12 of 17

2013-05-09, 3:26 AM
What kind of performance are you guys getting with the Widi? Is there a decent latency, or is it pretty close to 1:1 movement?

Would you ever use it for work, or only for presentation and watching media?
____
Lenovo Helix i7 256gb... wish I bought a Surface Pro for better support...
Options

83 Posts

03-28-2013

USA

168 Signins

786 Page Views

• Message 13 of 17

2013-05-09, 12:10 PM

Not sure what you mean by using for work.  I will use it in the classroom and possible for meetings.  My only issue is the type of projection we get right now out of the adapters.  Even with tht it is usable, but does not take full advantage of the projector.  This help?

dave

Options

88 Posts

05-04-2013

Australia

163 Signins

1026 Page Views

• Views: 1026
  • Message 14 of 17

2013-05-11, 8:44 AM
I meant would you use it on a desk setup with a monitor so you wouldn't have to plug in and unplug, or would the response time be far too low.
____
Lenovo Helix i7 256gb... wish I bought a Surface Pro for better support...
Options

83 Posts

03-28-2013

USA

168 Signins

786 Page Views

• Message 15 of 17

2013-05-13, 12:33 PM

Interesting idea,  From what I can tell from my experiences wit the projectors I do not see much lag

Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 16 of 17

2013-06-22, 19:03 PM

Davetong, could you please tell me what exact drivers you had to install to successfully connect to the PTV3000?

With default drivers, it detected the PTV3000 but could not connect (several minutes of trial, but no confirmation code requested so it finally failed). I updated the firmware of the WiDi receiver, no better results. I've updated Helix drivers for WiDi and WiFi from the Lenovo website, still the same issue: I can see the PTV3000, but not connect to it. I've updated them from the Intel website, still not better (plus the WiDi manager often freezes at splash screen when I run it).

I will use the PTV3000 mostly for TV. I could use it too for work and presentations to students at the University, but that won't be my main priority.

Many thanks in advance.

Options

120 Posts

04-13-2013

France

397 Signins

1781 Page Views

• Views: 1781
  • Message 17 of 17

2013-06-22, 21:47 PM

Ok so apparently the problem came from the fact I was connected to WiFi. Disconnecting from the WiFi network allowed adding the PTV3000 as a wireless device of my Helix (the digit code was asked). However, now the device as an orange icon in the WiDi manager, but won't connect anyway. It doesn't matter whether I'm connected to any WiFi network or no: the PTV3000 won't connect. The "Pending connection" (or similar translation, it's in French for me) will hang for centuries. :/

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms